Flu shot

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2012, 09:06 AM
Veteran
What do you guys think, yesterday at my ob appt the nurse was really pushing that i get the flu shot. Im not scared of shots or anything but i dont really know if i think its nesccarry. I havent had the flu in ages i really cant not remember probbly 10 plus years... Do you guys think its worth it, any known bad side effects? The nurse says you dont get any syptoms of the flu with the shot, but i keep thinking why mess up whats been working for years now

Thank You Peimum for my beautiful siggy (:

September 21st, 2012, 09:21 AM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im not really sure I personally have not gotton one but not for any particualer reson iv just never gotton them. well i take that back when i was a kid we went and got them one time and it was the only year my entier family caught the flu so idk that there even worth it. (we did not get sick from the shots though it was over a month latter i think it just ended up being a different strain actually going around then what they vaccinated for that year).

I thought about asking my ob about it but the only place i even know of to get them is a foldout table in walmart which just seems weird to me. maybe if my ob will do it ill get one. it just seems kinda creepy to get a flu shot at walmart even though im sure its all safe an sanitary or it wouldnt be allowed.

September 21st, 2012, 09:22 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I get one every year, because I am a teacher and get exposed to a TON of crud. All of my students have already been coming down with various stuff, so I opted to get the preservative free flu shot yesterday. I don't want to take any chances, especially with a newborn in the house. I have never had an adverse reaction to the shot, but I DID feel crummy for about 24 hours after getting the flu MIST one year (active vaccine vs. inactive). If I didn't work in a field where I was exposed to tons of illness, I might opt out... you just have to weigh the pros and cons. Personally, I would do it any time I was having a baby at the height of flu season, but that's just me.

September 21st, 2012, 09:25 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I plan to get the flu shot and so will DH. I've gotten it a few times in the past and never had a bad reaction. My OB will give it to all pregnant women next month.

September 21st, 2012, 09:28 AM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I won't be getting it, last time I had it, I think I was pregnant with Sofia. I felt like complete crap after it. DH ges it though, he works in IT touching keyboards and computers that everyone else has touched, which is kind of gross. And I'm getting it for Carly this year for the first time since she just started preschool, and I know she's going to catch every illness going around.

September 21st, 2012, 09:38 AM
Veteran
Hmm i guess i'll prob get it, just because i dont really usually have bad reactions to meds and i'll just make sure i have off the next day incase i do feel a bit down, but i'll be more doing it so the baby gets the benefits of it.. my bf is a huge wuss wen it comes to needles so he refuses to get it, so i hope he knows if hes at all sick he wont be spending any time with our baby lol, and i'll still make him go to work he he

Thank You Peimum for my beautiful siggy (:

September 21st, 2012, 09:48 AM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never gotten a flu shot in my life, even when I was teaching and working in child care, so I doubt that I will start now.
*Izzy's*Mommy* likes this.

September 21st, 2012, 09:56 AM
fireflyluna13's Avatar Super Mommy
I'll be getting it and so will my boys. DF probably won't. I work with patient's that get H1N1 and the kids always get sick in the winter.
~Selena, mom to 3 boys: Alex 10, William 8. and Baby boy #3 Lukas Araya born 10/28/2012

Lukas was born with moderate to severe metopic craniosynostosis with trigonocephaly. Corrective surgery performed March 18, 2013. We are on the other side!!!
September 21st, 2012, 09:56 AM
TammyLynn1993's Avatar I love you Isabella
I don't think I will be getting it, but everyone else in the house will, especially my SO. I hardly ever go out, so I don't wanna feel like crap over something I most likely won't get...

*Thank you<3Kiliki for the siggy*

September 21st, 2012, 10:03 AM
Pixie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My OB recommends all patients under 36 weeks to get it. I got it with my son because he was born right in the middle of flu season. I will probably get it with this one at my next appointment too since I'll be 35 weeks then. The reason it is recommended is because you have a weaker immune system when pregnant so a higher chance of catching the flu. And if you do catch it, it will hit you harder. Also, if you are immune to it, you have lesser of a chance of catching it and giving it to your newborn baby after it's here.

