My mom hates our name. :(

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So this morning my mom calls me (she lives like 15 hours away in Ohio) and just lays into me how much she hates the name we have come up with (Benjamin). Tells me she just HATES it, how much he is going to hate it, all the Ben's she has ever known have been "pricks," (I mean, really??? who says that about their grandson???), how she doesnt understand how the two of us couldnt have come up with a better name.... blah blah BLAH.

Im so ticked off at her I could just spit. I had a baby shower later today so that made me feel better... But still. This woman is just about to drive me crazy.

And for those who might say that's why you keep it a secret..... Well, trust me, she would have let me know how much she hated she name when he was born, although I wouldnt want to deal with that and all the PP hormones all at once because I might punch her!!!!

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)
and NUMBER4! (due 7/4/2015)

August 15th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
Oh... I am so sorry.... Seriously.. Maybe he will be the Benjamin to turn it all around for her

Even if that is how she felt she should have kept it to herself... I'm sorry you had to go throught that

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

August 15th, 2012, 02:47 PM
ash29nc's Avatar Super Mommy
Sorry she has to realize ur baby u name him! Overly opinionated people suck!

August 15th, 2012, 02:56 PM
BraidensMommy's Avatar Veteran
Oh no, I am sorry you had to go through that. My grandma did the same thing to me when I was pregnant with DS. I just told her "while I respect your opinion, he is my son and I will name him what I want. You already got to name your children, now it's my turn to name mine"
rachelmama and Gripstress like this.

August 15th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That stinks. I know everyone doesn't love the name we picked, but meh. It just sucks that it's your mom acting like that. It's amazing to me how much people think we want to hear what they think about our decisions.

Daffney

August 15th, 2012, 03:13 PM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
I don't believe in keeping the name a secret (i'd rather know whatever crazy thing people are going to say before I make my final decision) but it sounds like she has gone off the deep end. Don't let it bum you out - Benjamin is a lovely name.

August 15th, 2012, 03:13 PM
BlueJayBaby's Avatar Veteran
I am sorry to hear that she reacted that way. Totally not cool. It sucks that she is acting that way but in the end it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks at all. Personally I like Benjamin is a great name though!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy
August 15th, 2012, 03:19 PM
~Landon's Mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's a classic name! My parents don't like our current fav (Oliver) either.

Little brother!
August 15th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
That sucks that she doesnt like the name.
I personally think its a great name!
And know very few "pricks" that are named Ben, more often then not they are noraml, nice dudes.

August 15th, 2012, 05:15 PM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
I'm sorry that she was so rotten about voicing her opinion. It's YOUR baby not hers. A lot of people didn't like our name choices but we're happy with them and that's all that counts. Besides, now all the nay sayers can't imagine our kids having any other names so it all worked out in the end

August 15th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hate when people act like that. My mom doesn't like the middle name for our daughter because it doesn't flow to her. But who cares what she likes. I don't like my name but she didn't give me a choice...it's your child and I like Ben and know lots of great kids an adults with the name. Hopefully she will warm up to it and not get to crazy with her opinions

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

August 15th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraidensMommy View Post
Oh no, I am sorry you had to go through that. My grandma did the same thing to me when I was pregnant with DS. I just told her "while I respect your opinion, he is my son and I will name him what I want. You already got to name your children, now it's my turn to name mine"
I totally agree with the part in quotes! My mom didn't like Isla's name when I was pregnant with her and I pretty much told her the exact same thing.

August 15th, 2012, 08:05 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
I'm sorry. That is really mean to say that.

If we were having a boy Benjamin is a name I really like if it makes you feel any better.
Hope she comes around to accepting the name because its her grandson.

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy

My Ovulation Chart
August 16th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
No way! I can't believe she said those things to you. Wow, I'm sorry. Benjamin is such a classic, timeless name, though, so I don't get it. I could see maybe if it was something really out there, but still, it's your and DH's decision, not hers. So if you love it, use it, and don't let her get to you!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

August 16th, 2012, 07:05 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow. What a really and totally crap thing to do to your daughter!

Personally, my preggo hormones may not have stopped me from saying, "Well, we were going to name him____(insert your mother's name here)____, but then the only people that I know with that name are complete beyotches, so..."

But seriously Hilary, how DID you respond to her?
August 16th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How did I respond? I dont really remember I was so upset... But I said something like how Im sorry you feel that way but it's our baby and we have already decided on the name... She said something about people calling him Benny Hill? She said its some raunchy comedian? Well I told her I had never even heard of him and I doubt anyone we hang out with does either (we're church folk LOL) and neither will his friends, so I really dont care! At some point I had just had enough and hung up on her. I havent talked with her since and I really dont want to talk to her anytime soon! She hasnt even come down to see the girls in over a year so its not like she'll have to see him all the time, thank goodness.

...Hilary...

August 16th, 2012, 02:36 PM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, Benny Hill is an OLD time comedian. More like my grandparents age (80+)...but now I think you've just picked out the perfect nickname for your little one. Bet your mum would love that, Hil!
August 16th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
LOL! Yes. I think Ill start calling him Benny when Im talking around her just to tick her off, hahaha... Just kidding, but really. Why do I care about some old comedian? LOL Trust me, I know ALLLL about being teased because of a name!

...Hilary...

August 16th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilhillrn View Post
How did I respond? I dont really remember I was so upset... But I said something like how Im sorry you feel that way but it's our baby and we have already decided on the name... She said something about people calling him Benny Hill? She said its some raunchy comedian? Well I told her I had never even heard of him and I doubt anyone we hang out with does either (we're church folk LOL) and neither will his friends, so I really dont care! At some point I had just had enough and hung up on her. I havent talked with her since and I really dont want to talk to her anytime soon! She hasnt even come down to see the girls in over a year so its not like she'll have to see him all the time, thank goodness.
Wow that is too funny! I think Benny Hill is pretty hilarious... and yeah, he was raunchy back when he was popular, but he's pretty tame by today's standards. That's possibly the weirdest reason for not liking a name I've ever heard!

August 16th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
LOL Your mom so just aged herself! Benny Hill was just a skirt chasing comedian from waaayyyy back. And so what if she thinks that...like you said, she doesn't even see her grandkids! All of the Bens and Benjamins I've ever known have been intelligent, sweet, handsome, writer types...not that it matters one bit either way. Thank God you got your manners somewhere else! Sorry you went through that.
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search