Anemia?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2012, 11:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Anyone else anemic? What are you doing to try to get your blood levels up?

I remember a few weeks ago my doctor told me to take 3 Flintstones vitamins, so I've been doing that. Im still soooo tired all the time though, and I cant help wondering if it's the anemia still. Anyone taking the Slow-Fe? Does it constipate you? Now that I'm having a homebirth Im trying to stay a little more on top of it than I did last time (I was anemic with Clara, too). Im calling my doctors office tomorrow to see exactly what my numbers are....

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

October 22nd, 2012, 03:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm on slow-fe and yes it does cause constipation..I added total raisin bran in the am and then slow-fe in the afternoon and issue went away. The total gives a little more iron and the bran does the trick..

Someone told me there is a liquid iron that you can get at the health stores that doesn't however my OB likes slow-fe.

October 22nd, 2012, 05:32 AM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My ice craving is back full force and under my eyes looks like someone has beat the crap out of me. I'm also brusing more easily. I have not had my levels checked since the first appt but I'm going to ask the dr to do it today. I have been anemic with all of the other boys so I'm sure its the same this time. I have never found an iron supplement that does not constipate me no matter how much water I drink or fiber I add.

October 22nd, 2012, 06:26 AM
Regular
My dr didnt even mess around and prescribed me iron. I have been anemic since high school though just bad at taking otc meds for it since it never felt to work.
I would ask the dr to re test to see if you levels have gone up any.

October 22nd, 2012, 07:39 AM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
I wasn't anemic at the start but the doctor called me last week to tell me I was now. Evidently I dropped 3 points since the start.

He told me to take Iron supplements (2x the daily dose) and to eat lots of spinach/liver/lean meats, etc.

I thought the Iron would constipate but so far it hasn't been too bad. I think eating a lot of extra spinach and salad is helping offset the pills. My poop is a really odd color though - not sure if thats the spinach or the pills.

I haven't felt any less tired lately though so I dont know if its making a difference.

October 22nd, 2012, 10:05 AM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Here's a good article on heme and non hemi iron sources.

Top Iron Rich Foods: A Complete List

October 22nd, 2012, 12:30 PM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want to share a solution with everyone and I want you all to listen!! There is an iron supplement out there that does not cause constipation AT ALL!! I've been taking it for a couple of months now..... it's called Floradix. It is a liquid iron supplement. Please people, listen to me - you will not regret switching over!

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!
October 22nd, 2012, 05:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, the Flinstones vitamins are now making me puke, too. Man, I just hate how my GI system gets so messed up while pregnant!!!

I got some Slow-Fe today and I was actually able to keep it down! Yay! Hopefully this will help. I have heard of the Floradix, but honestly, it's so super expensive! Especially when you have to take it like 2-3x a day.

I called my doctors office today and she said my Hgb a month ago was 11.1. That's on the low side of normal, so that doesnt concern me. I had an appt with my midwife today and she did my levels again and said it had gone up to 12. So that made me happy. Trying to keep it up with the iron rich foods, I guess...

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

October 22nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
The prescription iron sits A LOT better with me than anything OTC. Mine is only slightly low too, but she gave me a prescription since she said a lot of people tolerate the prescription better than the OTC stuff. She was right I'm also working on eating iron rich foods. It's hard when my list of what DOESN'T make me sick is pretty short.
October 22nd, 2012, 07:37 PM
rucca1002's Avatar Veteran
I was told last appointment that my levels are low and was prescribed an iron supplement. She said especially because I will be having a c-section, she wants to make sure my levels are back up to where they should be before delivery, which is why she prescribed me one rather than just suggesting OTC.

Nicole

Proud mom to Declan (7/2008), Nolan (11/2010) & baby Emmett (12/2012)
October 23rd, 2012, 06:59 AM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Floradix costs about $25 a month. Isn't $25 worth zero side effects and no constipation?

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search