Water

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 14th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Veteran
So, anyone having the same issues I've been with LO?

We feed her 2oz pureed food (veggie's or fruit mixed with rice or oatmeal) once a day but she absolutely refuses to drink water!!

We've had 3 days this week where she'd wake up screaming bloody murder coz she had gas / constipated.
She chugged 2 oz of prune juice the one time like it was going out of style, the next she wouldn't even touch the bottle. We've tried water, prune juice, apple juice, watered down variations of the 2 juices but nada....

We've been consistent trying to give her water when she eats but she just bites the nipple or the lip of the cup and makes this what I call the growling old man face - cute as a button which doesn't help the cause...

Any ideas?

p/s: I've asked DH to water down the expressed BM but he's against that since that's her main source of food right now.
October 15th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Clutch's Avatar First Timer
Did you try using a slower nipple for the water? Water seems to come out much faster than milk (for us anyway) so DD has a tendency to choke on it. So we've found that using a slower nipple helps her alot.

Also, we've fed DD pureed prunes when she's constipated, and that really helps her alot.
October 15th, 2012, 09:38 AM
pr1madona's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You may want to stop the rice/oatmeal. I've had a couple kids that all the cereal did was constipate them and make them uncomfortable. That being said, I wouldn't worry if she won't drink water. I don't even give water this early. If baby is constipated, I may give a little watered down pear juice, but at this age it's usually hit or miss if they will take it. Mostly I give it for them to practice using a sippy cup.

October 15th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1madona View Post
You may want to stop the rice/oatmeal. I've had a couple kids that all the cereal did was constipate them and make them uncomfortable. That being said, I wouldn't worry if she won't drink water. I don't even give water this early. If baby is constipated, I may give a little watered down pear juice, but at this age it's usually hit or miss if they will take it. Mostly I give it for them to practice using a sippy cup.
Agreed.

October 15th, 2012, 06:07 PM
SingingMama's Avatar So Blessed...
I just saw my pediatrician today for DS's 6 month appt, and she said that water is just for fun right now anyway...I wouldn't worry. As for the cereal thing, do you also mix formula/breastmilk with it? that might be another thing to consider...maybe thinning it out some more withe formula or milk?? Good luck!
October 15th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Veteran
Thanks everyone!

We decided to go with the pureed prunes. We also bought a few mini cans of prune juice just in case, together with some LittleRemedies infant gas drops - can you tell? We're getting ready for a gaspocalypse

We fed her some apples today - seemed to like it fine, so hopefully it translates to some bowel movement / gas tomorrow.

Who knew - my day has been relegated to the conversation of Gas / Poop.... yay!!
October 15th, 2012, 10:34 PM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
I agree with the others. I was actually just researching when its ok to give juice - I have forgotten since we had our son 4 yrs ago lol

I need to get some prune puree or juice to have on hand. Since we started her on baby food she hasn't had runny poop anymore. It is only a matter of time before she gets constipated.

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search