Pediatrician questions

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2012, 07:05 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
I called today and got appt on Sept 28th for my meet & greet appt with the Pediatrician I am really hoping to like.

But now I need to start my list of questions. But I'm coming up short
What questions will you or would want to ask a perspective Pediatrician?

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy
August 30th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My main issues and questions would be

1) What hospital do you have priveleges at? (make sure it is within network for your insurance so that if god forbid, something were to happen to your girlie, your pedi or one from their group will be rounding on her in the hospital). Also lots of times if they have priveleges at the hospital they have immediate access to her medical records too remotely which will be really helpful even if she just makes an ED visit. They could see her xrays and everything the next day making follow up care much easier.

2) Find out what their hours are. Do they have Saturday hours? (kids ALWAYS wake up with a fever/diarrhea/rash on Saturday mornings. Cross my heart, other BTDT moms will back me up on this). Mine has hours from 8-noon on saturdays and I've used it several times. It saves you a big copay from urgent care or ED.

3) How easy is it to get same day appointments? Also a biggie because kids don't go to bed and tell you they are going to wake up sick or that you will be picking them up from daycare becuse they have a fever. The sooner you get them in, the sooner you can start treatment if neccessary and the sooner they can go back to daycare/school. I've called my pedi office at 2 in the afternoon and they squeezed me in for a sick visit at 4 love them!

4) Find out if they have a nurseline to call and if they do, which one they use. Lots of them use the local Childrens' hospital nurse line anymore. I get it because it cuts down on a lot of BS calls that nurses can help with. But a lot times, if they DO call the on call doc to call you back they will charge you 25 bucks. Honeslty though, I've only ever talked to my pedi on call twice and he never charged me. He said that was more to alleviate parents wanting to talk to a pediatrician about something menial at 3 am.

5) If you are going to vaccinate make sure they are flexible if you are wanting to be on a delayed schedule or anything. If you plan on flu shots and all that, ask how long it took them to run out last year and if they were able to get the kiddos that were requesting it vaccinated or they had to turn patients away.

HTH!

Oh and find out how many offices they have. The one we had in Colorado had three offices and that was wonderful. We always saw the same doctor, but could usuallyschedule it for a time that was convenient because we had triple the shot of getting the appointment at a time that worked! IT was also great for sick appts as well.

Daffney

August 30th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
I agree with all of the above. That would be most important to me as well and that's why I'm staying with the same ped that dd goes to

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

August 30th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This questionnaire was posted on the November board today and I thought it was really helpful:

Okay that didn't work so here's the link to the thread with the relevant link:

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...-tomorrow.html

August 30th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So much of it is a "gut feeling" too and how you click with the doctor. You want to see someone that is going to take you seriously and not make you feel stupid or belittled for a concern. Some docs look great on paper, but in person you just don't mesh and since you will have a close relationship with this person you really need to trust them and their judgement. Don't be afraid to find someone different if they don't make you comfortable.

Daffney

August 30th, 2012, 10:13 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
Thanks for the suggestions, some of those I know I dont have to worry about.
We only have the one hospital. Nice at times others not so much.
But glad I have almost a month to think of questions.

Anyone else have an appt set or looking at Peds yet?

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy
August 31st, 2012, 05:58 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I'm not doing interviews but just wanted to say I hope it goes well and you like him/her!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

{Our family blog}

August 31st, 2012, 06:22 AM
dickersons09's Avatar Expecting #2
One of the things I look for is being able to see the same dr every appt. DS first office we went to, we'd go and it'd always be a different person...very frustrating!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search