Questions about social development.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Does your child...

Turn toward their name?
....all the time?
....some of the time?
....few times w/o distractions?
....not yet?

Do they wave hello?

Do they wave goodbye?

Are they reserved around people other than their parents?

Are they social butterflies?

Do they respond when you make different faces at them?

Do they recognize their parents?

Have they become fearful of people they have always know that aren't their parents?

Do they use any gestures to get what they want?

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com

Last edited by Spyctre; September 27th, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
September 27th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Does your child...

Turn toward their name?
....all the time?
....some of the time?
....not yet? Normally w/o distractions, hardly ever with ANY distraction.

Do they wave hello? not yet

Do they wave goodbye? not yet

Are they reserved around people other than their parents? Stranger Danger!

Are they social butterflies? Only from my lap.

Do they respond when you make different faces at them? Yes

Do they recognize their parents? Yes

Have they become fearful of people they have always know that aren't their parents? Not too much yet, but now prefers us.

Do they use any gestures to get what they want? holds up arms for up.

September 27th, 2012, 06:56 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Turn toward their name? Well, we rarely ever call her by her name. She has about a million nick names. The poor kid will probably be 4 before she figures out what her name is lol. She can tell when we're talking to her and most of the time she will glance at us. If there is something interesting going on she will ignore us though.
....all the time?
....some of the time?
....not yet?

Do they wave hello? No waving yet but she gets really excited to see people so she will flap her arms around and stuff.

Do they wave goodbye? nope

Are they reserved around people other than their parents? No, she loves everyone

Are they social butterflies? Yes! Very much so.

Do they recognize their parents? Yep

Have they become fearful of people they have always know that aren't their parents? No, she is very social. She has no problem being passed around to people she doesn't know.

Do they use any gestures to get what they want? She will lift her arms up when she wants you to pick her up. She also mouths my boobs when she wants to nurse lol.

September 28th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does your child...

Turn toward their name?
....all the time?
....some of the time? Most of the time. Unless she is doing something more important. Then she'll glance at me and go back to what she's doing.
....not yet?

Do they wave hello? Not yet

Do they wave goodbye? Not yet

Are they reserved around people other than their parents? Not at all

Are they social butterflies? Very much so

Do they recognize their parents? Yes. She loves her Mommy!

Have they become fearful of people they have always know that aren't their parents? Nope!

Do they use any gestures to get what they want? She'll reach out for me or for her toys.

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
September 28th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
Does your child...

Turn toward their name?
....all the time?
....some of the time?
....not yet? Not yet. He'll turn to any talking, but he doesn't seem to be responding to his name yet.

Do they wave hello? No, but he claps with pleasure when he sees a parent.

Do they wave goodbye? Occasionally

Are they reserved around people other than their parents? Yes (I love it!)

Are they social butterflies? He will let people talk to him and even occasionally hold him (if they've put a LOT of effort into befriending him), but once he's had enough or if he feels threatened, he will do anything to avoid eye contact.

Do they respond when you make different faces at them? He laughs at faces and has one hilarious face that he makes on his own.

Do they recognize their parents? Yes.

Have they become fearful of people they have always know that aren't their parents? He doesn't want to be separated from me, but he's not afraid of others (yet).

Do they use any gestures to get what they want? He puts his arms up to get picked up, but that's it.

Last edited by Blue-Jay; September 28th, 2012 at 03:53 PM.
October 2nd, 2012, 12:42 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Turn toward their name?
....all the time?
....some of the time?
....not yet? Almost always, unless distracted by something else (usually her big sister)

Do they wave hello? Yes, but not all the time. Usually when she is excited about whoever has just walked in the door (Nana and Daddy are favourites)

Do they wave goodbye? No

Are they reserved around people other than their parents? Yeah, but not as bad as her sister was at this age

Are they social butterflies? Once she gets to know you, yes! LOTS of smiles

Do they respond when you make different faces at them? Definitely.

Do they recognize their parents? Definitely

Have they become fearful of people they have always know that aren't their parents? No

Do they use any gestures to get what they want? She puts her arms in the air when she wants to be picked up, whacks things away with her hands if she doesn't want something, I'm teaching her to say "more please" or just "more" when she wants another bite of food and I THINK she said it yesterday for the first time. She calls mamma mamma mamma when she wants me to come and get her.

She claps hands when I sing an old Dutch action song and there is a bit when I say "Hands up high!" in Dutch and she usually puts her hands up.

