Goals

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree32Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2013, 06:30 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a medela pump in style. I pump 8+ times a day, at least 10-15 minutes. I go for at least 2 extra minutes to simulate baby still being hungry. I do have to massage them while pumping (sounds glorified since it feels like they should be bruised by now). I wouldnt get much otherwise. Ive done power pumping, going back to each side for an extra 10 minutes. Im going to try to do more of this, and try to get them closer together. I also baked a ton of oatmeal cookies, recommended by a friend, and am drinking Mothers Milk tea. The shatavari is hard to drink cause of the texture, but I will keep taking that. I ha been using the hospitals medela pump when we were there, and its since he's been released that Im having trouble. I wonder i that is a factor. He has been supplemented with formula at the hospital when i didnt have anymore breast milk up there. I have 3 little bottles of it here, but feel like i gotta save them as my back up, but i guess im nearly there now... I have thought about the prescription to help boost it, I wanted to try everything natural that I could first. Maybe I should call my dr and at least ask about it.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
January 1st, 2013, 09:51 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
It sounds like you are doing what you can so don't beat yourself up. I totally know what you mean about "massaging" the breast...more like wringing them out haha. Careful with supplementing formula unless you absolutely need to because it's a trap that can reduce milk. Have you checked out feeding amounts for his size? I have a limited supply so if someone overfeeds I am screwed. As long as he's gaining, peeing and pooping he does not need large amounts but you should check with the doctor for what is a good amount for him. Again, I know you prefer the natural stuff but maybe a little medication is better than supplementing formula. I just don't know. As for the pump, I have used all types including hospital grade, which I have now, and the good home double pumps do a really great job too. It could be the pump or it could be the added pressure at home now and the fact that you are busy caring for two children. Maybe you could try a rental and see if it boosts your supply back up? I bought my hospital grade used and it was similar in price to a new home pump. I have the Medela Lactina Select Plus. Hope this improves for you guys!
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

January 1st, 2013, 10:05 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL YES! wringing them out is the perfect description!

When he was discharged, he was at 48 ml. The week before he was at 46ml minimum. So I fill to 45-50 ml. Even then, when he doesnt take a couple ml, it almost hurts to toss it lol We are supposed to see the pediatrician tomorrow so I'll see what she says.

My dr is out until the end of the week, so I will call then and ask about it. Im also on wic, they said I would qualify for a pump since Ive had a breast reduction and had trouble breastfeeding my first. Im calling them tomorrow.
Gripstress likes this.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
January 1st, 2013, 11:22 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
Oh yes WIC helped me with my first pump! That's awesome! Hopefully they can hook you up

I had to correct my typing when I first wrote massage...I wrote squeeze lol

I know what you mean about dumping out ANY amount of milk. I blow the drops through my pump(probably not a great idea) and shake out any bits from the parts into the storage bags lol It's one bad thing about needing to use childcare...they just never understand how difficult it is to get every last drop!
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search