US appt update (good news & new bad news)**update w/ HR Dr's rec

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2012, 07:13 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
32 Week US and appt to follow up on low lying placenta and measuring large for dates.
For me I'm fine, my BP's are good still running on the lower end. I am up to 153lbs which I swear their scales must not all be the same because no way I gained 5lbs in 2 weeks.

Good news my placenta is no longer low lying it moved from 2.5cm to 5.6cm away from the cervix so no longer needing to contemplate a C-Section.
Samantha is actually not measuring big at all. She is actually measuring small, at just under 31 weeks instead of 32 weeks. She is only in the 29% She is going to do another growth scan in 3 weeks on Nov 12th. To see if maybe she is just in a lull right now and catches up. She did a BPP which she scored 8/8 after a little bit of time and having to shake her to wake her up so she could see her lungs and respiration's.

Now onto the not horrible but not good news. My placenta looks good and is still Grade 0 with good blood flow but it is showing resistance on the doppler. Which means it is under pressure causing it to have to work harder than it should to function properly. Meaning that it can deteriorate and age faster than it should, possibly causing it to not function and provide the needed nutrients, blood flow, & oxygen to LO as time goes on. She is going to call the high risk, MFM Dr's and get their recommendations for how to proceed then call me. It may mean weekly NST's and additional growth scans for from here on out. She is telling me not to worry because this is not horrible but something we need to keep an eye on to ensure LO is getting what she needs.
Worst case scenario if my placenta deteriorates and LO starts to suffer she would induce me once I get to 37 weeks.

Of course I cant help but worry some but I'm not going to freak out. I trust my DR and she is going to the big guys with how to proceed (nobody better to listen to). I am upset that this means I still am not any closer to answers for possibly delivery and leaving me still a little unknown for when to take off work.
I got a few good 3D pictures, and will post them once I get them in the computer.
(sorry this was so long)

Last edited by taatie10; October 25th, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
October 24th, 2012, 07:18 PM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad your placenta finally decided to move since you didnt really want a c-section the first time around. Hopefully your dr will get some good input from the specalist and it will just require more monitoring.

October 24th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hope all turns out fine. sorry to hear about all the extra stuff to worry about i know that sucks. lots of t&p for you and your little one. kup

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

October 24th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks. I'll let you know when I hear what the HR Dr says.

Here are the best pictures I have.

TyceBrielle and mlc52811 like this.

October 24th, 2012, 08:15 PM
rucca1002's Avatar Veteran
I am glad to hear that your placenta moved but sorry to hear that it is showing early signs of deterioration. Hopefully you will get some answers soon!

It's a good thing you had a low lying placenta to have all of these follow up ultrasounds so the placenta issues could be caught early!!!
taatie10 and MarlowesMum like this.

Nicole

Proud mom to Declan (7/2008), Nolan (11/2010) & baby Emmett (12/2012)
October 24th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad that your placenta has moved and that your doctor seems to be so on top of the whole situation. I'll be praying for you that your next growth scan shows that everything is just perfect!

October 24th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Regular
First of all, congratulations on the cooperative placenta! Always nice when things go right.

Second, was there any disparity between measurements, or was everything sort of around the 29th percentile? That's actually considered totally normal; you're not a huge person, so you're probably going to just have a smaller baby. It has to come out, so smaller is better to my mind! They won't diagnose a problem with size until the size is at least under the 10th percentile, if not smaller, or if there's a big difference in abdomen versus head size.

For reference, we're due the same day. My guy no longer shows up on the charts - he's below 3rd percentile for femur length and belly, and below the 10th percentile for weight. My placenta is grade 1; at grade 0 you're doing great!

It can be scary to see all these numbers, but it sounds like everything is actually going really well.

Good luck!
DawnVH likes this.
October 25th, 2012, 12:37 AM
DawnVH's Avatar Supermom to Sid and Este
I agree! It doesn't sound too bad at all to me as I have also had an IUGR baby (who never made it on the growth charts and is STILL in the 25% at age 3 years old (he's 23 pounds) However, it's great that that caught the deterioration of the placenta as obviously baby wouldn't receive nutrients after 37 weeks if it begins to deteriorate early. Keep in mind....37 weeks will be a full term baby so all babe will need to do out of the womb is grow grow grow (All of my kiddos were born at 37 weeks.....smaller, but one again was IUGR and the second at 5# 8oz but I was a 4 lb baby myself.......) Lungs were all fine on my kiddos.

