Tuesday Two

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Lol! Yeah, I did a lot of reading reviews because some of the cloths are too soft to efficiently clean the poo without just smearing it. I'll review the ones I got once they've seen a few of Akadia's diapers (Grovia ones). Akadia has chronic constipation so she's on Miralax every day and cloth diapering & wipes is going to be interesting because she's never "solid".

August 14th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Katherine, I figured if I forget to separate them then that is certainly the worst that can happen and is no biggie.

Look forward to your reviews, Amber!

August 14th, 2012, 06:06 PM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
The disposable wipes are strong enough that they aren't going to disintegrate in the wash like toilet paper or a paper towel or even a piece of paper would. I usually found them stuck to the microfiber, lol!

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

August 14th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I already use disposable wipes to clean my makeup off the back of my hand when putting it on and somehow have managed to get them mixed in with laundry a few times.

August 14th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cloth and I rinse the poo out before I put them in my washer. For some reason it skeeves me out to leave the poop on the diaper when its sitting waiting to be washed.

August 14th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne78 View Post
Robyn - I wasn't going to use cloth wipes either at first and I probably will still have disposable ones in the diaper bag. I got to thinking about what I do with the disposables though. I always clean the bum and shove the wipe inside the diaper before I roll it up. It's totally habit now. I don't want to have to have a separate trash can just for dirty wipes, so I figure with cloth wipes, I'll just do what I've always done, stick them in the diaper and put it all in the wet bag. I'm already washing the diapers, so the wipes aren't really an extra chore for me. We'll see how it actually goes in practice though!
That's exactly why I decided to try cloth wipes, too. The thought of them totally grossed me out, but running from wetbag to trash was becoming a hassle, and plus I went through so many wipes at a time since one wipe doesn't go far- and they get expensive! It turned out to be not what I expected at all! lol super easy and just throw them in the wetbag with the diaper and good to go!

The ones I have are just cut up receiving blankets, and then I had a friend of mine make a couple dozen, just regular flannel ones. I only need 2 per diaper change with my toddler.. well when he was in diapers anyway.

August 14th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Nicole - Do you have a sprayer or do you just clean them in the toilet? I know I'm going to have to rinse Akadia's poo because there's plenty of it and I don't want to just throw that in the wash. It's too soft though to dump out of the diaper so it's going to have to be rinsed somehow.

August 14th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I have a wash sink with a sprayer in my laundry room. We will be moving next year and Im sure I wont have a wash sink. I will either get a spayer thingy or take them out back and wash them out if I need to.

Leanne get flushable liners for Akadia. So easy!

August 14th, 2012, 08:39 PM
I have always really wanted to do cloth diapers, but in stating that, I considered the compostable/flushable liners in the cloth diaper covers when I say that.

We decided that we would be doing full disposables for several reasons though.

The cost of the flushable liners (like g-diapers) are nearly double the sale price per disposable diaper; even the good ones. They are nearly double the cost of the generic brand diapers most friends use and say work nearly as good as the brand name. There is zero cost savings in doing this method as I initially considered. It seems to me that the disposable/flushable inserts never go on sale for much less than the most expensive disposable diaper per unit.

I mentioned cloth diapers (of any method) to the daycare provider we would be using. She stated she has never been asked about them before, and seemed hesitant. She said she wouldn't rule out the idea, but would have to look into things. I believe one of those was if the wet bag is considered a biohazard and how she would need to manage doing that in our state/county with her licensing. It seems like some extra hassle for her and I really don't want to do that to her. Even if we did cloth I think I would likely end up sending disposables to her (and that also would eliminate much of the cost savings since I work full time).

I don't believe I could handle doing the full cloth diapers even though I hear from friends they aren't that hard. With that, my husband is a major germ freak and said he seriously gets sick at the thought of putting even just wet diapers through our washer. I told him about the sanitize cycle we have, as well as the methods used for the diapers in cleaning and he still was really against this for the "ick," factor.

We do a lot of travel (air, hotel, staying with family out of state, condos) and I feel in these situations I would end up using disposables anyway, which again would eliminate some of the cost savings of doing the cloth.

We likely will only have one child, so the idea of reusing the diapers in the future for us is unlikely; and again dips into the cost savings overall. I do understand they resell well, however I don't know that we would be interested in doing Craigslist as we have chosen not to buy/sell on there in the past; and ebay/paypal fees have gone so high we don't do that anymore either.

The initial investment of having the cloth diapers for me to do at home (basically evenings/weekends and overnight if they work well for that as I hear each child is different overnight) is minimal. They would still need to be washed as frequently as I would have to do if I were doing full time cloth diapering, and really that just adds extra laundry (for doing them part time).

I think we had other reasons too; however the above pretty well justified for us that disposables would fit into our lifestyle the best, despite the massive cost of doing them; and my interest in cloth.
August 14th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Nicole - I got her some disposables for her Flip covers. I usually know when the Miralax is kicking in and she usually does several small dirty diapers in a row before the mother load so I'll know when to use them. Poor kid has had problems since birth. They had to give her a suppository as a newborn because she was born constipated and wouldn't go on her own. I'm praying the next kid is regular! Sorry to get off topic Robyn!

August 14th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Poor Akadia!

August 14th, 2012, 09:01 PM
No worries! I can't believe how many cloth diapering mamas we have in here!

And yeah, poor Akadia.

August 15th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Kaniscooo's Avatar Super Mommy
Cloth! Our first reason was to save money, it really just seems like an altogether better choice for us. MIL lives 5 hours away so when we go on trips to see her I plan on using disposables, but any other time we'll be using the cloth.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search