Clothes - what do I really need???

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By LiamsMother
  • 1 Post By Leanne78
  • 2 Post By Sam914
  • 1 Post By TVH
  • 1 Post By meddleman
  • 1 Post By BabyLove23

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Veteran
I have a hodge podge of hand-me-down baby clothes and I'm trying to sort through them. When taken as a whole I have WAY too many clothes but I worry that I may be overlooking something since I have so much stuff. For example in 0-3 month I have 76 short sleeve onesies but only about a dozen long sleeve ones. I also have some of what I would call pj's, long sleeve with legs and feet so maybe that will suffice for the winter months? Can I get away with a onsie if she is wrapped in a blanket anyway? I also have a couple of sweaters and 6 pairs of pants that I could pair with them.

I really don't want to get any more clothes but I also don't want to find out that I'm missing something I need.
September 20th, 2012, 07:25 PM
LiamsMother's Avatar Amanda (Amahnda)
My son wasn't in daycare, so most of the time he was just in his diaper or a diaper and a short sleeved onesie. We keep the house very hot, so he would've been uncomfortable in clothes. If you're going to have the baby in day care, then yes, a lot of winter clothes will be needed.
Cocoa Sashimi likes this.

September 20th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Veteran
We are lucky enough to have camp Grandma. Actually I had not thought about that but she does tend to keep the house fairly warm so they may be more practical than I thought.
September 21st, 2012, 05:41 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
It sounds like you might have plenty of clothes. And you can always get more if you find that your options are limited. I only have maybe 4 or 5 long sleeve onesies. Everything else is short sleeves. And I have about 3 pairs of pants. Baby will spend most of her time in her pj's. If it was Summer, she'd be in her onesie only.
~Tanya~ likes this.

September 21st, 2012, 06:42 AM
BlndGrl8's Avatar Kaitlin & Cameron's Mommy
I would probably buy some more sleep and plays that are long sleeved with feet. That way baby can wear them during the day and to sleep in
September 21st, 2012, 06:51 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Sounds like you had plenty to me too!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
September 21st, 2012, 07:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I personally buy more sleepers (long sleeve with the feet) then anything else. They are comfy and warmest (IMO) for sleeping especially during the winter and baby could wear them during the day also... makes it really easy to change clothes etc and you dont have to worry about mixing and matching. I'de either get some more of those or a few more pants/sweaters to go with the short sleeve onesies.

Generally speaking i try to have at least two weeks of each item of clothing that way if things get crazy i dont NEED to do laundry. 14 onesies (long or short sleeve depending on season, right now i have a mix for the first few months), 7 - 10 pairs of pants, 10+ pairs of socks, 14+ sleepers, 2-3 hoodies/sweaters, and a few "going out" full outfits that are ridiculously cute but she'll probably wear once

September 21st, 2012, 07:33 AM
Veteran
Sam914 - THANK YOU for that list! I have a pile of other stuff but I really can't tell if I have enough of the correct stuff. I'll sort and count everything this weekend but this gives me a better idea of what is realistically needed.
September 21st, 2012, 07:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah i'm a little OCD and made a spreadsheet when my son was born.... lol. Usually you end up with WAY more onesies then you need (that seems to be what people gift you) and then you have no pants or socks
Think4Yourself and BlndGrl8 like this.

September 21st, 2012, 09:31 AM
Veteran
I've asked the person who is hosting my shower (if it ever gets planned) to stress NO CLOTHES unless they are 6+ month size.

I just loaded Office 2010 on my computer at home and need an excuse to learn the new version of excel. Baby stuff spread sheet here I come!
Sam914 likes this.
September 21st, 2012, 01:14 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
I just got the twins a bunch of fleece sleepers. I dressed the girls all cute in outfits from day one, but with twins they are just going to have to deal with being in sleepers for the first few months - warm, and low maintenance. Just what I need with 4 kids!
BabyLove23 likes this.
September 21st, 2012, 08:34 PM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Fleece sleepers.. agree with others!
And these are my FAVE for nighttime:

Amazon.com: Tadpoles Organic Cotton Sleep Gown, Sage, 0-6 Months: Baby

that one is ridiculously expensive for some reason lol but they make them in sets of 3 or more sometimes and they were all I used in the beginning with DS. Makes nightitme half asleep diaper changes SO EASY with no buttons or snaps to mess with.

September 22nd, 2012, 04:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I really like sleepers for the first 4-5 months so I have a lot of those and onsies, and about 3-5 outfits in 0-3, in 3-6 I have about 7-10 outfits and a ton of sleepers, since our babies will be little through the end of fall and all of winter that should keep him nice and warm.

September 22nd, 2012, 04:57 AM
BabyLove23's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I still put my daughter in pj's during the day! Some times it's just easier, and if we are not going out, why not be comfy?!
Sam914 likes this.

Thank you peimum for my siggie!!!
September 22nd, 2012, 07:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
There are MANY days my ds doesnt end up dressed... and then when he does its in track or sweat pants so its just like his jammies anyway so theres no point

September 22nd, 2012, 08:44 AM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have at least a weeks worth of clothes in preemie (5-9) lb size because my babies are only in the 7 lb range at birth. For 0-3 I have probably two weeks worth of clothes. Mostly the footed sleepers, long sleeved onesies with knit pants. I learned with my first girl that dresses and skirts are useless until they are walking. Crawling in a dress doesn't work. For the first month or so I like the long sleep sack type things that are open at the bottom for easy diaper changes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search