Results of our 20 Week US

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gardenbelle
  • 1 Post By daffneyc
  • 1 Post By 3TeamH
  • 1 Post By Cassie.S

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Super Mommy
I had my appt today (almost 22 weeks) and I got the results of my 20 week US and AFP bloodwork.

The US showed Carragh is growing right on target and all her organs look great! She is 12 oz BUT she has SUA (just fancy way of saying Single Umbilical Artery).

Since all her organs look great and all my testing has come back super they are not afraid of any abnormalities based off the SUA. (I guess it can be associated with Trisomy 13 or 18 and other heart defects). I do have to have an additional US later on to make sure she is growing at a comfortable rate. I'll be having NST's every 2 weeks starting at 32 weeks.

I've never had an issue with any pregnancy so this is very new to me. I am not scared because she is growing so well right now and everything looks great with her organs. BUT I am nervous that as we get farther along she may get restricted in her growth and have a size issue.

Anyone had this issue? I did some medical research and I guess it happens 1-100 to 1-500 live births and 75% are born with absolutely no issues. I do have a friend who had this and her baby girl was born with all sorts of heart issues and even had a stroke in
utero...scary!

Like I said, I'm not really scared of anything happening. I am choosing to only see the 75% of perfect babies who have no issues.
August 16th, 2012, 03:42 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great to hear she is looking so good but sorry to hear about the single vessel cord. I've known two women that have had this with their pregnancies and both their children were perfectly healthy if that is any comfort to you. I'll be hoping that everything stays right on track with the growth.
Punky.Brew likes this.

August 16th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would try not to stress it and focus on the good number. I would think that if she had heart defects they would have seen it.
Punky.Brew likes this.

Daffney

August 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Super Mommy
Exactly right, ladies. No issues with growth for now and all organs developing on schedule do make me feel much more confident there will be no issue.

Thanks for sharing about the other ladies, Mary. I only know the one but her issues were seen early so it's quite different, too.

Plus side, I do get to see her again! But NST's...well, those really are not great fun but anything for a healthy girl.
August 16th, 2012, 05:13 PM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
I'm glad she is healthy and growing so well!!! No idea about the SUA but I think you've got the right mentality for sure and it appears that your medical team is looking after you and the baby with proper care.
Punky.Brew likes this.

August 17th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
So glad to hear she's growing well! Sorry to hear about the other possible issue, but like the other ladies said, try not to worry about it. Fingers crossed it's nothing!
Punky.Brew likes this.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search