Dinners

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gardenbelle

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Super - Mommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Ok mommies, how do you plan your dinner meals for the week??

I feel like this is a constant struggle for me every night and I need a solution. I either do not have the right ingredients here, or I can't think of anything to make OR (this is a biggie) - I make the SAME old stuff we are all sick of. I feel like it is so hard to cover dinner every night of the week, it really is a challange. I also feel like it is only me that has such difficulty. My life would be so much easier if I could resolve this dilema.
October 17th, 2012, 06:52 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Every Saturday I take out my cookbooks and look on Pintrest, check out the ads to see what's on sale where, plan out my meals for the week, make my grocery list and then go to the grocery store. We also keep supplies for two "emergency" meals that DH can make if I'm too tired or sick to cook. Here's the system I roughly follow each week:

Sunday and Monday- Soup or casserole (I cook a large meal Sunday so I don't have to cook on Monday)
Tuesday- Chicken of some sort
Wednesday- Crockpot meal since we have church
Thursday- Something easy (Mexican, breakfast food, pizza, etc.)
Friday- Pasta
Saturday- Beef of some sort

I don't always follow that schedule, but it's helpful when I'm stuck on what to make. Hope that helps
October 17th, 2012, 08:05 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Every Wednesday (which is double ad day at my local grocery store), I make my menu plan for the week in a spiral notebook. I take out my calendar and also look at the weather forecast so that I can see which days need a crockpot meal, something easy or something grilled.
One the bottom half of that page, I write my grocery list. When I'm ready to go to the grocery store, I rip off the bottom half of the page, leaving the top half with the menu list in the spiral notebook.
I like this method because I can see what I've planned the weeks prior or I can add something to the menu plan a week ahead if I have something frozen that needs to be eaten.
Since I just did the meal plan, I took pics. I love smartphones.

October 17th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok, I just started this a few weeks ago, but it has helped me a LOT.

I made a Word file and used the calendar template. I basically put in the meals for each date on the calendar for the upcoming week (or 2 or 3 weeks). For stuff that I dont cook normally or new things, I just put a hyperlink to the recipe so I could pull it up when I needed to. For times I dont know what to schedule, I just look at the previous weeks and then just copy & paste whatever looks good/cheap/easy/etc. Every meal I make, I try to make enough to last us for at least 2 days, so really I only have to worry about 3 meals a week (we have Little Ceasers pizza night once a week, too ). It's been so easy for me. It also helps me to remember to try things I see that I want to make, like on Pinterest or recipes that friends share.

Other than that, have you tried emealz.com? I used to use it, it's very helpful, too.

Oh, and I only grocery shop once a week. I couldnt handle going in the store more than that with these 2, lol.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

Last edited by hilhillrn; October 17th, 2012 at 08:09 AM.
October 17th, 2012, 08:09 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
Every Saturday I take out my cookbooks and look on Pintrest, check out the ads to see what's on sale where, plan out my meals for the week, make my grocery list and then go to the grocery store. We also keep supplies for two "emergency" meals that DH can make if I'm too tired or sick to cook. Here's the system I roughly follow each week:

Sunday and Monday- Soup or casserole (I cook a large meal Sunday so I don't have to cook on Monday)
Tuesday- Chicken of some sort
Wednesday- Crockpot meal since we have church
Thursday- Something easy (Mexican, breakfast food, pizza, etc.)
Friday- Pasta
Saturday- Beef of some sort

I don't always follow that schedule, but it's helpful when I'm stuck on what to make. Hope that helps
Lucy, your post about having chicken and dumplings a few days ago is why chicken and dumplings is on my menu for this week.
rlh27 likes this.
October 17th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not quite as organzied as the above posters but I do sit down once aweek (depending on my days off) and write out three or four meals after looking on pinterest. I make my list based off of that. It's worked really well so far. We have plenty of leftovers for lunches and days that I work and don't get home until after 7. The whole reason I started doing it was because my grocery bill was out of control and this seems to help a LOT! As far as ideas, I use pinterest a lot.

Daffney

October 17th, 2012, 08:52 AM
The Truth is out There
I sat down a couple of weeks ago and made a list of every meal that every person in this family will definitely eat. Now while I'm waiting for appointments, or if I just have time during the day, I will sit down and make a menu. (I have a copy of the list in my purse for when I'm out)
Then I just have to buy the supplies for those meals. As I'm not in charge of grocery shopping, that's where I hit my roadblock...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search