Chickenpox

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2012, 08:24 PM
SingingMama's Avatar So Blessed...
So...we went to playgroup today, and everyone was well. Afterward, my friend was putting her little two yr old down for a nap, and noticed that he had clear bumps/blisters all over his back! She put him down for a nap and called the pediatrician. When he woke up from nap, they spread to his arms and chest. She took him in, and he might have chickenpox! They have to see how the next couple of days go, but ahhh! Of course, he was playing wih William on the floor...I guess that we can't prevent everything, but man!
August 28th, 2012, 10:09 PM
pr1madona's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, if it is chickenpox you can ask your dr to give him the varicella immunoglobulin to prevent him from getting it. Also, if you are nursing and have antibodies to it at least he has those.

August 29th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
While chicken pox is no fun, it's much better to get it as a child than as an adult. And once you've had it, you're immune.

My son's never had it, only the vaccine, but I often wonder if the vaccine is as good as getting them first hand.
August 29th, 2012, 04:54 AM
Clutch's Avatar First Timer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeauxe View Post
I often wonder if the vaccine is as good as getting them first hand.
If you catch chickenpox as a kid, you're immune as an adult BUT you can get shingles later in life. I came down with shingles four days before my wedding day. The bright red blistering rash spread across my chest and back, and the wedding dress didn't cover it. It took about 2 months to heal. I had to photoshop it out of every wedding picture. It was the most painful thing I've ever had and the worst timing ever. So ... I think it's better to get the vaccine to avoid the whole shingles thing later.
August 29th, 2012, 07:36 PM
pr1madona's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The vaccine doesn't protect against shingles. Shingles is caused by the virus laying dormant in your spinal nerves, whether from being exposed naturally or from the vaccine, and being reactivated in times of stress, illness, etc. And they are now finding the vaccine doesn't protect as well from chickenpox as once thought so the new recommendation is a booster shot every 10yrs. Getting the virus will create stronger immunity to chickenpox, but the downside is if you don't get exposed in childhood it can be much worse on an adult. I wouldn't want to deal with chickenpox in a young baby either though. I actually did senior research on chickenpox in college, as I found it interesting I never got it, in spite of being repeatedly exposed in childhood.

August 30th, 2012, 07:20 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just checking in to see rather your little guy ended up having chicken pox or not.

=May '05 and '11

August 31st, 2012, 07:05 PM
SingingMama's Avatar So Blessed...
So far, so good...my son has a birthday party this weekend, and the friend with one son with chickenpox will bre bringing her other two sons to the party...we shallsee!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search