Goals

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree32Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
I found that I pumped so much less when I was separated from Sophia when she was still in the hospital. If I went up to the hospital and pumped sitting next to her then I produced three times the amount. Have you tried pumping while sitting next to Truett ??

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

December 28th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, it totally makes a difference. I can pump and go right up there-15 minutes away, and feel that tingle-is this the let down? I didnt really have it with Greyson. This is new this week.
gardenbelle and Gripstress like this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
December 28th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Yep I feel that tingle too.... That's how I know I need to pump. I think it's a way for your body to tell you it needs release. Not sure of that's let down or not but I do know that it means I need to get to work lol. I also feel that tingle sensation when Sophia cries.
Gripstress likes this.

December 28th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
Yeah it's like that rushing feeling...not exactly letdown but it's letting you know it's go time I also get it when the baby cries and at odd times too. I have been having some issues getting flow while pumping even with the pump cranked. I think I need to relax and dial it back a bit.

I am using cloth wipes and I love them. I had purchased a couple of boxes of huggies wipes as I have always loved them for everything in the past but I find I really do love the cloth more. The solution I use is really great, smooth & soft and smells lovely. I bought the Prince Lionheart Warmies wipe warmer for cloth wipes and it's awesome too. Never used a warmer before but it's great. Do you have cloth wipes if you decide to use them? I had mine made up with flannel and a serger...cheap and really nice to use especially after laundering a few times
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

December 28th, 2012, 06:43 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So great that you are doing so well, Ashleigh! Another tip on pumping more if when you can't physically be next to him is to think of your baby nursing when they are really really hungry. You know that sweet-relief look that newborns get when they finally get some boob after a long time? I visualize that in my head while pumping and it really helps to bring on the flow.
Rebecca - can you share your wipes solution? I forgot my old recipe and I never wrote it down. Boo. I'm thinking of getting my wipes out of the box soon since James has a bit of a rash. I've been using disposable wipes up until now and I think they are stinging his butt.
December 28th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Also what helped me pump when I wasn't next to Sophia was to stare at a picture of her while I was pumping and imagining her nursing. That helped a lot too.

December 28th, 2012, 07:55 PM
It's a simple solution of a 2 cups warm water, 2 TBSP coconut oil & 2 TBSP baby wash(I use Johnson's) I probably do more than 2 TBSP oil but I like the feel of it. It's enough for 20 8x8 double-sided flannel wipes I mix it in a container and pour over wipes in a gallon zip-lock then put in wipe warmer. I hate when the wipes sting...so sad
gardenbelle likes this.
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

December 28th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I dont have any cloth wipes, I was thinking of making some but I dont have a serger. I will have to see if my MIL does.

I do think about the baby when I pump, look at his crib, the swing, the little hats... wishing he was there. I've been pumping every hour to two hours when Im home or when I can. I was trying to boost supply, but lately it seems like its just making up for the stretches that go over 3 hours.

Rebecca, what kind of coconut oil do you use? I have some, but its a solid when its at room temp. Though, if you use a warmer, it would prevent that I guess

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
December 28th, 2012, 10:42 PM
It's so hard to pump every 3 hours and even harder of course to pump more often. Hopefully he will take to the boob soon after coming home

I have a serger and could make you some wipes if you'd like. Truthfully I'd have my mom do it since she always has my machine and she's super fast at it. She's a seamstress and can make anything so fast.

I use LouAnn oil...it's cheap from Wal-mart and is solid-ish. It melts down w/ warm water and stays pretty melted even when not warm. Also, they say if you whip coconut oil in a blender it stays whipped. You can use it as rash cream, nipple cream and a bunch of other things too.
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

December 29th, 2012, 11:00 AM
That is awesome. Thats the kind of coconut oil I have. Im tempted to throw some in the blender! Especially since Truett has a pretty red bottom right now.

I havent heard back from my mother in law, but if she doesnt have a serger, I just may take you up on your offer! I was thinking of making them from old thin receiving blankets.
Gripstress likes this.

December 29th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Yeah it would be a pain to blend just a little bit but not if you did the whole container. I've noticed a good stir of it breaks it down some also.

