Flu shot

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2012, 04:53 PM
rachkel's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm "supposed" to get the flu shot every year because of my asthma, but I never do. I have a couple reasons... the first is that I'm not comfortable with vaccines that come out on the market so quickly, and the flu shots do that every year. The second is because for some reason, whenever I get the flu shot, I always get the worst case of the flu that year. Always. It never fails. The last flu shot I got was in 2009, and that winter I ended up running a fever of 103 for a few days and I couldn't get out of bed. It was plain miserable...

I've toyed with the idea of getting one this year because Oliver will be born in the prime of cold/flu season. But I doubt I will. I may have DH get one since he'll be out in the public working and I'll be at home.

Visit my blog! Lots of health and fitness insights... including pregnancy!

www.HealthFitnessLove.wordpress.com

September 21st, 2012, 06:51 PM
Hopolka's Avatar Wife, Mom of 1, Expecting
I don't really have a good reason or explanation but I got it a couple days ago at my OB appointment. A couple years ago when I got it, I totally got super sick. I felt I was taking a risk by getting it this year, especially so close to the end. But, I figure the flu virus changes/adapts so much if I introduce my body to it now maybe it won't be so bad if I get sick later. And also because baby is due in the middle of cold/flu season. We'll see. Oh well. Its free, so why not.
rachkel likes this.
September 21st, 2012, 09:23 PM
LindsayGriff
So I make DH and DS get it and they don't have a problem. I on the other hand react to something in the shot. I know it is not me getting the flu but having an allergic reaction to something in the shot. I use to just get a low grade fever and muscle aches after getting it but 2 yrs ago, with in 3 hrs my throat swelled up and I had to be given steroids. Last year I declined the shot due to my previous reaction, however all winter I was completely terrified with getting the flu. Would wear a mask anytime I went into a patients room that had anything respiratory. I was on call one night and was called to a patient's room where the nurses told me he had pneumonia and had some trouble breathing. Didn't wear a mask that time and 2 days later found out his influenza test came back positive. I was paranoid for wks after that. With the baby coming, I think I am going to get it again this year for my and the babies protection. I am going to take benedryl and tylenol before getting it this time and will ask for the latex free one to see if that makes any difference even though I am not allergic to latex and I will be getting it in the morning so I have all day at the hospital to see if I develop a rxn and can quickly be seen if I do.

Thank you peimum for my siggy
September 21st, 2012, 09:55 PM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No we do not do flu shots here. Well, we don't do any shots lol but especially the flu shot. Read the packets, even the packet insert that comes with the shot says in it that there haven't been studies done and that there's nothing saying it actually works It's silly. Besides every year they are just guessing anyways. My dh got the flu shot one time and that was the only time he ever got it, he was sick for 3 weeks after that couldn't even get out of bed, lost a crap ton of weight from being so sick for so long. No thanks.

We get lots of Vit C in the winter, lots of wholesome foods, and I breastfeed so that helps, also. DS and I got the flu last flu season, dh brought it home from work, and it sucked for a week but wasn't the end of the world.. we stayed hydrated, took our vitamins, got better.

If they won't give the shot to a newborn, why would I want to take it while growing him still. None of it is worth it on the off chance that they *might* have gotten the correct strain, and it *might* help give me a lesser version of the flu if I *happen* to catch it this year.

September 22nd, 2012, 09:39 AM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am a nurse and am required to get one, although I would have anyway. I've seen patients (some pregnant) die from the flu. DH and my kids will receive the vaccine as well, and DH will be getting the Tdap as well.
Mommy_RN_3 likes this.
September 22nd, 2012, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I will be getting it this year like I do every year. I work with cancer pt's who are currently undergoing chemo and radiation. So with their immune systems being so compromised everyone in my department is pretty much required to get vaccinated. I plan on getting DS his when I get mine. I do like to wait until later in the season, usually after Thanksgiving, but I know we will get it in the next few weeks this year. I hope DH will get his this year too. He never gets the flu shot, but got the flu when DS was 6wks old and I had to move in with my parents until he got well so DS didn't get exposed too bad. I really don't want to do that with 2 LO's this year.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search