Little Update!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi Everyone! I so enjoyed going through posts and seeing how all the babies are growing growing! I thought I'd gave a little update...

We've had a pretty rough summer actually. Just as I was getting back on my feet after Josie arrived, our Cecilia, who will be 2 in October, had a horrible run in with our fire pit. The morning after my oldest daughter had a bonfire and dh put the fire out with the water hose, Celia made her way out into it to retrieve a dropped marshmallow. Evidently their were still smouldering embers, she burned the bottom of both of her little feet. Her left foot was 40% covered with second degree burns and her right was 100% covered with second and spots of third degree burns. She spent 5 days in the pediatric burn unit, and miraculously, she will not need skin grafts. This happened nearly 7 weeks ago, she has healed really well and now only requires light dressing on her right foot. She still has recuperating to do, as there is a lot of scar tissue, but she is going to be fine. It was very scary. The hospital was very accommodating, Josie and I stayed the entire time. Josie was a trooper and barely even peeped!

While Celia was in the hospital, the other children got sick with what we thought was a virus. Celia got it the day before she came home. A few days after they all seemed to recover.....a horrible cough started. Every. One. of my 12 children and myself had whooping cough! This was 6 weeks ago and some of us are still having coughing episodes. Poor Celia had it the worst. Josie had it also, but not too bad. We opted not to do antibiotics. She nursed constantly, I gave her mega doses of vitamin C, and kept her on me 24/7 to comfort her through any coughing episodes. I highly recommend mega vitamin C for pertussis - it's amazing stuff. Our ped said he is seeing a lot of whooping cough this year and most of the children are vaxed against it even. (none of mine are) It was a nerve wreaking couple of weeks, but I think we are on the mend.

I am praying for a peaceful end to this long summer and I am looking forward to the cozy, more structured days of fall.

Mama to:
Nick, 19
Abby, 17
Gabe, 15
Isaac, 13
Mary-Kate, 12
Sam, 11
Henry, 10
Molly, 8
Mark, 7
Greta, 5
Cecilia, 4
Josephine, 2
Evie, born 12.31.13
Baby due in July!

Last edited by JoyfulChaosMama; September 5th, 2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: typos!
September 5th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Mommy-to-2's Avatar Veteran
how horrible!! glad everyone is getting better! hopefully you will all have a great fall

September 5th, 2012, 10:39 AM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
Yikes! I've heard whooping cough is pretty responsive to high doses of vitamin C. Glad you are all on the mend! The burns sound scary. Hot things in general terrify me around children since my sister severely burned her wrist with soup as a toddler. Thanks for the update!

September 5th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think there are three things essential to treating a newborn with pertussis: 1. Breastmilk 2. Vitamin C (mega doses, well above the RDA, in the form of sodium ascorbate) 3. babywearing 24/7. Keeping baby upright helps keeping mucus from pooling and babywearing makes you available to comfort them through the massive coughing fits. It's pretty scary stuff for newborns.

Mama to:
Nick, 19
Abby, 17
Gabe, 15
Isaac, 13
Mary-Kate, 12
Sam, 11
Henry, 10
Molly, 8
Mark, 7
Greta, 5
Cecilia, 4
Josephine, 2
Evie, born 12.31.13
Baby due in July!
September 6th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Super Mommy
I'm so glad everyone's on the mend now - it's good to hear from you!
September 6th, 2012, 04:39 AM
RachaelDMommaTo3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RachaelDMommaTo3 Send a message via Yahoo to RachaelDMommaTo3
Thanks for the update Lisa, you've had just a rough summer!! So glad you're all doing better now!!

September 6th, 2012, 06:44 AM
PuppyLove22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my. What a rough summer. Glad everyone is doing better!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my beautiful siggy!!

September 6th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Amchelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, sounds like one rough summer! Glad you are all doing better, and hope you have a much better rest of the year! Thanks for the update.

September 6th, 2012, 06:52 PM
lromkee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! I'm so glad you are doing better.
When my husband was 2 he was severely burned on his chest. He has a huge scar. I'm glad Cecilia seems to be doing better.

September 7th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Jasmine.'s Avatar Mommy to Kay & Kennedy!
Wow. Glad to hear everyone is doing better now! It's good to hear from you!

September 7th, 2012, 01:28 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Oh thank god! Whooping cough can be deadly for newborns. I'm glad they're all ok! Also poor baby with the burns. Those hurt so bad.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
September 7th, 2012, 02:09 PM
first time mommy to be!
eek! what a summer. glad everyone is okay. how scary!

September 7th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad to hear everyone is okay. I fell into a fire pit while camping. That pit had been put out with water by the previous campers. I have no scars from my burns.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

September 7th, 2012, 10:32 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Terra has her first cold, most of us in the house have it. Keeping her upright makes me feel safer for sure. I feel so bad for her. I have it too and feel awful, but I know how to deal with a cold, I've had them before...

I hope things start to be on the up for the family.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search