just a question

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By adi&co.
  • 4 Post By shanirah
  • 3 Post By JenJen3574

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2012, 06:57 PM
squishyhomie's Avatar whee.
do you leave your baby to play on their own? (beside you on the floor, in the swing/excersaucer)

i feel like i'm neglecting him if i'm not in his face 24/7.
i talk to him and make up little songs and stuff sometimes, but honestly he's not the center of my attention ALL the time.

is that okay? will it have an effect on his development?
sorry, i just feel bad.

Our First Baby
Nicholas Anthony Sanders

August 22nd, 2012, 07:37 PM
shanirah's Avatar Mommy Strawberry
No, I devote 100% of my attention to her ROFL! just kidding. I let her play on her own and sometimes she just wants to play by herself. I think it is good for a baby to learn to entertain themselves, they will need to learn eventually that you have other stuff to do and can't always have your attention, I think if at this age if they are happy while playing, then there is no damage. I find I hold her more then she plays, so her play time gives me a few mommy moments too.

“First things first, but not necessarily in that order.” The Doctor

August 22nd, 2012, 08:49 PM
adi&co.
well... no. she gets put into the exersaucer/swing/jumparoo when I need to get the boys food/dressed/washed up/etc/etc.

I've done this same thing with all my kids and their development is hindered by outside factors, not by me and what I'm doing. if you don't take a little break every little bit, you'll go bonkers and you can only be as good of a mom as you allow yourself to be. if you're always a mom wthout break, you will crumble. breaks are essential, even if it's just him on a blanket on the floor for tummy time with some toys while you just breathe or pull out a book. as long as you're not leaving him for long periods of time, ignoring his cries for food/comfort and all that stuff than you're fine.
TnPhotoMama81 likes this.
August 23rd, 2012, 04:33 AM
Clutch's Avatar First Timer
For as long as she's happy with it, I let her sit in her swing or play on her playmat by herself while I vacuum, wash bottles, cook, read, etc. I won't leave her out of my sight though. If it looks like she's about to start crying I'll drop everything and tend to her before she gets upset.

I don't see anything wrong with that and I don't think it would hinder her development. I thought it was normal?
August 23rd, 2012, 04:37 AM
LOL, i didn't mean to worry anyone by thinking is wasn't going to learn.

& no, he's happy when i set him down and i don't ignore his cries lol.
i just see my mom with him and she carries him around and is constantly talking to him and stuff, i figured maybe i was doing it wrong.

Our First Baby
Nicholas Anthony Sanders

August 23rd, 2012, 05:38 AM
Super Mommy
I leave her in her exersaucer, bouncy chair and floor mat all the time. I need to shower, cook and clean and it's the only way to get it done. Once she starts fussing I pick her up.

August 23rd, 2012, 05:45 AM
shanirah's Avatar Mommy Strawberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishyhomie View Post
LOL, i didn't mean to worry anyone by thinking is wasn't going to learn.

& no, he's happy when i set him down and i don't ignore his cries lol.
i just see my mom with him and she carries him around and is constantly talking to him and stuff, i figured maybe i was doing it wrong.
Yeah, that's because she's not his mom, she's grandma. Grandma's tend to do things like that because they are not the mom. When g-ma's have the kiddo, they usually set aside that amount of time to focus only on the little one but us mom's have other things to do and need to get it done while caring for a baby, so it's not from grandma's that our babies learn to be independent but from their mom's. Grandma's are suppose to spoil their grandkids with attention (at least the good ones).

“First things first, but not necessarily in that order.” The Doctor

August 23rd, 2012, 05:55 AM
JenJen3574's Avatar Super Mommy
I think it is absolutely necessary for babies to have a little alone time (supervised from a short distance of course). They need that chance to explore a little on their own and test their own abilities. It's kind of like that old analogy about the butterfly that is helped to get out of the cocoon and then cannot fly because its wings were not made strong enough by the struggle to free themselves.

So good on you mama - you are doing exactly the right thing by paying attention to your baby's needs, but also setting him down to entertain himself now and then.
adi&co., shanirah and Clutch like this.
Once a decade, right?

August 23rd, 2012, 06:52 AM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would get nothing done if I didn't put him down to let him play on his own. I think they enjoy time without someone being in their face. As long as you aren't ignoring his cries, your doing it right!

=May '05 and '11

August 23rd, 2012, 01:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Ditto. ^^^

August 23rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
thanks guys

Our First Baby
Nicholas Anthony Sanders

August 24th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Super Mommy
I'll ditto everyone else. My 3 older kids are great and turned out just fine so far, and they all had their own time and continue to do so

Joshua - 11/02/05
Matthew - 2/17/12 - Born at 33 weeks 5 days

August 24th, 2012, 03:13 PM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
if you don't take a little break every little bit, you'll go bonkers and you can only be as good of a mom as you allow yourself to be. if you're always a mom wthout break, you will crumble. breaks are essential, even if it's just him on a blanket on the floor for tummy time with some toys while you just breathe or pull out a book. as long as you're not leaving him for long periods of time, ignoring his cries for food/comfort and all that stuff than you're fine.
ditto

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search