Back from the genetic counselor

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Shades of Grey

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im back from my appt with the genetic counselor. She was great and made it an easier appointment than it may have otherwise been. I didnt get the 2nd ultrasound ( ) because the first one was really thorough and showed everything they would have looked at. The good side of that is there were no additional points of concern. There is a brand new blood test that basically replaces the amnio, it looks at the actual DNA, counts the level of the 21st chromosomes. There would be a raised number with Downs. She did draw my blood for this and will have results in 2 weeks. I did get a copy of the test that resulted in the 1/46 chance, Im going to research the numbers. It measured hormone levels, 3 that are higher/lower than normal and coincide with Downs.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
August 30th, 2012, 04:25 PM
anna.rose's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's excellent news for now! I'm glad you got a good counselor. I hope the blood test comes back with some more positive news!

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
August 30th, 2012, 04:32 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hoping the next two weeks go by fast for you and you get some clear answers. So sorry you are going through all this worry.
August 30th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hopefully that test will come back clear. Glad they didn't think they saw anything on the u/s to suggest downs...

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

August 30th, 2012, 05:03 PM
^^just the 3 soft markers on the ultrasound that caught their eye originally and had them do the first test giving me my 'risk' numbers...

Thank you ladies. I hope its a quick 2 weeks and she calls to tell me everything is perfectly fine!
MarlowesMum and Gripstress like this.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
August 30th, 2012, 05:44 PM
*treefrog*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be thinking of you these next two weeks...I hope they go super fast and you get the results back that little one is fine

Our family is complete

August 30th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Crystalici0us4's Avatar Aubree Lynn's Mommy<3<3
I'm so sorry you're going thru this! Having to wait 2 weeks must be torture

However, try to think positive, so that you don't wind up driving yourself crazy over the next 2 weeks. Try to think of it like this: it says 1/46 chance of Downs right? Well, there is a 45:1 chance the baby *doesn't* have it, so I would feel like the chances are in your favor. Good luck hunni, I will be thinking of you.

Last edited by Crystalici0us4; August 30th, 2012 at 10:28 PM.
August 31st, 2012, 02:35 AM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
Will be thinking about you and praying for you. Stay strong and try not to stress
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

August 31st, 2012, 03:11 AM
Super Mommy
I will be thinking of you the next 2 weeks. I hope they go by quickly for you and the test results show your little one is fine.

August 31st, 2012, 06:02 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Fingers crossed you get good results from this test! I'm sure it's going to be a very long 2 weeks for you. Hopefully you have something planned to keep your mind off of it. I'll be thinking of you and your little guy!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

{Our family blog}

August 31st, 2012, 07:11 AM
Thank you all, I appreciate all the thoughts, prayers, and positive anything! 1/46 means that there is a 98% chance he is perfectly fine! Thats what Im sticking to for 2 weeks

September 1st, 2012, 07:25 AM
Veteran
It is great that there is a blood test that replaces the amnio. A little less to worry about although I'm sure that two weeks will not be a picnic. Keep in touch about how things are going.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search