Pre-Eclampsia/Hypertension

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2012, 06:54 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
Anyone else dealing with this?

I sporadically lost vision twice in less than 24 hours yesterday, both times in different eyes, and both followed by a slight headache. The first time only lasted 10 minutes so I thought it might just be a fluke, but the second time was more like 45 minutes and scared the crap out of me!

I went to the hospital and my blood pressure was high, so they diagnosed me with migraines caused by high blood pressure, and gave me a prescription to help keep my blood pressure down.

I have had slight protein in my urine each time it was checked, and now with the vision problems and high blood pressure I am on "high alert" for pre-e. I've been told to monitor myself very carefully and if the vision ever gets worse than it was yesterday or if my hands, feet or face suddenly swell to get myself back to the hospital asap.

I haven't been worrying about the baby too much since I still feel him kicking and moving around like usual, but I am scared at the possibility of having to deliver early (I am 31 weeks right now) AND of the health risks not only to baby, but to me, too! I need to be around for this baby and my little girl at home, and I am scared!

Has anyone else been put on blood pressure medication and had a successful, normal, full-term delivery?
October 24th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Regular
I was thisclose to being put on blood pressure medication at my last visit, but they're holding off as long as possible because too much control can cause small babies. With my guy already being IUGR, they don't want to do anything that causes him to be even smaller. So now I just sit with my feet up all day and hope to stay off the medication as long as possible.

I won't be having a normal, full-term delivery no matter what, but you just have to roll with the punches!
October 24th, 2012, 07:39 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So sorry to hear! I developed high BP, protein in the urine and headaches with my first born, but I was 39 1/2 weeks so they just induced. Crystal is dealing with high BP though. I'm so sorry you guys are dealing with this, no fun at all.

October 24th, 2012, 08:03 AM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had Pre-E with all of my boys and was diagnosed with PIH at 17 weeks with this one. It can get bad very quickly but most of the time it is manageable with medication and spending most of your time laying down on your side. Cut out as much sodium as possible from your diet. It can be very hard to do because most packaged meats are full of sodium as a preservative. When you cook don't add any salt at all. Also, drinking 1/2 of your weight in water makes a huge difference because it helps balance what sodium you are taking in. When you wake up you may notice your hands and face are more swollen but it is because the fluid has moved from your legs/feet to other areas of your body. If it has not gone down within 2-3 hours of getting up and moving around I would give them a call. Most drs are overly cautious with high BP but not without good reason. As for the protein in your urine don't worry about traces. When it gets to +3/4 and higher its an indication that its switching over but they still have blood work that gives them a better idea of what is going on. When you go from laying to sitting to standing make sure you take your time! Making sudden movements can make vision changes more severe. Also, expect some minor vision changes to remain until a few weeks after delivery. When there is swelling in the body it puts pressure on the nerves behind the eyes and can also change the contour of the eye which can result in vision changes.

October 24th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yikes! Pre e is nothing to mess around with but also easily managed. Crystal has tons of expereince and lots of advice to offer. Try not to stress to much as that can make it worse (so much easier said than done)

Daffney

October 24th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Regular
They've actually done studies recently that say you shouldn't cut out most sodium from your diet - it can be detrimental for pregnant women. That used to be the recommendation, but it has since changed. They say you should continue to eat sodium in moderation. I double checked this with my OB, as well as having read the studies (they're fairly recent). The only sodium restriction that can help is if you reduce your consumption before getting pregnant.
October 24th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are you on bed rest at home at all with this news?

Make a pregnancy ticker
October 24th, 2012, 01:06 PM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
Thanks for all the advice! No bed rest for me... still working 8-5 Monday-Friday and taking care if my 14 month old after that :S DH is very helpful and is making sure I dont overdo it. I see my regular doctor in the morning so I expect more direction on what's going to happen then.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search