September 21st, 2012, 10:03 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I will get it since I'm having this baby during flu season and I think by getting it, we pass on the antibodies to the baby through our breast milk? Someone correct me if that's wrong. I'm pretty sure that's why I was advised to get it last time since baby can't have the shot for a while but I'm not sure that's right now. I normally do not have a problem with it, but there was one year, that I felt like crap the whole day after getting it - chills, low grade fever etc... It only last for 24 hours though. The one year DH and I didn't get it, we both came down with the flu and swore we would not go without again.

Last edited by Leanne78; September 21st, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
September 21st, 2012, 10:28 AM
Veteran
I've never gotten a flu shot so I opted not to get it when my Dr.'s office offered it the other day. They didn't seem to care one way or another.
September 21st, 2012, 10:44 AM
Veteran
I asked about it at my last appointment and they gave me the shot right then. I take Enbrel so I have to get the shot. The shot is a dead strain while the mist is a weakend, live strain. If I got the mist I most likely would get the full blown flu.
I checked with my doctor that prescribes me Enbrel. He is a top nephrologist at the Mayo and says it is safe and recommended.
September 21st, 2012, 11:02 AM
Country928's Avatar Marisa
I have been getting the flu shot for the last 5 yrs. I have never had any effects afterwards. I will be getting it again. Just looking for someone who does them cheap or takes medicaid.
September 21st, 2012, 12:10 PM
BlndGrl8's Avatar Kaitlin & Cameron's Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluEeyes View Post
What do you guys think, yesterday at my ob appt the nurse was really pushing that i get the flu shot. Im not scared of shots or anything but i dont really know if i think its nesccarry. I havent had the flu in ages i really cant not remember probbly 10 plus years... Do you guys think its worth it, any known bad side effects? The nurse says you dont get any syptoms of the flu with the shot, but i keep thinking why mess up whats been working for years now
No, we don't do flu shots here.

Your OB cannot FORCE you to get any shot if you don't feel comfortable doing it. If you are unsure, I would research some things before you just say ok.
When I was pregnant with our first, it was when the whole H1N1 scare was out. I wasn't letting anyone use scare tactics to make me cave and get some shot that had just come out. No way was my unborn child being a guinea pig.
Think4Yourself likes this.
September 21st, 2012, 01:59 PM
BabyLove23's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We all get it here. None of us have had any side effects as far as I know.

Thank you peimum for my siggie!!!
September 21st, 2012, 02:04 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
You shouldn't get any symptoms from the shot, its a dead strain so you can't actually "get" the flu from it. The mist is a live strain, so you could get sypmtoms from that but they won't give that to pg women.

I'm going to talk to my OB about it. We usually don't do flu shots but I think we are this year - with Nora in preschool and the babies coming smack dab in the middle of flu season, and possibly being immuno-compromised I'd rather be safe than sorry.
September 21st, 2012, 03:34 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dh is the only one who has ever had the flu shot and that was because he was in the Army and had no choice. Every time they gave him one he got sick. Actually any time they vaccinated him he got sick. I always hated it when he told me they gave him shots. The kids and I have never gotten the flu shot and have never gotten the flu. One year when the kids were in school, they had an awful flu season, almost had to close some schools in the district because so many kids and teachers were sick. My kids had friends, classmates and teachers who were sick with the flu and several had gotten flu shots, we did not and none of us got the flu. I did make sure we all took a lot of vitamin C. People were upset because they had gotten flu shots and now all these people were sick with the flu. The news said it was a different strain of flu than the vaccine.

Last edited by Mommyx12; September 21st, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
September 21st, 2012, 03:37 PM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've already had mine, DH and DS are both getting theirs next week. With DS in preschool and the new baby coming in the middle of flu season, I just feel like it's a good idea. None of us got it last year however.

I just get it based on how I perceive the overall risk to our family each year. I got it when I was pregnant with DS and both DH and DS got it (plus the booster) the year H1N1 was a real risk (several children in our community were hospitalized from it).

baby Roger @ 7 months

September 21st, 2012, 04:05 PM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
We don't get the flu shot and I've never had the flu. DH has to get his, but the rest of us don't.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search