brestfeeding

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes
  • 6 Post By Glycerin19
  • 4 Post By meddleman
  • 3 Post By *Izzy's*Mommy*
  • 2 Post By LindsayGriff
  • 2 Post By NewGurl
  • 2 Post By *Izzy's*Mommy*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2012, 05:10 PM
turtlefly's Avatar Veteran
i'm leaning toward a no on this but i feel like if people knew i wasn't breastfeeding, they would question why not, and try to talk me out of it. i have been thinking about this ever since i found out i was pregnant, i know breast milk is best for the baby, but i just feel very uncomfortable about it. my husband was talking to me about getting the correct vitamins for my milk, i just think it will overwhelm me. i don't know what i think, i done research on it and i still can't decide and i'm running out of time, am i'm i bad mother because i might not breastfeed?

September 23rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
NorthTXMomof3's Avatar Veteran
You're not a bad mother. Everyone has their preference. I don't BF either. I had a bad experience with my first DS and I've never tried again.
September 23rd, 2012, 05:23 PM
Pixie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not breastfeeding either. I also had a bad experience with my first and I have no desire to go through it again. You aren't a bad mother if you choose not to and you don't have to answer to anyone regarding your choice. I agree that breast milk is always best, but as long as you are feeding your child, that is all that matters.

September 23rd, 2012, 05:46 PM
Glycerin19's Avatar Mindful Mama
Just to comment on one aspect of your post, I don't think you need to eat in a special way to get good breastmilk. Your body will take what it needs to make nutrient rich milk, even if that means you yourself are losing the vitamins. But as long as you are eating relatively healthy and are not starving, your milk will be just fine.

I nurse. I've nursed for over 10 years total between my kids, and it will probably be close to 14 when Norah is done. That said, it's a personal decision that only you can make. If you want help and support, I'm sure there will be plenty here, but if you don't want to nurse there is support there too.

Mom to Norah (12/5/2012), Stella (5), Elly (7), and Nick (12)

September 23rd, 2012, 05:51 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glycerin19 View Post
Just to comment on one aspect of your post, I don't think you need to eat in a special way to get good breastmilk. Your body will take what it needs to make nutrient rich milk, even if that means you yourself are losing the vitamins. But as long as you are eating relatively healthy and are not starving, your milk will be just fine.

I nurse. I've nursed for over 10 years total between my kids, and it will probably be close to 14 when Norah is done. That said, it's a personal decision that only you can make. If you want help and support, I'm sure there will be plenty here, but if you don't want to nurse there is support there too.
Awww, love the name you chose! (my oldest is Nora)

To the OP - why not take a breastfeeding class or talk to a lactation consultant to answer your questions? They'll be able to put your mind at ease and give you the facts to base your decision on.
September 23rd, 2012, 05:57 PM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glycerin19 View Post

Exactly. You don't need to change anything in your diet. Just continue taking your prenatals, and the baby gets a drop of vit d as well. You can put it on your breast or on the nipple of a bottle, there's nothing to it.

If something bothers you about physically breastfeeding, why not pump? It is the best thing you can feed your baby, so at least you'll be giving it to your baby. After all, your body specifically makes that milk for your baby.

I think it's always best to just give it a go. There's no harm in it if it doesn't work out, but at least you'll know for sure how you feel about it. I think that you're psyching yourself out right now by over thinking it.

If you ever have any questions, feel free to PM me. I breastfed my daughter for 30 months with great success!

September 23rd, 2012, 06:05 PM
turtlefly's Avatar Veteran
ty all, i over think a lot of things .

September 23rd, 2012, 07:27 PM
LindsayGriff
I remember I was scared to death with my 1st about breast feeding. I am one that gets a weird feeling about my nipples being touched, I don't let DH do it much because I don't like it so I was scared of a baby sucking on them all the time but I gave it a try and it wasn't bad and am actually looking forward to nursing again this time because of the bond that develops with nursing. I would at least try it and if you don't like it, then that is perfectly fine.
LiamsMother and Alaska Baby14 like this.

Thank you peimum for my siggy
September 23rd, 2012, 07:44 PM
*Ade*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like to encourage every new mother to at least try. If you try, at least you'll know if it's "for you" or not. However, it's your decision and noone else's. If you feel best skipping it, that's your call and who cares what anyone else thinks?!

