Work

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2012, 11:02 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Anybody else planning on working right up until you go into labor? People keep asking me when I plan on being done, and they act so surprised when I tell them my last day will be when my contractions start. I have a desk job, it's not like I'm running around or lifting heavy stuff, so I don't see what the big deal is. I certainly don't want to be hanging out at home with nothing but Netflix to distract me.
October 22nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
My c-section is scheduled for Dec 6th... so my first day on leave will be Dec 3rd.... I also have a desk job, not to mention most of my instructors take vacation between Thanksgiving and Christmas.... so there was no point on leaving early....

Also I would much rather have that time to spend with Sophia than sitting at home waiting for her to arrive or waiting for the day of my c-section.

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

October 22nd, 2012, 11:12 AM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
If I was working, and had a desk or similar type job, I'd probably work right up to the end.
If I had a physically demanding job, I may stop a bit earlier...

That said, as long as I don't over due it, I will be doing some barn work up untill I can't or go into labor. While I don't get "paid" per say, Steve and I work off board for 4 horses, and so we "owe" my mom $1200 worth a work a month.

October 22nd, 2012, 11:17 AM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have to be on call 24/7 for the next 18 years lol I am a sahm to a 19 month old so I wil be working until I go into labor when my mil will take over for a week.
rlh27 and gardenbelle like this.

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

October 22nd, 2012, 11:28 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
I will try to work up until I go into labour, or Christams break - whatever comes first.

I planned to work the whole time with my last pregnancy (also a desk job) but I couldn't do it. I got a stretch and sweep done on a Tuesday, I worked that day and Wednesday. Had my "bloody show" at work that day (Wednesday) and I just felt sooo awful. I felt like crap and really crampy, with a sore back, sore stomach, sore crotch - everything! I packed up my stuff before I left that day because I knew I was going to have the baby soon.

Had back labour all day Thursday (my one day off haha), and was in the hospital Friday morning by 9. So I ALMOST made it

I assume I will have lots of warning like that again this time (or at least I hope lol) so I will work until I know I should stop.
October 22nd, 2012, 11:52 AM
*treefrog*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I teach and I am on my feet for the majority of the work day. However, I still really feel fine. My back hurts off and on, but its not horrible. I am planning on going out 3 weeks early...BUT that is because I have a lot of sick time that I am not allowed to use after delivery (I can only use 6 weeks for a vaginal or 8 for a section). So hey, might as well use it right? Honestly, I am looking forward to having some alone time with my three year old before the new little one gets here. My older two are in kindergarten and sixth grade, so they will be in school all day.

Our family is complete

October 22nd, 2012, 12:04 PM
mlc52811's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My last day is Halloween. While I only work part time since I work for an after school program, it has just been getting way too hard for me. I have to be on my feet a lot and I feel totally out of control while sitting. Watching other people's kids while pregnant is just NOT my thing, apparently. haha it all works out, too, with buying a house and needing to get everything ready for baby's arrival. If I had a desk job, I'd totally keep working for a lot longer.

October 22nd, 2012, 12:09 PM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also could work right up to when I go into labor - as I have a desk job. But since disability can kick in 4 weeks before..... I think I may as well take it. It is use it or loose it..... so it's not as if I could use it after if I didn't use it before!

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!
October 22nd, 2012, 12:12 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
That was my initial plan so I can save all my time for after Samantha is born but since I will either be induced or having a C-section I decided it would be better to just give them a set date.
And then that way I have a few days before to get the house in as good of an order as I can before it doesnt get touched for several weeks.
AS of now I'm saying Dec 7th is my last day and then most likely will be delivering sometime that next week.

October 22nd, 2012, 12:14 PM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
Ill be working as long as possible as well. Since I'm due on Dec 29 I expect it will be a lot quieter those last few weeks anyway. Don't see the point of leaving early unless I have to.

October 22nd, 2012, 12:24 PM
ash29nc's Avatar Super Mommy
I wrked up untill with my boys, but im takein off at 38 weeks just to.have a few days to finalize.stuff, my babies are usually early plus I have to wrk holidays an havent had a thanksgiving off in 7 years

October 22nd, 2012, 01:21 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a desk job with Jack, but I got so uncomfortable at the end that I'm glad I stopped at 33 weeks. I was mostly working on the computer, but also over the drafting table and my belly was really getting in the way. This time, I'm in the same boat as BlCooper - I'll be working until the end since I'm a SAHM.
rlh27 likes this.
October 22nd, 2012, 01:38 PM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am planning on working right up until my water breaks or my doctor says no more. I need the cash and have done ok so far. I'm on my feet all day though with tons of walking so I may be going sooner than planned.

October 22nd, 2012, 01:41 PM
BlueJayBaby's Avatar Veteran
My initial plan was to work right until the end (also have a desk job) but the closer I get the more I think I want to be off earlier. Especially since it's getting cold out already and I think snow is on it's way earlier than I hoped this year. Ideally I would like a full week at home before she comes so I can make sure things are in order, sleep in and make some meals to freeze, but I think the chances of timing that are pretty slim. I get an entire year off of work so I am thinking I am going to aim for Nov 30th to be my last day and then use some holiday time to try and make up the difference between then and my due date. Worst case scenario is I eat into a week or so of my mat leave, which isn't a biggie.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy
October 22nd, 2012, 03:40 PM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I'm quitting at 35 weeks. I don't want to deal with work at the end and just want to be able to rest and get all the last minute things done.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

October 22nd, 2012, 05:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Girl, I went into labor AT WORK with my first! At 39w 6d! LOL And that was as a nurse on a busy med/surg unit. Sometimes I think, how in the WORLD did I do that?!?

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

October 22nd, 2012, 05:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was planning on working right up until the very end, but because I'm actually resigning my position they needed to get my replacement in and trained earlier. So I'm scheduled to be done November 17 and I'll be 37.5 weeks. If I still feel up to it after that I can work some after that and my leave won't officially start until I quit working completely. But I've decided to leave it up in the air and see how I feel. If being at home and getting stuff done sounds good I'm gonna go that way.

October 22nd, 2012, 06:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My dr said he will induce me at 39, which is Dec 14th and my last scheduled day is dec 13th. Any time I take before she is here is time I lose with her so I am going to work up until she is here. Not gonna lie though, it is HARD. These 12 hour days on feet are getting more and more difficult. This coming week I work tues, thursday, fri and then sun, mon and tues. I had to do that so I could have Halloween off and be off when my sister is here but I am dreading it. After one day I'm usually pretty wiped out so five out of 6 is going to be hard, but oh well. I worked up until the day before with my last one and he was 12 days late, BUT it was a desk job and that is making a difference. I'm kind of hoping all this moving around and not sitting brings her on early!

Daffney

October 22nd, 2012, 06:28 PM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
If I end up being miserable, then I'll leave earlier, but so far I'm doing fine. I just figure it'll be a little more money for us (I'll be staying home when baby gets here) and it'll be a distraction. And actually, my work chair is more comfy than any place in my apartment, so that's another perk I'm glad I'm not the only crazy one, though. I was beginning to think nobody ever does this.
October 22nd, 2012, 07:13 PM
Momma_Mia's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm going to work up to the last week before I'm actually due. Dec 12 is on a Wednesday so I'll work through Friday Dec 7th the week prior. If I do a good job n actually have everything ready before due date I may just keep working til I go into labor but I know me n I am sure ill have a lot of last minute things that I will get to only after I'm done working...so we shall see

Thank you Jaidynsmum

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search