tiny baby?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By just_em
  • 1 Post By JenJen3574

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2012, 05:20 AM
SingingMama's Avatar So Blessed...
William has made a gradual decline in his weight percentiles since he was born. As of last Monday, I took him in for a weight check (DOB is 4-1-12), and he only weighed 13lb2oz! He was off the percentile charts! Needless to say, the dr.said to go ahead and start cereal. I have been EB since he was born, and he seems satisied, and thedr.doesnt seem that worried, but should I be worried?? I've never hadthis issue with my other LO's...
September 24th, 2012, 05:37 AM
just_em's Avatar TANSTAAFL!
So sorry you've got this going on!

His actual weight isn't an issue - babies come in all sorts of sizes. What might be concerning is that he's dropping percentile ranges (I say 'might' because all kids do it differently - what's normal for one is not so for another). We're battling that with our almost-two-year-old.

Is your pediatrician using percentile calculations for breastfed babies or formula-fed babies? They're often very different. Is William feeding well, seeming satisfied, and producing plenty of wet/dirty diapers? Is he very tall and thin? That could affect his weight classification. Is he growing out of clothing, regardless of his weight?

All sorts of questions to ask - and he could be just around the corner from a growth spurt that puts four pounds on him in two weeks! If you're still EB, what's your diet like? High in 'good' fats and proteins? What you eat can help your milk - and help William grow.

Long story short, if you're concerned about it, then it's something to deal with. If not, then trust your 'mama sense'. If you don't want to start cereals, try something else? Soft-boiled egg yolks are often recommended for early foods for babies - they're loaded with all kinds of good stuff.

And as always, if you don't feel like your doctor is quite sufficient, get a second opinion. I always like to keep the details to myself and see what the second doc says before I tell them what the first one said - it's fun!

Keep us posted on how things are - I know it's no fun.

September 24th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
I couldn't have said it better.
September 24th, 2012, 06:55 AM
I guess that my diet could be better...he is vey long (26-27in, at least), but his pants don't stay up around his bitty waist. My DD was the same way, but my DS1 was a chunker! Lol I started him on cereal last week, and he loves it! As for the EBF, I seem to produce less during the afternoon, but he cluster feeds every afternoon and feeds his final bedtime meal around 8pm. He doesn't wake up until at least 7:30am (usually * or later!)'''he would wake up ifhewas hungry...right...?
September 24th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Forgot to mention that he was 9lb5oz at birth...and is wearing3-6mo clothes, but his waist is too small for most of them...he was my biggest birth weight baby, and is now my peanut! I get so much pressure from grandparents (and even my sister!)about giving him 'real food'...if he was a girl, this wouldn't be an issue...it's sad...
September 24th, 2012, 08:31 AM
JenJen3574's Avatar Super Mommy
If he is doing fine with cereal, then that's great, but I wouldn't let pressure from others force you to do more with solids than you might otherwise.

All 3 of my kids have been peanuts and in the lower percentiles for weight (but 75% or more for height) - they take after my husband's build apparently! With my oldest I let my pediatrictian talk me into supplementing with formula and then giving cereal at 3 1/2 months when that didn't work, and then other solids shortly thereafter when cereal didn't help either. Guess what? After all that he was still only 10% for weight cause that is just the way God made him. At 17yr old he is still at about 10% for weight cause again despite eating way too much junk like many teenagers do - that is the way he is!

Katie and Clara have followed suite. I didn't cave on the feeding stuff for them and they maintained the same weight percentages too - right around 10% for weight, 75% for height. How they were fed made zero difference.
SingingMama likes this.
Once a decade, right?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search