Opinions wanted

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By just_em
  • 1 Post By shanirah

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
My baby is breastfed while I am at home and bottle fed pumped milk while I am at work. Lately, I have not been able to pump enough to match what she drinks at daycare and I am almost out of freezer milk. She is 4.5 months old. Is it better to supplement with formula or start introducing baby food one meal a day?
September 4th, 2012, 07:26 AM
just_em's Avatar TANSTAAFL!
Okay, first things first - LOVE the new signature. Made me laugh, which doesn't happen all that often. Mostly I just snicker. Sometimes I chortle.

Now to get to the question. I'm having the same dilemma. My daughter will be five months next week, and doesn't really seem ready for food. But, I'm consistently two or more ounces short every day and almost out of frozen milk. I'm not terribly keen on formula and have been stressing out about this for a few weeks. Pumping just isn't as effective as nursing! You could try to encourage 'reverse cycling', but some babies just won't do it - and it's hard on you in the evenings and on weekends. http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling/

My chiropractor is something of a homeopath (okay, he's completely freaky about stuff), and has a son about five months older than my little girl. He told me about this: Homemade Baby Formula - Weston A Price Foundation. It's weird, but I'm thinking about it. I'm really quite anti-chemical whenever it can be avoided (no judgment of anyone else's choices, just my personal preference) and this seems like it might be a good solution.

If you wanted to start solids, maybe half a serving of that and half a bottle to start would help her transition?

I'll be watching this thread to see what else comes up.
Shadeauxe likes this.

September 4th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Yeah, I have hang-ups about formula too. It doesn't have any basis in logic just that I am so psychotically against anything I deem to be "processed food" that I can't let it go. Formula has fallen into that category for me, unfortunately. I could listen to arguments all day long about how it's fine and intellectually I know it is since I was formula fed and I am totally awesome as was/is my son. I just get stuck on the formula thing.

So, then I start researching organic formulas but there are only two manufacturers (several brands) and each is bad at something. I saw in a comment that same link about how to make my own formula but it looks way too complicated and I have an even stronger fear of messing that up.

So, I own a can of, IMO, the lesser of the two evils in organic formula hoping that murphy's law will help me out in that now that I own it I am less likely to need it (along the same lines as umbrellas and rain), because, yes, I am that crazy.

Also, this might help you out a bit. The lactation consultant said it was ok to mix an ounce or two of water in with the breast milk because that is better than using formula. So, I dump all of the breast milk (10 oz, usually) into a pyrex measuring thing, add 1.5oz of water and stir. Then I pour it back into the smaller containers so that the water is spread out over several bottles.

That still isn't going to be enough. So, I have called the lactation consultant again to see what she says about this. Also, my pump (rented) is freaking out, so I have to exchange it again.
September 4th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Clutch's Avatar First Timer
Have you tried taking any galactogogues like Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, Mother's Milk Tea, etc?
September 4th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
Have you tried taking any galactogogues like Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, Mother's Milk Tea, etc?
No, but I do eat oatmeal M-F usually. Today I had french toast though, which was super tasty but not very effective. I can look into those supplements.
September 4th, 2012, 12:35 PM
shanirah's Avatar Mommy Strawberry
Have you fed her any solids yet? Amelia had some last night and is totally not ready for them, and I know our girls share a birthday. I didn't know they made organicformula. Could you maybe water down the breastmilk, like you have been and then mix the watered down breastmilk with the organic formula? Add some baby cereal into the breastmilk? My baby bullet booklet came with a recipe to make brown rice baby cereal. I've never had to pump like you have to, so I really don't know what to advice.

“First things first, but not necessarily in that order.” The Doctor

September 4th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Veteran
Some of the organic baby formula's tested high for arsenic so just be sure whatever brand you bought wasn't one of them.

I wish I had some more advice but I don't. All I can say is keep trying with the pumping and take some of the supplements mentioned. I still have night where I cry because I didn't last with the BF'ing.
September 4th, 2012, 04:49 PM
The one I got was the one without arsenic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanirah View Post
Have you fed her any solids yet? Amelia had some last night and is totally not ready for them, and I know our girls share a birthday. I didn't know they made organicformula. Could you maybe water down the breastmilk, like you have been and then mix the watered down breastmilk with the organic formula? Add some baby cereal into the breastmilk? My baby bullet booklet came with a recipe to make brown rice baby cereal. I've never had to pump like you have to, so I really don't know what to advice.
No, I haven't tried the solids yet. She probably isn't ready either, but she is starting to pay more attention to us eating.
September 4th, 2012, 07:00 PM
shanirah's Avatar Mommy Strawberry
I gave Amelia some peaches after posting earlier and while she maybe took a teaspoon or so, it was more successful then last night.
Shadeauxe likes this.

“First things first, but not necessarily in that order.” The Doctor

September 4th, 2012, 10:04 PM
pr1madona's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would try fenugreek along with blessed thistle, and up your fluid intake. Cut out any caffeine too. IF that doesn't work, you can move on to stronger herbal things like shatavari. and you can always order domperidone from an online pharmacy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search