What do real, labor contractions feel like??

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Leanne78
  • 3 Post By BabyLove23
  • 1 Post By Leanne78
  • 1 Post By *Izzy's*Mommy*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2012, 07:15 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I know a lot of people experience them differently, so what do they feel like to you? Just curious!

To me they feel like the worst stomach virus, diarrhea pains!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
August 13th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
To me, they were AWFUL period pains. I didn't even notice the tightening feeling because the cramps were just so bad. I was induced though and it really went from nothing to full on every other minute contractions. I don't know what a natural progression would feel like or how they would start. I will say though that I've had pain that bad before with my regular period.

August 13th, 2012, 07:39 AM
BlndGrl8's Avatar Kaitlin & Cameron's Mommy
For me, they were the worst menstrual cramps I've ever felt. Painful enough for me to be throwing up and I couldn't even keep water down. I was already 5 CM dialated when I woke up that morning and went to the hospital, so that's where I think I started feeling pain. All I could do was grip the bedrail to get me through it. Everything I learned with the Bradley Method went out the window when I was in the moment
August 13th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Kristin - Me too, all my Hypnobabies "light switching" & "pressure waves" stuff went out the window. Sorry, I was feeling no "pressure waves". It was more like someone was running over my ovaries with a lawn mower. It was all I could do to drink water between the contractions and I did throw up too. I usually do when I'm in pain and hungry.
BlndGrl8 likes this.

August 13th, 2012, 08:32 AM
fireflyluna13's Avatar Super Mommy
Feels like tons of pressure in my whole uterus and cramps that feel like diarrhea and period pains combined. The actual pain is low, while the pressure for me is more pronounced near my fundus and takes my breath away. It's a toss up which sensation is more uncomfortable to me.
~Selena, mom to 3 boys: Alex 10, William 8. and Baby boy #3 Lukas Araya born 10/28/2012

Lukas was born with moderate to severe metopic craniosynostosis with trigonocephaly. Corrective surgery performed March 18, 2013. We are on the other side!!!
August 13th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Country928's Avatar Marisa
they only thing i really remember is the pain. I had never felt pain like that before in my life. my mom said i was acting like i had kidney stones again.
August 13th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I really can't remember that far back! I know when I was in labor with my daughter, I hadn't been feeling the contractions at all, but was registering them on the machine - then I was induced, but still have trouble remembering exactly what they felt like.

The only really vivid thing I remember was the immense pressure down in that region when it was time to push. I don't remember it as pain though, just immensely uncomfortable!

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

August 13th, 2012, 12:58 PM
LindsayGriff
Mine were like a bad intense cramp at the beginnning when they were like 10 mins apart but then when they got closer together they became more intense and right before the epidural when I was 6cm dilated and they were 2 min apart they were like a severe charley horse cramp and I couldn't even try to breathe through them. By the time one went away, the next would start up and I was begging for the epidural. DH wanted me to try to breathe and remember my focus point and tried rubbing my shoulders and I eventually snapped back at him and told him he had no clue what I was going through and I needed the epidural now!

Thank you peimum for my siggy
August 13th, 2012, 01:24 PM
BabyLove23's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ive never had contractions......and reading this thread is making me appreciate that scheduled c-section more and more

Lmao!!!!
Leanne78, kristap4 and anhoyle like this.

Thank you peimum for my siggie!!!
August 13th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Lol, you know as bad as it was, I knew we were getting somewhere and they kept telling me the worse it hurt, the better because it meant the induction was working. You get kind of determined and it's not like you have a choice, so you just push through. Mine were a minute apart for almost 2 hours before that dang epidural guy got there. Had it not been an induction, they probably would have only been that intense right at the end and not from the moment they started the meds when I was 1 cm. Kind of wondering how it's going to go this time. Really don't want to be induced again!
BabyLove23 likes this.

August 13th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Honestly I think my period cramps were worse, but I get horrible cramps. Pitocin induced contrax do feel like period cramps on crack (without an epi) but I think natural contrax just feel like someone is squeezing the crap out of you and a lot of pressure taking your breath away. When the baby is crowning and I'm ready to push I always get this incredibly sharp pain on my lower right side that feels like a knife, much worse than contractions and now I know that pain means business!!

August 13th, 2012, 07:42 PM
kristiemarie518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It felt like my whole body was a uterus and it was squeeeeeezing. It hurt. Lol.

August 13th, 2012, 08:34 PM
BlndGrl8's Avatar Kaitlin & Cameron's Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne78 View Post
Kristin - Me too, all my Hypnobabies "light switching" & "pressure waves" stuff went out the window. Sorry, I was feeling no "pressure waves". It was more like someone was running over my ovaries with a lawn mower. It was all I could do to drink water between the contractions and I did throw up too. I usually do when I'm in pain and hungry.
Amber, I told my friend who gave me the Bradley Method book that I was gripping the bedrails and she says "Oh you can't do that!" I told her "well it worked and I didn't even scream!" I know she did, haha!
I know this time around I'll probably just grip those darn rails and then end up being sore from that!
August 14th, 2012, 12:03 AM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had back labor and it was freaking awful!! Horrible, crippling pain. Felt like my body was going to split open. I tried the hot shower on my back...didn't help. I made Chris rub my lower back with every contraction, even though I was doubled over pretty much.

Being induced was no picnic! As soon as I had my baby in my arms though, the pain melted away. I felt like a superhero for what I had gone through and what I had done. Best experience of my life.
Leanne78 likes this.

August 14th, 2012, 04:36 AM
LiamsMother's Avatar Amanda (Amahnda)
I also had back labor. It felt like my spine was going to snap in half. When I told the nurse this, she said "I can assure you, it won't". I thought she was crazy. There was no way my back could feel like that and it not break. Even though I had to have an emergency c-section with Liam right at the end, I am glad I'll never have to go through labor pain again.

August 14th, 2012, 10:42 AM
~l~
I had always heard it felt like intense period cramps, but it didn't feel like that for me. Mine was more like waves of the worst, most horrible diarrhea pains in my life. Even before the pain started, I could sense when one was coming and I just wanted to cry and somehow get it to stop.
August 14th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I thought I replied to this but I guess I didn't hit reply. I agree with everyone else, mine also felt like intense menstrual cramping. At first they were almost just like period cramps but as they got to be one on top of the other it was just intense. I didn't really feel the tightening or hardening of my uterus, just the cramping really. Once I got closer to transition I couldn't do anything but breathe through them and close my eyes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search