Sushi?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By BrooklynBump
  • 1 Post By Shades of Grey
  • 2 Post By Wishinfor2ndblessing

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Any mamas eating sushi at all while preggo? I am craving it all the time!!!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
August 15th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been. Mostly cooked stuff but I sneak some off my hubby or friends plates every once in awhile. Doctor said it's fine as long as I keep it under once a WEEK and I don't eat it nearly that much.

Daffney

August 15th, 2012, 11:06 AM
MEG282's Avatar Soon to be Mommy of 2!
I haven't yet, but lately I have been craving a california roll with brown rice! Yummmm! The crab is artificial and cooked, should be ok right? I would be too scared to eat the raw ones while prego.

Thank You for the BEAUTIFUL Siggy .:Shortcake:.

August 15th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
I do... I heard its not a problem as long as its cooked... and I LOVE eel sushi, which ALWAYS has to be cooked... so YAY!!!! Also shrimp tempura is soo good too..... ummm I could just eeat the tempura flakes by themself....

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

August 15th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Yup, cooked stuff is perfectly fine Megan! Most of what I eat is cooked. But I will admit to eating some raw too. Its never much at a time, and not more than once a week, so Im not concerned. I wouldnt touch raw fish from most places preggo or not, so I'll only eat my delicious yellow fin from my favorite sushi places straight from the fish market that distributes to them. I got some from the fish market last week and have been thinking about it since! I cant wait to go get some more!

*edit to add-TONS of wasabi too!!! I just gotta have it!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
August 15th, 2012, 12:22 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't because the only type I like aside from the rolls and other cooked stuff is the yellow fin tuna sashimi which a high in mercury, not to mention raw! Double wammy, bummer. I do like the california rolls with some of that pickled ginger on top. Yum. I think you have me on to my next craving!

August 15th, 2012, 01:01 PM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been craving it and eating it!. I generally avoid the fish with mercury (tuna etc.).... but I have had it once!! I am NOT avoiding raw fish - as long as I thrust where I am eating it!

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!
August 15th, 2012, 01:08 PM
No longer one and done
I dont understand why there is some sort of taboo about eating sushi while pregnant. Staying away from fish high in mercury and raw shellfish is really the only concern.

Food poisoning from reputable sushi is so extremely rare. The vast majority of food poisoning from eating seafood is from raw oysters and clams, not fish. Its far more likely to get food poisoning from chicken than sushi.

Not to mention all the good stuff there is in raw fish! So avoiding it completely makes no sense.

So yea, Im eating it.
~Landon's Mommy~ and nina9809 like this.

Last edited by BrooklynBump; August 15th, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
August 15th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I honestly eat anything and everything during pregnancy. So yes, sushi when I can get it! Smoked salmon, avocado, and cream cheese MMMMM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBump View Post
I dont understand why there is some sort of taboo about eating sushi while pregnant. Staying away from fish high in mercury and raw shellfish is really the only concern.

Food poisoning from sushi is so extremely rare. The vast majority of food poisoning from eating seafood is from raw oysters and clams, not fish. Its far more likely to get food poisoning from chicken than sushi.

Not to mention all the good stuff there is in raw fish! So avoiding it completely makes no sense.

So yea, Im eating it.
IKR?

My doctor said she didnt understand why all these baby books put all these ridiculous food restrictions on pregnant women when really its NOT an issue or risk at all. What they SHOULD be focusing on is, you know, stuff that many pregnant women ARE at risk for.... Like gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia.

I also found this funny...

You know they say to stay away from lunch meat because of the listeria.

Well wouldnt ya know that a couple months ago I went grocery shopping at my receipt that printed out told me that the bag of SALAD that I bought a week before was recalled because of.. yeah... listeria. It said something like, "Danger to pregnant women"... haha well thanks for letting me know a week after I ate it!!!! (I was fine, of course) Just thought that was funny.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)
and NUMBER4! (due 7/4/2015)

August 15th, 2012, 01:15 PM
^ I agree. Everything in moderation should not raise any concerns, IMO. I think part of my craving it is my body wanting the omega 3 fatty acids.
nina9809 likes this.

August 15th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
All this talk of sushi.... So I get home and DH asked what's for dinner.... Hmmm?? Sushi
Shades of Grey and 3TeamH like this.

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

August 15th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been eating "cooked" sushi the entire time.
As well as my cucumber rolls (for some reason I crave them).

This one place makes a fabulous spicey tuna roll... but I havent eaten any since finding out I was pregnant.

As well as this other place makes a wicked spicey salmon samishi, which again I have avoided.

Its annoying to hear these conflicting reports on eating or not eating raw fish during pregancy.
I totally get avoiding raw shellfish and fish high in mercury. But really how "dangerous" in low mercury fishies to pregnant gals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishinfor2ndblessing View Post
All this talk of sushi.... So I get home and DH asked what's for dinner.... Hmmm?? Sushi
I think I might be asking Steve if he wants all you can eat sushi tonight!
August 15th, 2012, 03:26 PM
BraidensMommy's Avatar Veteran
Yuck! I have never been able to stand the taste of sushi. I've tried it twice and both times I lost it within minutes. I do however love shell fish, crab and lobster, oh and clams! I don't think shell fish is good to eat a lot of during pregnancy which sucks, cause I could eat it almost every night

August 15th, 2012, 04:28 PM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
I craved it when I was pregnant - and you have me craving it now too

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search