Question about my kitties..

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Crystalici0us4
  • 1 Post By Crystalici0us4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Crystalici0us4's Avatar Aubree Lynn's Mommy<3<3
I've been thinking about this a lot. I can't figure it out on my own so I was wondering if maybe my favorite fellow preggos could help.

First, I feel like I should explain a little about how my house is set up, cuz its a little different. First, there's the downstairs. Besides the livingroom, kitchen & bathroom, there are 2 other rooms. One is Mike's parents bedroom. The other would be a bedroom, except it is the computer room, where Mike's parents have their computers on huge computer desks lol. Sounds normal right? Then there is the upstairs, which was originally an attic, until Mike & his family moved in & turn it into 2 bedrooms. One is our room, the other is Mike's cousin's room. There is a door at the bottom of the stairs, and when you walk up the stairs, to the right is Tara's (Mike's cousin) room, and to the left, our room. Because of the slanted ceiling, the top of the door frame is on an angle, therefore there aren't doors on either room. We have sheets up for a (very, very) small amount of privacy.

So I know you're probably all wondering, due to the title of this post, what does this have to do with cats?! I'm getting to that lol.

I have 3 cats. One of them lives downstairs. The other 2 live upstairs, because Mike's dad doesn't like them, but he knows that I LOVE my babies, so he wont make me get rid of them, since he knows that it would literally kill me. They're just not allowed downstairs. He LOVES Monster (my downstairs cat), and Monster LOVES him, so he is allowed to live down there. Ok, so here is my dilemma. The upstairs cats have free reign over the entire upstairs. Because there aren't doors on the rooms, only sheets, there really isn't a way to keep them out of either room, which, I normally wouldn't want to anyway. Well, since there isn't an extra room in the house for me to make into a nursery for Aubree, she will be sharing a room with Mike & I, which I don't mind, I feel more comfortable with her in the room with me, as I cant sleep unless I wear earplugs (I'm a VERY light sleeper, somebody sneezing downstairs in the bathroom would wake me up). I will hear her crying though, even with the earplugs in, so its not a problem. Anyway, back to the dilemma. Once I get Aubree's crib, I will set it up in my room, as soon as Mike clears out all of the unnecessary junk in here. Anybody who has cats *knows* that the cats will want to "help" me put the crib together, and then, they will want to "test" it out lol.I absolutely LOVE my kitties with all my heart, but I DONT want them in the crib! I don't want their hair all over it. I also don't want them getting into the crib after Aubree is born, when she's sleeping in it. Despite what my MIL says about that old wive's tale about cats "stealing" baby's breath because they're attracted to the smell of milk (I'm NOT worried about that BTW, I don't think they'd hurt her AT ALL).. I don't just don't want their hair all over everything. I don't have any ideas how to keep them out of the crib. Yes, I know I could keep taking them out of it when I see them get in the crib, but I know my cats, so I know the second my back is turned, or I leave the room, they'll be in it, and I will find them sleeping in it when I come back.locking them out of the room isn't an option, since I cant close a door that doesn't exist. Plus, I would feel bad doing that since they both spend the majority of their time in my room. I don't know what to do about it.

Any ideas ladies? Or do you think that maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing? What do you think you would do if you had a similar problem?

BTW, sorry this is so long, I tend to ramble when I try to explain thins lol

Last edited by Crystalici0us4; August 30th, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
August 30th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
I have kitties, I don't think it will be an issue, but if you are worried, get a crib tent!
Crib tent, Crib net

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
August 30th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
The way Jackson Galaxy would do it(I'd think) is to put double-sided sticky tape on the mattress before the baby comes w/o the sheets. They will hate it and should remember that and it trains them to keep out. It's supposed to stay in their minds so it's only temporary til they get the point that the crib just sucks.
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

August 31st, 2012, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripstress View Post
The way Jackson Galaxy would do it(I'd think) is to put double-sided sticky tape on the mattress before the baby comes w/o the sheets. They will hate it and should remember that and it trains them to keep out. It's supposed to stay in their minds so it's only temporary til they get the point that the crib just sucks.
Omg, I LOVE "My Cat from Hell"! & I love Jackson Galaxy! I watch it every Saturday! I didn't even think about the double sided tape, so I will have to try that! & Crystal's suggestion looks like a good solution if my stubborn cats don't learn with the double sided tape. Which is a possibility, because my cats are what are known as "crack kitties" lol. Its been a long standing joke in my house, ever since i brought Monster home 5 years ago, that any animal that comes into this house is missing brain cells & are mentally challenged haha-
Gripstress likes this.
August 31st, 2012, 06:07 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I don't have cats but I was also going to suggest the crib tent. Good luck with the kitties and hopefully they'll learn quickly so you don't have to worry about it!

btw... wow, no doors?!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

August 31st, 2012, 01:02 PM
Cassie- Yeah, no doors. Its because the upstairs is really an attic that was converted. Because its really an attic, the ceilings are slanted, as well as the top of the door frame. So instead of it being straight accross, its on an angle & they don't make doors that fit. They would have to be custom made. Its never really been an issue. Until now, kind of lol
September 1st, 2012, 04:23 AM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
lol I love Jackson too. I hope it works on your mental kitties

I would just get a door and have them cut the top off at the store where you buy it lol. How did you guys make that baby? hehehe
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

September 1st, 2012, 10:26 AM
Lol.. the door frame is also too wide for a standard door. We have sheets over the doors for some privacy. Mike's cousin also rarely spends any time in her room.. she just recently started sleeping in her room this past week. It gets too hot in her room for anyone to comfortably sleep, it gets like that in mine & Mike's room too but we have ac. Either way, I know how to be quiet lol
Gripstress likes this.
September 1st, 2012, 07:31 PM
rucca1002's Avatar Veteran
I don't really have any additional ideas but I can say that with both my other boys, our kitty never even attempted to get in the crib -- as long as nothing was close enough to it for him to be able to jump in. He was a chunker though... So maybe they won't even attempt?
September 1st, 2012, 10:58 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
Our cat Bandit keeps getting in the crib now that its all set up. SO I feel for you about the hair all over everything. I'm not worried about the smothering that so many older people talk about.

I dont know what we're going to do if anything. At this point were just going to wait and see if she still gets into the crib once Samantha is occupying it.
We really dont think Bandit will continue to get in the crib once she has to share it.
I'd say wait and see. Maybe they wont want to be anywhere near her.

September 1st, 2012, 11:23 PM
Yeah, maybe they wont. I dunno how they will react. Precious is a stray who followed me home. I don't know what her life was like before she came to live with me. I am almost 100% sure she had a home at one point, she is super friendly, and she knew how to use a litterbox. I just don't know what her exposure to babies/kids was like. Her son (she was also pregnant when she followed me home) Socks was born in my room & has never been exposed to babies or anything. He's probably gunna be scared, I've let him downstairs a few times & he was scared of Monster (my HUGE downstairs cat) and just plain scared of being downstairs in general. I wll just have to see when I set up the crib, but I'm almost positive they will be curious & want to sleep in it. Now, how they are once Aubree comes home, I wont know til the time comes.

Katie, I am also not worried about the smothering thing. I believe that came from back in the old days, when a baby just died it was likely SIDS, but because at the time SIDS wasn't named as such, they needed *something* to blame, and so they pointed the finger at the cats. Everyone I know that has cats & a baby has never had any problems, and I'm not worried at all about that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search