out of ultrasounds

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2012, 09:03 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just realized my insurance only covers 3 ultrasounds per pregnancy. i had the 1st at the ER the second was an anatomy scan and im scheduled for a growth check next week so i will be "out of ultrasounds" after that. Im kinda worried about it. i mean granted next week i will be 34 weeks so I wont really be pregnant for long afterward but it just feels kinda weird that I basically cant have anymore.

Is anyone else on a limit?
if so is your ob saving any for emergencys?

September 21st, 2012, 09:08 PM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
all insurances have limits.. but there is usually always an "endless" amount for medical reasons... your on state insurance aren't you?? they have endless ultrasounds for medical reasons..

but you really don't need anymore ultrasounds after that unless there is a medical reason for it.. getting a growth check for the hey of it is quite a lot more than what most people get on a regular basis lol
September 21st, 2012, 09:19 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I think for most normal pregnancies the anatomy scan is the last one anyway If a medical complication arises there is usually coverage for those cases - at least from my experience that's how it has worked.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
September 21st, 2012, 09:29 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
its not exactly for they hey of it they are concerned he isnt growing due to my measurements lately......but i think they are wrong cuz he is way to active to be messed up IMO. I didn't realize they would give you additional ones in case of emergency that's nice to know now im way less worried since thats the only reason for me to have another anyway.

September 21st, 2012, 09:37 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
My insurance technically only covers the anatomy scan, but if the dr orders u/s for medical reasons they are covered, so I bet yours are, too. I get them weekly now and haven't ever had to pay for one other than my copay! There are certain medical codes (such as growth concerns) that are covered reasons.
September 22nd, 2012, 01:28 AM
rachkel's Avatar Super Mommy
I have state insurance, and I've never been told I have a limit on ultrasounds. I know I'll have at least one more -- a late pregnancy ultrasound. Its one of those things that as long as my OB deems it medically necessary, the state will cover it. Most OB's don't send you for an ultrasound unless they need you to have one.

Visit my blog! Lots of health and fitness insights... including pregnancy!

www.HealthFitnessLove.wordpress.com

September 22nd, 2012, 04:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think my insurance has a limit, but dh union just got this insurance this past January so it's my first pregnancy w/ it. But my dr's office generally limits to 3 unless medically needed. Being high risk I get more though.

September 22nd, 2012, 06:07 AM
newserenity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Even though there are 3 allowed under "normal" circumstances, PPs are right that they allow as many as deemed necessary by your OB. When I was pregnant with my first my insurance only allowed one US at 20 weeks. BUT, since I had subchronic bleed early in the pregnancy and then later had an elevated afp test I ended up getting 7 US before the end of my pregnancy and insurance covered all of them since they were deemed medically necessary. Believe me if they think there is a reason they will do more!

September 22nd, 2012, 06:34 AM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
Govt inssurance and we have no limit. So I have them monthly with my MFM and starting next week I will be getting them weekly to check size and fluid levels with my regular OB.

September 22nd, 2012, 07:12 AM
Almondeyes's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Almondeyes
I've had over 20 u/s crazy I know, and the only thing I pay is the co-pay. I am also high risk, so I medically needed them every time.

September 22nd, 2012, 07:40 AM
Mollyjayne's Avatar Super Mommy
I've only had the anatomy scan. My midwife considers Ultrasounds invasive and will only prescribe them if something isnt quite right.
September 22nd, 2012, 07:40 AM
Veteran
My insurance only covers two - the regular 12 week US and the 20 week anatomy scan, other than that I'm 100% out of pocket. Currently I've had 4 and my Dr. is talking about at least one more but I really hope that doesn't happen since those suckers are pricy!
September 22nd, 2012, 08:43 AM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
Are you out of pocket until you meet your deductible? That's how it usually works. Then after you meet the deductible you pay whatever your plan is at. mine is 80/20, so I would pay 20% and insurance will pay the rest for whatever other procedures/medical issues I have. Until I reach my max out of pocket which I already have so now they cover everything 100%
September 22nd, 2012, 08:46 AM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't pay extra for mine but the three that are standard are the first trimester scan, NT scan at 12 weeks, and 20 week anatomy scan. They will pay for others if there is an issue but I have no complications that would require a late pregnancy scan.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search