Dragging mommy......

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2012, 08:37 AM
HubbysSweetheart's Avatar Little Jo married Laurie!
Chloe just turned 6 mo old on sun..... AHHH can't believe it.... but she has only STTN perhaps a total of 2 weeks during those 6 mo, a night here a night there. (I consider sleeping till 4-4:30 STTN ....two nights she slept till 6!! I was in heaven)

She's done it, so I know she can, but I haven't wanted to do any sleep training because she's so small still (lots of chunk and baby rolls to her so she isn't skinny, but she's still in 0-3 mo clothing and under 15 lbs.)

I was really hoping she would start stretching her sleep on her own.... she did before, it would grow by about 30 min each night until she was STTN for a few nights and then jump back because of growth spurts/sickness/tummy issues (reflux) Lately it has gotten only worse and worse. I'm getting up 4-5 times a night between 10-6 and it is totally random times so my body can't even get used to getting up at timed intervals like it did when she was a newborn. After I do get back to bed my body just doesn't want to sleep because it's so confused.

I can't take naps during the day..... never have been able to and I am just DRAGGING. Six months of no sleep and my mind and body have started to rebel.

I don't really think she's needing to Eat all those times, but she is waking due to having some gas pains some of the time, possible hunger another and just wanting me another time so it's all jumbled.

I'm coming close to the limit of no sleep I can have and may just have to set an alarm for a 3am feeding and go to the other end of the house to sleep..... I hate the thought of this but I can't just continue to have no sleep and don't know what else I can do. (Won't take formula just in case you were wondering about dad feeding her)

So big prayers that something changes because I Want to be there for her whatever the reason, but I am not a machine and need rest sometime.

If this is a phase that all 6 mo olds go through I would Love to know!

August 28th, 2012, 01:00 PM
My kiddo just turned 7 months and we had such a problem sleeping the past month. We were really at wits end with her! She had been STTN from about 9:30pm-6am no problem then... out of left field.. she was up every hour on the hour! We would give her some milk and she'd settle down, or we'd rock her in her car seat until she fell back asleep. Man, it was absolutely awful.

We decided to start letting her cry. Cry it out isn't for everyone, but.. as I told my husband - I know she's not wet, not hungry, not hot, not cold.. but TIRED. She is one of those babies that loves to be involved in everything, so she was just getting over tired and super fussy.

We've been 4 nights in and she goes to bed at 8pm, cries and self soothes around 1am, and is up for the day at 8:30 am. It takes us about 30 minutes to get her to sleep right now, but she does settle herself down. We go in at these intervals: 5minutes/7/9/12/15. She doesn't like a binky so we give her a tad bit of milk as the sucking is what soothes her down. We give her the bottle for just over a minute and leave.

Yay for sleep! You can do it!
August 28th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Gosh that sounds tough. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. It is normal for them to go through periods where they don't sleep well -- for ds they usually last about two weeks, and for both of my kids they got especially bad when hitting major milestones or growth spurts. But this definitely sounds extreme! It is hard since it sounds like she could be having some pain issues. Is she sleeping on an incline? Have you tried positioners? Considered cosleeping? Can hubby help since it isn't always a hunger issue? Maybe meds to help her reflux if it is bad enough to warrant it?

Dd didn't sleep well until she hit 14 month and I moved her crib out of our room. It was difficult when I went back to work full time. So difficult. Especially because I was having a hard time bfing and had to pump every time she woke up instead. I just kind of had to get sleep where I could. On the weekends I had dh take over so I could sleep in. I still had to wake up to pump, but I got to sleep an extra three hour stretch in the morning and it was great. It took me like twelve hours to get in a total of 8 or 9 hours of sleep because of how broken up it was, but dh understood and it helped a lot

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
August 29th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I had that problem with Alice. A nurse told us to give her Tylenol. Said a little wouldn't hurt her. Sounds bad, but that's what we did. I doped my child up to get sleep.

When she was older, and I knew for sure she had her teeth, I didn't want to use Tylenol. So if it had been 4 hours since she last ate or nursed, I'd feed her. If it was too soon, I did the butt pat. It took about 4 days of butt patting every 2 hours for her body to just start staying asleep. This was around 10 months. She would still wake up once a night at least for a long time, and once a week or so it would be every 2 hours. She stopped this around 14 months.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com
August 29th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks everyone for the incouragement. Last night was a bit better, I've decided to start weaning the night feedings by setting my alarm to times she rarely wakes up at 4 hrs apart and feeding her then so I do the waking and we're basically sleep feeding. If she wakes up she get a pacifier. It worked pretty well last night... She slept ok between 12 and 4... so I'm hopeful we won't have to do a full on cry it out.

Krista...

Thanks for the advice and sympathy Unfortunately we are already doing all those things. She sleeps on her side in the boppy swaddled and is on reflux meds. I'm a bit confused though because in all the reading I've been doing to try and resolve the sleep issues EVERY single thing we've done to get our gassy/colic-y/reflux baby to sleep are listed as big No No's and suggested to be gotten rid of to help a baby sleep...... swaddle, incline, pacifier.... sigh. If I do need to change things I'm unsure of which to cut out first, or do I totally turn her sleeping world upside down and cold turkey it all...... I know that would be Several nights of NO sleep before she Maybe adjusts. I'm a firm believer in consistency so I don't want to start something I can't finish.

We'll see what happens. Thanks again everyone!

August 29th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
You are not alone. Jade is about to hit *8* months and still doesn't sttn! Wakes up several times for comfort and to nurse.

I am so exhausted from not being able to just SLEEP!!! I can't go long for naps when dh is home because every little noise wakes me. I'm a light sleeper and I stress out if I hear her make noises down stairs with him. My mind really never shuts off. We also cosleep so even when I'm asleep at night, my mind is still on her and my body is tense to where I don't move for fear of rolling on her. Sometimes I just want to cry because I SO badly want one full day of just sleep. Then I feel terrible for even thinking that bc I don't have a job and dh works and he tends to have to come home and take her bc I'm so exhausted. =\

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

August 30th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Doodlebug06

So sorry! I know it's rough, we co-slept..... I hadn't really planned on it but she could choke sometimes because of the reflux and I needed to be right there to sit her up/turn her over etc.

We used a co-sleeping bed and it saved me from being worried about rolling onto her..... you may check it out!

When she consistently slept with no choking issues for a month I switched her to her crib because I started to realize WE were waking her up sometimes. You may listen to you little one (us light sleepers do this already ) for a few nights and take note of when she wakes.... is it right after your hubby rolls over or makes a noise..... or you? Chloe slept better in her own room (although still not great hence this post) and so did I. I was planning on waiting till she STTN to switch but found that it was worth it even though I have to get up to go to her. Just a thought and GL!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search