Birth Control after Delivery

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2012, 08:43 AM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
Since we are all creeping up on our Due Dates.
Has anyone started thinking what they want to do for BC after LO arrives? Or have you already decided?

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy

My Ovulation Chart
October 19th, 2012, 08:45 AM
DawnVH's Avatar Supermom to Sid and Este
we've never done birth control after delivery since we waited so long to have children that we decided to go 1-2-3 kids BAM. Now we've got a decision to make as my husband wants me to get myself fixed after this c section. I'm not sure that's how I want to arrange things yet.......so we'll see how things go.
October 19th, 2012, 08:59 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to do NFP while nursing and if I have any fertile signs, we'll use condoms. After my periods return, I think I might try an IUD? IDK, I am undecided.

October 19th, 2012, 09:19 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm SO up in the air on this...DH is going to get snipped, but he wants to wait like 6 months (!) to do so...just to make sure that everything is kosher with our LO, and to ensure that I don't "change my mind". (Silly men.) We're both agreed that 2 is what makes financial sense for us what with daycare, our kid's 529 plans and our general lifestyle.

So that leaves me with a 6 month period where I'm trying to figure out what to do. I'm just not good enough at keeping track of my cycles to use NFP. I don't want to do depo again because of how long it took to get out of my system last time. (Even though otherwise I loved it.) I hate having a monthly period - but the only pill you can take while BF is a very low dose, so monthly period it is. Grr...
October 19th, 2012, 09:28 AM
mlc52811's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hormonal birth control hates my body so I'm pretty sure I'll be avoiding it. We'll be doing NFP with condoms until we're ready for our next! We're planning on trying for subsequent pregnancies when whatever baby is nursing is almost weaned, and then when we're done, the husband will get snipped.

October 19th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlowesMum View Post
I'm SO up in the air on this...DH is going to get snipped, but he wants to wait like 6 months (!) to do so...just to make sure that everything is kosher with our LO, and to ensure that I don't "change my mind". (Silly men.) We're both agreed that 2 is what makes financial sense for us what with daycare, our kid's 529 plans and our general lifestyle.

So that leaves me with a 6 month period where I'm trying to figure out what to do. I'm just not good enough at keeping track of my cycles to use NFP. I don't want to do depo again because of how long it took to get out of my system last time. (Even though otherwise I loved it.) I hate having a monthly period - but the only pill you can take while BF is a very low dose, so monthly period it is. Grr...
Micranor is the progesterone only bc pill and made my periods very light and only ever 2-3 months.
It's safe to take while bf, you just have to remember to take it at the same time every day.

October 19th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Steve will get snipped when we're done, but for now we'll either go with NTNP or NFP.

October 19th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Regular
We have talked about it jokingly but not serious talk about this. It took almost 4 years for this pregnancy and we want two kids fairly close together then after we have two healthy kids dh will or says he will get snipped.

October 19th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I'm going to try the IUD.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

October 19th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im afraid to try anything hormonal again, we just dont get along. Ive been planning to do NFP and charting but Im also afraid of not having a routine in time and temping being unreliable. Im terrified of getting pregnant right away! I just cant handle adjusting to life with a special needs baby and getting pregnant...

So... I dunno yet. LOL

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
October 19th, 2012, 11:46 AM
FWIW Cassie, I really did like the depo shot when I was in between DD & this one! It was super easy (a shot in the butt cheek every third month), and made it so that I didn't have any periods at all. Plus, it's totally safe while BF. That said, my body DOES take to hormones very well (unlike our other Maggie) - so I usually don't have a hard time adjusting to these things.

My only problem with it is that it did take my body about 6 months to shuck the depo out of my system. I think. (Is there every really any way to know?) I got off depo and got on the pill before we TTC this one, and it took me about 8 months to get pregnant once I stopped the pill - I chalk this up to the depo. But particularly for that first 12 months that you BF (if you go that long), it's a great choice for some moms.

I won't be doing it this time around because of the limited amount of time that I will need BC before the big snip, plus concerns about my age and increased risk for osteoporosis on depo. But then, I'm a lot older than you.

I will definitely look into the micranor, Meghan. Thanks!
October 19th, 2012, 12:36 PM
The Truth is out There
I'm not really sure. I'd like to try the Mirena, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about it. My favorite is Beyaz, but I don't know if that's safe for BF'ing. Plus it's super expensive.

October 19th, 2012, 12:41 PM
anna.rose's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're using the IUD and BFing. DH might get snipped years down the road, but we're not sure if we're done yet.

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
October 19th, 2012, 12:41 PM
** Tay **'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Getting an IUD - and it will have to be before February so its covered w/o a new deductible!

October 19th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ** Tay ** View Post
Getting an IUD - and it will have to be before February so its covered w/o a new deductible!
I know that BC is now one of those things that is supposed to be covered 100% under Obamacare, Tara. Do IUD's not qualify for some reason?
October 19th, 2012, 01:19 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
I plan on BFing but I'm not going to rely on that for a BC method, seen too many pregnancies from BFing mama's.

I want to go with a Mirena IUD. Its long term, since we dont plan on having another LO for several years. Since I am horrible at taking pills (besides got pg on them once before), and then I started having cycle issues on Nuva Ring I just dont want to go back to those.

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy

My Ovulation Chart
October 19th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
maybe going the permanent way
October 19th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ill be BFing. Didnt get my period back until 15 mos postpartum with the girls so I see no reason why it shouldnt happen that way again, lol!! And if God wants to bless us with another one, we have no problem with that.

However, after this baby is a year old, we are going to look into my DH getting a vasectomy. Hormonal BC, IUDs, and I do not get along at all, plus, they're abortifacent and well, we are very very against that. My periods are too irregular (always have been) to use NFP. I dont want to get my tubes tied because Im sure that would mess with my hormones, too. Sooo we may be getting the big V. Not sure. Still praying about it.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)
and NUMBER4! (due 7/4/2015)

October 19th, 2012, 02:11 PM
*treefrog*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH is getting snipped

Our family is complete

October 19th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We've just started talking about this and it's a worry... I can't do hormonal stuff, and other forms just don't seem to work for us - when we got pregnant the first time we were using condoms and sponges AND I'd taken a day after pill!

We don't want to wait too long for our second, but I'd kind of like her to be at least six months before we start again. And I have no idea how my body will react to breastfeeding. So we may just end up saying "let's just see what happens!" and not worry about BC.

When we know we're done, DH will be getting the big V so we don't have to worry about it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search