September 23rd, 2012, 09:31 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i really wouldnt worry about what others have to say about it no matter what you do someone will say its wrong so screw all the opinions lol. honestly the only reson im really trying breastfeed is becuse its cheaper. I may love it and i may hate it but if it doesnt work out im not going to lose sleep over it. there is millions of formula babies out there probablly over half of us included and none of us are any worse for wear. who cares why you are or arnt doing something its none of anyone's business.
~Tanya~ and Alaska Baby14 like this.

September 23rd, 2012, 11:59 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I'd encourage you just to try. You simply can't know for sure if it will be something you will or won't want to do until you've given it a go. Even with past experiences possibly being bad, every baby can be different. I have a friend who tried with her first two children and absolutely could not nurse them and formula fed. Then, her third ended up being a nursing champ! Even if you decide in the end not to nurse, just the colostrum alone is so incredibly beneficial to baby, especially at the height of cold/flu season. If you ultimately decide to go the formula route, then hold your head high, because there are obviously PLENTY of healthy formula fed babies in the world!

September 24th, 2012, 01:23 AM
rachkel's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm not breastfeeding, and I'm open about that. I get questions and lectures all the time... but I am now past the point of caring. My reason is simply because the idea of a human being eating off from my boob freaks the hell outta me. To me, it seems cannibalistic. I will however pump. While in L&D tonight I asked if they did pump rentals at the hospital and they do. I don't really want to buy a pump, so if they didn't, I was going to formula feed.

Bottom line. Its your choice. Whether other people accept it or not is up to them. As long as you're feeding your babe, then everything is totally ok

Visit my blog! Lots of health and fitness insights... including pregnancy!

www.HealthFitnessLove.wordpress.com

September 24th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Veteran
I've heard a couple of horror stories about bf and generally that it was harder and more painful than friends expected. I decides to try to get ahead of the game and am enrolling in a bf class before the baby gets here. That way I'll have information before I'm overwhelmed in the hospital and in case the lactation consultant on duty sucks (one friend had a terrible one). Other than the health benefits of breastfeeding, I was reading on a baby care blog that formula feeding can cost over $2k! That being said, formula feeding won't kill your kid and whatever decision you make is yours. If you decide not to bf, I'd find a fun snarky response for people when they start to give you the evil eye
September 24th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I also think that it is a very personal decision... I didn't breastfeed either of my children and did get the lectures, but it is a choice I made and was ok with the decision. I would like to try this time around (mostly for financial reasons), but am leaning towards not doing so again because of other issues I might encounter.

Either way you choose, it is YOUR choice and I hope it works out for you

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

September 24th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Veteran
I, too, beleive it is a personal choice. It's worth trying at least though. I can tell you that nursing is a whole lot easier in the long run than keeping bottles clean and making sure you have somewhere to warm water, etc. It was for me at least. It does have it's set of challenges (what baby doesn't??) and knowing where to go for help before hand will make everything all that much easier.

I would suggest classes and finding a Le Leche League (LLL) close to you for some pre-baby awareness. Like others have said, try it, if you don't feel that it will work for you, then you can move to other options.
due with #4 in November, still nursing #3!

I love to blog, although I don't have much time for it recently... I will be back at it as soon as I can!

http://www.whereloveandfamilymeet.wordpress.com
http://www.wherelovemeetslife.wordpress.com
September 24th, 2012, 09:33 AM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachkel View Post
I'm not breastfeeding, and I'm open about that. I get questions and lectures all the time... but I am now past the point of caring. My reason is simply because the idea of a human being eating off from my boob freaks the hell outta me. To me, it seems cannibalistic. I will however pump. While in L&D tonight I asked if they did pump rentals at the hospital and they do. I don't really want to buy a pump, so if they didn't, I was going to formula feed.

Bottom line. Its your choice. Whether other people accept it or not is up to them. As long as you're feeding your babe, then everything is totally ok
That's quite a harsh thing to say. I think we usually try to not say just harsh sounding things to each other in this forum. I know you weren't saying it TO anyone, but still. It's anything BUT cannibalistic. In fact, it's the most biologically natural thing you can do for your baby.
meddleman and LiamsMother like this.

Last edited by *Izzy's*Mommy*; September 24th, 2012 at 09:58 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search