Breastfeeding Question

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gardenbelle
  • 1 Post By MarlowesMum

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
I want to try breastfeeding this time around. DD1 never took to the breast, which is ok cause she was a very aggresive eater... but the main issue is that I have inverted nipples.... I am wanting to find research and books to read to help me plan and comprehend the best method(s) for me and Sophia.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this, or any books they can reccomend?????

TIA

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

September 4th, 2012, 07:39 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Amazon.com: The Breastfeeding Book: Everything You Need to Know About Nursing Your Child from Birth Through Weaning (0038332821215): William Sears M.D.: Books

This book is amazing. My dental hygienist recommended it to me when I was pregnant with DD, and I immediately went out and bought it because she had successfully BF her child for 12 months while still working a full-time job, so she was my role model. Lots of good information!
September 4th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm no expert - but I heard those nipple shields can help for inverted nipples (a friend of mine used them).

Medela Contact Nipple Shield - 20MM - Medela - Babies "R" Us

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

September 4th, 2012, 07:44 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I recommend talking to an LC before DD2 gets here. I had short nipples and my DS had a high palate so we used a nipple shield for a first 3-4 months. It saved breastfeeding for us, I would talk to an LC about getting one (or something else if they recommend another method) and getting a game plan before little one comes so you set yourself up for the best chances.
Gripstress likes this.

September 4th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My BF question is- a lady at work told me I need to 'prepare' my nipples, 'make them calloused and bleed' to prepare for breast feeding. Sounds painful! Did you 'prepare' your nipples

September 4th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would recommend going to a Le Leche League meeting before the baby arrives, and probably after. I will likely have a difficult time breastfeeding due to a low supply due to having had a breast reduction. I plan to go at least once before this one arrives. Here is a link for your area... LLL in the USA - Oklahoma Groups

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
September 4th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky_78 View Post
I'm no expert - but I heard those nipple shields can help for inverted nipples (a friend of mine used them).

Medela Contact Nipple Shield - 20MM - Medela - Babies "R" Us
I totally saw these, and thought they would be great if Sophia and I can not get a good latch going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Grey View Post
I would recommend going to a Le Leche League meeting before the baby arrives, and probably after. I will likely have a difficult time breastfeeding due to a low supply due to having had a breast reduction. I plan to go at least once before this one arrives. Here is a link for your area... LLL in the USA - Oklahoma Groups
It sounds like a great idea, however the groups in my area meet on a weekday in the morning or afternoons while I am at work.... so its not really an option for me

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

September 4th, 2012, 12:45 PM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Kelly View Post
My BF question is- a lady at work told me I need to 'prepare' my nipples, 'make them calloused and bleed' to prepare for breast feeding. Sounds painful! Did you 'prepare' your nipples
I know that LLL says that there's no need to "prepare" your nipples. However, I did use lanolin for the last 4 weeks of pregnancy prior to DD's arrival, and I have to tell you that I did NOT have major issues with chafing/bleeding that some women complain of! I mean, it was a little ouchy as my nipples got accustomed to all that extra moisture - but it wasn't bad. Worth trying, right?
Gripstress likes this.
September 4th, 2012, 01:13 PM
anna.rose's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the LLL meetings or seeing the LC. You'll likely get to see the LC prior to leaving the hospital. I didn't prepare my nipples at all. That's silly. I did get a bit chapped and lanolin lotion was my god-send. I also had a friend with inverted nipples who used the shields. It's all about finding what works best for you and baby though!

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
September 4th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I bet you could contact someone at your local LLL and try to work out some other time to meet with someone. My cousin met with someone here and they were very willing to help accommodate. Worth a shot

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
September 4th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
Also, even if insurance doesn't cover it, a LC can have a session with you for about $30(you can bill insurance and see if they will pay it). They can even fit you for the right size of shield...they did for me.

Kelly, don't listen to the crazies! Prepping with some lanolin sounds great but making yourself bleed? no thank you!
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search