October 3rd, 2012, 12:29 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Wow! Lucy is ahead! =D I bet that is so cute. I am still trying to get Winter to clap her hands when she's happy and she knows it. lol

October 3rd, 2012, 04:30 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
haha I wouldn't say 'ahead' It is cute watching them learn new little things huh

October 3rd, 2012, 04:34 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Just making motions when you say something, I mean. That's really smart to put her hands up and possibly having a new word. I knew a little girl that put her hands up at Hallelujah, but that started around 8.5-9 months.

November 4th, 2012, 09:21 PM
.:Kati:.'s Avatar kyler's mommy
Does your child...

Turn toward their name?
....all the time? Everytime!
....some of the time?
....not yet?

Do they wave hello? No.

Do they wave goodbye? yes.

Are they reserved around people other than their parents? no

Are they social butterflies? He loves everyone.

Do they respond when you make different faces at them? yes

Do they recognize their parents? yes he knows who mommy and daddy are.

Have they become fearful of people they have always know that aren't their parents? no

Do they use any gestures to get what they want?
Yes,when he's hungry he looks at me and puckers his lips.
If he wants to be held he lifts his arms up.
He grabs at toys he wants to play with.

November 5th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Does your child...

Turn toward their name?
....all the time?
....some of the time?
....not yet?

If there aren't any distractions, yes. I something else is going on it's hit or miss

Do they wave hello?No

Do they wave goodbye?no

Are they reserved around people other than their parents?It depends, some days she is some days she isn't

Are they social butterflies?Sometimes, but she has to warm to to other people first

Do they respond when you make different faces at them?yes, she mimics faces and sounds. My nephew taught her how to make car sounds

Do they recognize their parents?Yes

Have they become fearful of people they have always know that aren't their parents?I wouldn't say fearful, but more reserved.

Do they use any gestures to get what they want?Not really. She does mouth my chest when she wants to nurse though

November 7th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Bella11356's Avatar Super Mommy
Does your child...

Turn toward their name?
....all the time?
....some of the time?
....not yet?

99% of the time she will. With distractions I usually just have to say her name more than once

Do they wave hello? yes she usually does this on her own. she even makes this little noise that is the same sorta pitch as when i say hi to her all cute.

Do they wave goodbye? yes when we tell her say bye bye

Are they reserved around people other than their parents? Friends she is, but not family.

Are they social butterflies? Not really...shes pretty reserved

Do they respond when you make different faces at them? yep

Do they recognize their parents? Yep she looks for daddy all the time, wanders through the house in her walking screaming "DADA, DADA" its "mama" when shes sad. She also points and makes noises at the puppies when she wants to see them.

Have they become fearful of people they have always know that aren't their parents? She was like this with my dad for a little bit but not for long

Do they use any gestures to get what they want? Yes, she points, or she just goes and tries to get it herself if shes in the walker.

She claps great, is starting to blow kisses (apparently that is what daddy is teaching her when im gone), and she plays a mean game of peek-a-boo. but we dont call it peek-a-boo we call it "wheres holland?" and when she uncovers her face we go "there she is!!" and she loooves it. she starts doing it with anything she can grab and cover her eyes with. Her books, her bottle, her bib...anything lol Oh and she just started "dancing" she bounces up and down to any music that comes on the tv no matter what it is or what she is doing lol.

She is still a terror during diaper changes, toward the end of meals, and when she is in the carseat. The car seat is the worst. It's all out screaming and crying so bad she starts to make her self sick. I usually have to stop and pull over a time or two where ever we go. And she'll have every toy and book and everything in the world in her lap to play with. She just hates it...Hopefully this will end soon. She does understand "no" and when i shoo her out of the bathroom while she in her walker... she throws a fit as she walks somewhere else.

sorry, lol i added on a novel at the end!

November 19th, 2012, 12:48 PM
RandE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does your child...

Turn toward their name?
....all the time?
....some of the time?
....not yet?

Do they wave hello? no

Do they wave goodbye? no

Do they wave randomly for no apparent reason minutes after you've asked them to? Yes. HAHA

Are they reserved around people other than their parents? For a while. It takes him a while to warm up to new people.

Are they social butterflies? Not really.

Do they respond when you make different faces at them? Yes. Laughs a lot.

Do they recognize their parents? Oh yes.

Have they become fearful of people they have always know that aren't their parents? MM sort of. People that he's known since birth but doesn't see very often make him nervous.

Do they use any gestures to get what they want? Does crying count? haha. seriously. he reaches to grab something and when he can't reach it he throws a fit. stomping his feet and crying. haha

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search