I meant we would make the wipes for free as a gift for you and baby Truett The fabric is super cheap on sale and goes a long way. I would have just done it but wanted to make sure you might use them & that you didn't already have a bunch laying around. Old receiving blankets would also work great but all I have is pink
Shades of Grey likes this.
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

December 29th, 2012, 07:32 PM
You are so sweet, thank you I have a few receiving blankets specifically to cut up. I like your warmer method. I also like the idea of a spray bottle with the solution... Im undecided.

I have a little drink mixer I use for single serving smoothies and things. I might try to whip up some coconut oil in that!
Gripstress likes this.

December 29th, 2012, 09:40 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ashleigh, I hope he starts getting the milk from the source soon so that you can stop pumping around the clock. It's so much work, I really feel for you guys that are doing it and really admire you for sticking with it. I pumped exclusively for a month when Jack had a neurological illness as an infant and it was so hard! I'm so glad to hear that Truett is home now though, so awesome.
Rebecca, thanks for the recipe! I have some coconut oil in the fridge, totally going to try it. Also, I am so jealous you have a serger. One of these days I'll find one on Craigslist and snatch it up.
Gripstress likes this.
December 30th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Ashleigh, is it a bullet? I have one somewhere and something like that would work great I bet...or a handheld mixer too.

Mary, I agree, pumping around the clock is a ******. Did it nearly the whole time with Pascale...she just never took to the breast but if I'd gotten more help it probably would have been possible. Oh well. You're welcome about the recipe It's so easy and cheap too. I got my serger new in the box from my MIL when she passed away 10 years ago and never used it til lately but my mom's broke and she is now holding it hostage lol. Awesome little machine! I have heard others say they just used a regular sewing machine and did a zig-zag stitch around the edge in lieu of a serger. Seems like it'd do the job.
gardenbelle likes this.
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

December 31st, 2012, 02:25 PM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
I'm late coming into the discussion, but wanted to say way to go Ashleigh! Truett is very blessed to have you as his mommy. I had to exclusively pump for a few days and it really stunk, especially when I wasn't keeping up with demand. Eventually my supply kicked up and now I'm a milk manufacturing machine. It really boost things when he took the breast again (with a nipple shield). Hopefully that's what will happen for you too
Shades of Grey likes this.

December 31st, 2012, 04:17 PM
thanks Lucy. I feel like Im falling behind again but hopefully we'll be able to go the breast and not have to pump as much. Its exhausting, especially through the night. New goal--once the oxygen is gone, I want to actually breastfeed.
rlh27 likes this.

December 31st, 2012, 04:38 PM
Rebecca, Its not a bullet, but the Hamilton Beach version of it. Very similar. Im going to try to mix some up in the next couple days with a bit of lavender-its supposed to help. Hope it works!
Gripstress likes this.

January 1st, 2013, 10:20 AM
So 2 days ago, I had 4 bottles in the fridge. I pump each time he eats. Today, Im down to just one, the one for the next feeding which is any minute now. I just finished pumping and didnt get enough for a full feeding. Ive gotten much less each time I pump. Im feeling the pressure to keep up, let alone stay ahead, what do I do? Yesterday I upped the fenugreek to 3 times a day, Im drinking lots of water, even got a nap yesterday. Im trying not to freak out but its hard right now

January 1st, 2013, 04:19 PM
Ugh, that sucks...I'm sorry. How often are you pumping and for how long? I looked up on Kellymom and it said to increase supply you should pump 8-10 times per day which seems like a lot but if it works then I'd give it a shot. Also, it said go for 30 minutes or 2-5 minutes after the last drop of milk. Do you massage your breasts while you pump? I would get next to nothing if I didn't do it. Could you maybe stretch his feedings a bit or give just a tad less per bottle until you can catch up? I know you are a more natural methods mama but what about prescription aids to help with supply?

Here's the link to what I was looking at:

Hth and big hugs!
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

January 1st, 2013, 04:39 PM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Those days when I had to exclusively pump, I figured I had two main goals. 1. feed Caleb. 2. keep doing what I could to build my supply. To reach the first goal, I had to supplement once with formula. I felt bad, but it got me a little ahead. Don't beat yourself up if you have to give some formula. You're doing the best you can.

Also, what kind of pump are you using? I actually get about twice as much with my cheap manual than I do with my expensive Avent electric. Maybe a change in pump would help.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search