Iugr

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2012, 03:51 AM
Regular
I don't post here often, but I do read the board quite a lot. I know some of you are worried about the size of your baby, or are getting growth scans, so I thought I'd tell my little story.

I'm now 32 weeks, and have an IUGR diagnosis. I also have high blood pressure. At 28 weeks I had my first growth scan, which showed he was small. At 30 weeks he had dropped further on the charts, and by 32 weeks (yesterday) they measured him as being below the 3rd percentile for abdomen and femur. His weight was below the 10th percentile. His head is still big (this is common in IUGR and is referred to as asymmetrical IUGR), measuring around the 20th percentile. He only gained 100 grams in two weeks, which is very little.

From here on out I have to go to the hospital twice weekly for monitoring. I'll have non-stress tests at least once a week and a scan once a week. They're hoping I'll get to 37 or 38 weeks, at which point they'll induce.

I've no idea how big my belly is measuring; they just feel around rather than measuring it. Since I'm getting so many scans, it's kind of irrelevant what the measurement is. At 24 weeks (when I was still seeing the midwives), I was measuring 22 cm. I do have lots of amniotic fluid, so I'm not exactly tiny. I'm also gaining weight at a normal rate, just very little is getting to him. The placenta still looks fine (grade 1) and the blood flow in the umbilical cord is great, so it's probably a problem with the blood vessels on my side.

I do feel guilty about failing my little guy and not giving him the right start, but I know that I didn't do anything wrong. It's still hard, though.

So those are the basics. If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to answer them! I've done tons of research and I'm off work for the duration so I have plenty of time on my hands.
October 23rd, 2012, 06:29 AM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
The pressure we all put on ourselves is too much. Im sure you are doing everything right.

Do you mind if I ask why you started to get growth scans in the first place? I had my 20 week A/S and haven't had another scan since. My doctor says there would be no reason to have any more unless there was an indication of something wrong but I dont see how he would be able to tell how big the baby was in there. My doctor tends to be more hands off than others but Im wondering if I should be pushing for more monitoring.

October 23rd, 2012, 07:38 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry to hear. I can imagine it's pretty stressful for you. So 37/38 weeks is the time that they feel the baby will get more nutrients on the outside than staying inside? My friend's baby had IUGR from a vilamentous (sp?) cord and her baby caught up in growth pretty quickly after birth. She was induced at 38 weeks.
October 23rd, 2012, 07:42 AM
Regular
Good question! If I had been in the U.S., a lot of doctors would have ordered one simply because I had really low PAPP-A at my first trimester screening. But, I don't live in the U.S. and they don't act on those numbers here.

When I was 24 weeks (and still with the midwives) my uterus measured only 22cm. That wasn't enough for concern, but when I went to the OB practice due to my high blood pressure, the doctor felt my uterus and decided it simply felt small. She ordered my first growth scan due to that feeling. If I hadn't felt small or measured small I wouldn't have had another scan either.

I had researched that low PAPP-A, so I'm glad she ordered the scan. I knew I had a 25% chance of developing IUGR, so ultimately it all worked out without me having to push them, which I'm glad about (though of course I'm not glad it developed).

Our neighbors across the street just had an IUGR baby as well, and had a similar experience, though later in the pregnancy. The midwives measured her fundal height as being too small and sent her for growth scans, where they discovered the problem.

Yep, they walk a fine line between lung development and getting the baby growing better on the outside. Most doctors will induce at 37/38 weeks with IUGR. Part of this is due to the fact that IUGR babies have an increased risk of intrauterine death. They've been really clear about making sure I pay attention to his movements and come straight in if I feel any decrease. Luckily, he's a pretty active little boy!
October 23rd, 2012, 07:51 AM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
Thanks for the info. My doctor doesn't really feel my uterus or measure my fundal height. He only touches me briefly when looking for the heartbeat via doppler. Maybe he can tell just by looking at me?

October 24th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Regular
I suppose doctors/midwives with lots of experience are able to tell how things are going without too much messing around. But, I wouldn't really know, since this is my first! One thing that is different with me is that I never saw the same person two times in a row. The midwife practice had 5 midwives that I would rotate through, and the OB practice seems to have an endless supply of doctors, residents, midwives, nurses, etc. Perhaps if you see the same person every time they're better able to judge how you're growing!
October 24th, 2012, 05:14 AM
DawnVH's Avatar Supermom to Sid and Este
My first baby was an IUGR baby. He's still a small boy at almost three years old (23 pounds...but his height is STARTING to catch up but he is a tiny kid that's for sure!) We had no idea he was an IUGR diagnosis as my fundal height checks always measured exactly at the week pregnant I was. I was growing normally so there was no signs of concern. My first ultrasound showed the growth was normal. Same with my second. So somewhere between 2nd and 3rd trimester something happened. There were no infarctions on my placenta but when he was born they did find my umbilical cord was only the diameter of my pinky finger. Sid was born at 37 weeks after a few weeks of preterm labor. Glad he came when he did. He was born at 4# 15 OZ and left the hospital at 4# 6 oz. We only stayed the required 4 days. His lungs were healthy and he was doing well.

Good lucky to any of you that have received this diagnosis!

I am going in for a growth check ultrasound tomorrow to hopefully hear good news on baby #3!
October 24th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Regular
Yep, same here. He was measuring right on target through the 20-week scan (though his femur was a little behind the rest - in retrospect, that may have been the first sign). A large percentage of IUGR babies develop it in the late 2nd/early 3rd trimester because that's when they start to put on the fat and the placenta has to work extra hard to pump the nutrients through. If there's a problem, that's when it starts to show up.

Tags
iugr

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search