Oh pica...you found me again.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2012, 10:39 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Seriously, every time I get towards the end of the pregnancy, I begin to crave ice. Like I can't stop chewing it. Any other time, the thought of chewing ice makes my teeth hurt, but when pregnant, I can't get enough of it! With my first born's pregnancy, my doctor told me it was called pica and sent me for blood work to check for anemia and it came back fine. I had it checked with Penny's pregnancy too and everything was fine and I'll definitely check again this time.
Anyone else have weird cravings?

September 3rd, 2012, 10:45 AM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love crushed ice when I am pregnant. My iron was lovw with the others but I don't think it was enough to make me crave it that much. I also had to switch my soap to irish spring since I could not get enough of the smell. I never tried to eat it or anything so I guess it wasnt too bad.

September 3rd, 2012, 10:47 AM
Crystalici0us4's Avatar Aubree Lynn's Mommy<3<3
I thought pica was the urge to eat non food items? I know ice technically isn't food, but its still edible, if that makes sense? To me, non food items are things that can cause you harm if eaten. I don't think craving ice should be considered pica.

Now, if you were craving chalk, laundry detergent, or drywall that's a different story...

Last edited by Crystalici0us4; September 3rd, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
September 3rd, 2012, 10:59 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Yeah I was going to say at least it's ice and not something really bizarre! No weird cravings for me, although I'm not really having many cravings at all.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

September 3rd, 2012, 11:15 AM
anna.rose's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't think ice was PICA related but I could be wrong. I freaking love ice right now. Especially hospital ice. For some reason they have it crushed in just the right way.

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
September 3rd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I bet your dentist loves it when you're pregnant Mary! I haven't had any weird cravings... not any real cravings at all so far. Things sound good, but I don't HAVE to have them.

One of my aunts told me that when she was carrying one of hers she had to walk by a construction site and she craved the cement! She said some days it was all she could do to not pick up a big chunk and gnaw on it!

And it is a form of pica, called Pagophagia - the pathological consumption of ice! Makes my jaw hurt just thinking about it!

September 3rd, 2012, 02:30 PM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
guess im just weired lol i love to eat ice all the time and i have never had low iron until this pregnancy and now i like ice but dont crave it...lol my body always has been kinda backwords sometimes lol

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

September 3rd, 2012, 05:00 PM
Crystal - don't you dare take a bite of that Irish Spring! LOL I wonder what that's all about? Glad I'm not the only one craving ice and other things, it's so weird how this craving comes about only when pregnant.

Cassie - yes, at least it's something pretty benign! I watched some show a couple months ago where a teenage girl was admitting to her mother that she ate laundry soap. The mother was crying and pleading with her to stop. Crazy!

Anna - I TOTALLY get the hospital ice shavings comment! The hospital ice shavings are the absolute best. I feel like the second best ice is at my MIL's house for some reason, it's light and airy and super easy to chew, yum. The best I can get at my house is crushed ice from the ice dispenser left in some water for a few minutes and it gets pretty easy and satisfying to chew.

Becky - yes, my dentist is probably waiting with baited breath! Haha. After the replies to this thread, I checked resources also and yep, ice craving is a form of pica so my dr was right to call it that. So weird about your aunt - I've also heard of pregnant women craving ash from ashtrays. Can you imagine picking up cigarette ash and eating it? I guess a lot of it comes from mineral deficiencies, so weird!

September 3rd, 2012, 09:02 PM
anna.rose's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! That's crazy, I totally didn't know that ice was considered a PICA craving. What nutrient are you lacking if you crave ice? Isn't PICA because you lack certain things in your diet?

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
September 3rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna.rose View Post
Wow! That's crazy, I totally didn't know that ice was considered a PICA craving. What nutrient are you lacking if you crave ice? Isn't PICA because you lack certain things in your diet?
The craving (and I'm talking craving, not just enjoying chewing on ice every once in a while) can indicate an iron deficiency. Isn't that so weird?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search