Am I the only one...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2012, 12:43 PM
anna.rose's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Who has an OB/ family practitioner? That's who delivered and sees Adalyn and he's also DH and mine's primary care physician. That's how my parents did it when I was born and that's also who will be taking this guy. I just feel like it's a peculiar thing and I'm the odd one out because it seems EVERYONE else is pedi shopping. I think it's just way more convenient. He knows the entire pregnancy history, how labor and delivery went/ will go, and any parental history... and I also don't have to worry about calling a million and one doctors when she's born.

Is this just an abnormal thing or does anyone else go this route as well?

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
October 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
I have honestly never heard of an OB/family practioner before. But that def makes it easier on the patient.

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

October 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just use a family dr for most stuff. I do have a different ob dr but that's just because our family dr doesn't do ob. With dds first dr I just used the one who was on call the day I had her so your not alone.

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

October 2nd, 2012, 12:52 PM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't go this way, but I've seriously thought about switching over!

Sometimes...no, change that...OFTEN it feels like you're just part of a giant cattle herd at the OB's office - and ditto for the pediatrician's office. Heck, I can't even get my kid the FLU vaccine until late October or early November, because my ped doesn't "just do" flu vaccines, they do a massive clinic that you have to sign up for...it's a huge PIA.

If it were up to me, I'd switch over because I have a brand new PCP that I absolutely love...and I know he delivers babies too. It's a full service facility. But DH is a bit more resistant, at least on the ped end. Our pediatrician was actually our ped for both DH and I as well (he was young then)...and he's stuck on him. Lord knows why.

October 2nd, 2012, 12:58 PM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
That's what my mom did with us and what I probably would have done if I had stayed in that town, but once I moved here I started going to this place for gyn exams and then just stayed with her for OB.

October 2nd, 2012, 12:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have before and am not opposed to doing it again. I do see a pediatrician but that's because in the DFW metroplex it's actually kind of difficult to find a gp that will do all of it. Being family practice and delivering babies increases their insurance premiums quite a bit, and their continuting education and depending on the number of ob/gp's in the office it can greatly increase their call time. (Sharing call with 4 other OB's would be doable but being the only doc in your practice that delivers? I wouldn't do it either!). Luckily I have NO problems with my pedi office, I actually like them better. Honestly though, if I had with any kind of ongoing medical issues I would take them to a pediatirican. For example, as a Respiratory Therapist I see a LOT of kids with asthma and a lot of them are being incorrectly managed by family practice docs. I encourage these kid's parents to get them to a pedi or allergist because they have specialized training, years more of training, on this stuff. Kids are not just little adults, and shouldn't be treated like that. However, I had a general practice PA growing up and I loved her!

My grammar is crap today, sorry! And I'm to tired right now to fix it! LOL

Daffney

October 2nd, 2012, 01:08 PM
Hannah's ped is amazing to say the least. She is always there for the kids no matter what.... If you kid is sick, you just call her and she gets you in the same day. I have received calls from her way after hours like 7pm just to check on Hannah. If she wasn;t so dang good I would prob switch, but once you find a ped you love and that loves her job and the kids somuch, you got no choice but to stay

October 2nd, 2012, 01:25 PM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
And see this is exactly the problem that I have with my ped's office - it's not that they do a BAD job, it's just that they don't do a great job either. I feel like a GP could probably do just as good a job.

Plus, my ped's office is so high volume, that you CANNOT get in/out of there under an hour and a half. Heaven forbid you get a sick kid, they'll get you in...but you're going to have to wait in their office for at least 2 hours. It is nice that they have an after hours on call nurse service, but apart from that, I'm just not convinced that ours is any more specialized than a GP.

(I could be biased...they told me earlier in the year that DD had the "non contagious" version of conjunctivitis (pinkeye). Yeah right, I thought, as I came down with the same crap 2 days later. We passed that sucker back and forth for 3 weeks - DESPITE diligent hand washing/house cleansing. )

October 2nd, 2012, 01:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, having a "good" pedi makes a HUGE difference. I've been very very lucky in that regard.

Daffney

October 2nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
Me, my husband, and my daughter all see a family doctor. Pregnancy wise I see the family doctor until I am 34 weeks, then an OBGYN. He delivers and does a 6 week check-up on me.

The only time baby will see a pedi is at the release apt from the hospital right after he is born!
October 2nd, 2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlowesMum View Post
And see this is exactly the problem that I have with my ped's office - it's not that they do a BAD job, it's just that they don't do a great job either. I feel like a GP could probably do just as good a job.

Plus, my ped's office is so high volume, that you CANNOT get in/out of there under an hour and a half. Heaven forbid you get a sick kid, they'll get you in...but you're going to have to wait in their office for at least 2 hours. It is nice that they have an after hours on call nurse service, but apart from that, I'm just not convinced that ours is any more specialized than a GP.

(I could be biased...they told me earlier in the year that DD had the "non contagious" version of conjunctivitis (pinkeye). Yeah right, I thought, as I came down with the same crap 2 days later. We passed that sucker back and forth for 3 weeks - DESPITE diligent hand washing/house cleansing. )
2 hrs.... holy bejezus...... thats insane..... I can call our ped.... it may be 2 hours before her appt... but we can wait at home in bed.... and then we go and get seen.... and I am usually out and headed to the pharmacy within the hour of getting there.....

I cant imagine getting there and then having to wiat 2 hrs..... ugh

on top of that, our peds office has a sick waiting area, and a non sick waiting area... .so you dont have to take your newborn baby or your well child near those that are sick.

I thought that was the norm... but now I just feel so blessed to have found such a great ped.

October 2nd, 2012, 02:21 PM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With Jakob and Jarrett I did. All but one of the drs stopped delivering because malpractice ins was so high amd there was only one OB and I used him for Elijah. When I got pg this time I was seeing a family Dr that delivered but once we moved it changed. I think its more of a small town thing.

October 2nd, 2012, 04:53 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
We are going to do a dedicated ped until around 3 or 4 ish and switch to our family doctor around then.

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search