Insensitive Comments

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nina9809

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2012, 10:34 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Somebody at work said "Oh look! You're big enough to be waddling!" to me today. I know he didn't mean to be insensitive (he's just a nice old man), but it still hurt my feelings Especially since I don't think I'm waddling! Arg! I think everyone needs to go through pregnant woman sensitivity training so they don't make stupid comments.

What insensitive comments have you received?

October 2nd, 2012, 10:36 AM
mlc52811's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i've gotten waddling comments before, and various "you're so big!" and "you're so tiny!" comments. I've just been letting them roll off my back though. I try to joke about it in the moment! People never know what to say to pregnant women... haha

October 2nd, 2012, 10:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The worst were when multiple people told me they just "couldn't picture me as a mom to a little girl". It made me super insecure for awhile. But then I just realized that people are ********. LOL.

Daffney

October 2nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think my least favorite comment was DH's aunt, who said to me, "Oh not another Christmas baby!" when we told them that we were due in December.

It sounds crude, but I just wanted to smack her. And what I really wanted to say to her was, "Well, after the pain and loss of my recent miscarriage...I was just happy to get pregnant with a healthy baby again." But instead...I toned it down and said, "Well, we've been trying for awhile, so I'm just happy to be pregnant."

Grr...still makes me angry.

October 2nd, 2012, 11:08 AM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
Well I am actually waddling sometimes so Im shocked no one has said anything yet!

My father in law said it must be a boy b/c of how I look from behind. Thanks a lot ***!

October 2nd, 2012, 11:09 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Ugh, how annoying. I agree that people definitely need pregnancy sensitivity training.

I think I've lucked out and really haven't received many comments either way. I've had a few more lately but they're usually just when are you due and if anyone comments on my size it's more that I'm still so tiny, which I definitely don't feel tiny, but whatever.

October 2nd, 2012, 11:17 AM
Nervous Newbie's Avatar Super Mommy
"Dude you got fat"

Yes those exact words from DH's niece. Ya think ok it's a kid they don't know any better, no she is 20 years old and even though I laughed it off it still really hurt.
October 2nd, 2012, 12:41 PM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlowesMum View Post
I think my least favorite comment was DH's aunt, who said to me, "Oh not another Christmas baby!" when we told them that we were due in December.

It sounds crude, but I just wanted to smack her. And what I really wanted to say to her was, "Well, after the pain and loss of my recent miscarriage...I was just happy to get pregnant with a healthy baby again." But instead...I toned it down and said, "Well, we've been trying for awhile, so I'm just happy to be pregnant."

Grr...still makes me angry.
I hate the "oh... a Christmas baby" comments too! I feel like saying "oh, well next time I'll consult you about potential due dates before I conceive." It also frustrates me because my birthday is 2 days after Christmas, and I honestly never felt gypped or was upset that I am a Christmas baby. When we told his aunt, her first comment was "Well the baby couldn't come at a worse time, huh?" God is giving us an amazing blessing, and that's what you say?!?!?!

/rant

October 2nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow your huge... Like I didn't notice I can't see my feet anymore.

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

October 2nd, 2012, 02:53 PM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm just not a sensitive person so no comments have bothered me in the slightest. I have had a few Christmas baby ones and even some waddling ones. I don't mind at all!
dickersons09 likes this.

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!
October 2nd, 2012, 03:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The only thing that has really bothered me was when someone I work with occasionally asked me last week if I was pregnant. I think it's pretty obvious at this point and there are notices all over the break room for my shower. But I think mostly I just was uber sensitive and thought for the rest of the day that I must still just look fat! Of course she redeemed herself a little when she said that she had a high chair she wanted to give me!

October 2nd, 2012, 04:39 PM
dickersons09's Avatar Expecting #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina9809 View Post
I'm just not a sensitive person so no comments have bothered me in the slightest. I have had a few Christmas baby ones and even some waddling ones. I don't mind at all!
I agree, the comments don't bother me and never have. I don't care - I knew I wasn't gonna stay tiny when I got prego and I knew I'd eventually start "waddling"! It's all part of the wonderful process and if people think they need to point it out like its not obvious - so be it!
October 2nd, 2012, 04:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Im sure Ive gotten comments that might bother other women, but honestly, they just dont bother me. I love all the attention while pregnant!!! LOL Once the baby comes... Well, you dont get any, the baby gets it all. I like it when people comment about my belly. It's pretty much the only thing I like about being prego, the huuuuge belly! But only because it means my little person is growing in there!

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

October 2nd, 2012, 05:46 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For me it's mostly comments about feeling sorry for me for having twins... I've learned to tell them we're excited and sounds like a good thing they never had twins! If people give me attitude after that, I have no issue telling them we tried for years with a lot of heartache so again just reiterate how excited we are If I get any other comments I like to do the "what, are you calling me fat?" People tend not to say anything anymore

Make a pregnancy ticker
October 2nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lol, I've received so many from the old people at work. Called 'broad', 'hefty', 'wide from behind'.

The most recent, 'what's up with her fat pouch? She is getting fat.' (old lady talking to another old lady), oh and the housekeeper laughs at me every day. Telling me how funny I look now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search