Will keep you and babe in my thoughts and prayers! Here's to getting this kiddo to full term!
October 25th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Yay for your placenta moving! Sorry to hear about the concerns of it deteriorating, though. Hopefully your next scan will show that everything is ok!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

October 25th, 2012, 05:50 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Okay - so like you said, this is not horrible news, Katie. And ditto Nicole's thoughts: How fortunate that these extra ultrasounds caught the placenta issue! Now that you know - it's just a matter of monitoring. Baby Samantha is sure to be a healthy baby when she comes out.

I've told this story a bunch, but I had to have a whole bunch of extra u/s when I was pregnant with DD because I routinely measured "small". When Marlowe came out at a completely healthy 7#12oz, it prompted my husband to ask if we could have some of our money back. If you're a smaller bodied person - it makes sense that you're not going to have a ginormous baby. And thank goodness for that. My kid is 3, is NOT an IUGR baby, and is still only 25 pounds. Again...small parents sometimes make small kiddos - but they can still be completely healthy.

October 25th, 2012, 07:52 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So awesome to hear about your placenta moving up! Sorry to hear about the concerns of the placenta though but it's great that your will be monitored well from here on out.
About the size, 29% is still pretty average if it makes you feel any better. If I am remembering right, they don't get concerned until <10%. I think a grown woman in the 25% in height is 5'-3" tall? How tall are you and DH?
October 25th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im glad to hear that your placenta has moved and you dont have to schedule a c section. And though its another stress, its great you were able to have the extra monitering that caught the possibility of your placenta issue. On the bright side, its always great to see your LO more often before they arrive

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
October 25th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
Yay your placenta moved! Sorry to hear the concern of it deteriorating, though. Glad that your DR is ontop of it though.... and hopefully there will be better news next u/s.

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

October 25th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Nervous Newbie's Avatar Super Mommy
Yay for placenta moving! Stinks that it is now making you worry. But you appear pretty small yourself, so Sam may just be a petite little lady like you. Just makes sense that I will have the ginormous baby and you have the petite one lol
October 25th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlink View Post
Second, was there any disparity between measurements, or was everything sort of around the 29th percentile?
Yes everything measured between 26-29%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenbelle View Post
So awesome to hear about your placenta moving up! Sorry to hear about the concerns of the placenta though but it's great that your will be monitored well from here on out.
About the size, 29% is still pretty average if it makes you feel any better. If I am remembering right, they don't get concerned until <10%. I think a grown woman in the 25% in height is 5'-3" tall? How tall are you and DH?
DH is 6' and I'm 5'6 so we're really not small people.

You're right IUGR isnt until she is 10% or less. So IUGR doesnt worry me. 29% is on the lower end of normal from what my DR says but it still okay which is why she says not to freak out.
She is more concerned that my placenta is detioriate and cause her growth to stunt as time goes on.
So just anxiously awaiting to hear what the HR guys say.

Ashleigh- very true its nice to get to see her more but just

October 25th, 2012, 12:05 PM
The nurse from my OB called this morning. Barely after 930am and she had spoke with the HR Dr. So happy I didnt have to wait around all day.

He is recommending I start weekly NST's next week, keep my growth scan on Nov 12th. And depending on how those go, I may need to go see him.

So I feel much more at ease that we have a plan and we got it from the real smart guys.

October 25th, 2012, 12:18 PM
*treefrog*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad they have a game plan in place Congrats on the placenta moving up!!! I am sure that was a big relief! KUP on the deteriorating placenta!!!

Our family is complete

October 25th, 2012, 12:22 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by taatie10 View Post
The nurse from my OB called this morning. Barely after 930am and she had spoke with the HR Dr. So happy I didnt have to wait around all day.

He is recommending I start weekly NST's next week, keep my growth scan on Nov 12th. And depending on how those go, I may need to go see him.

So I feel much more at ease that we have a plan and we got it from the real smart guys.
Great that you have a good plan in the works and you are getting good care!
taatie10 likes this.
October 25th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Im glad your placenta moved! Yay!

About the 29% thing, I really wouldnt worry about that at all. She might be a little on the tiny side, but just like outside of the womb, babies and kids are all sorts of sizes. My first is 100%ile in height, my second is 10%ile in height and weight. Also, u/s are notorious for being wrong in terms of baby weight and measurements. They also go through growth spurts in the womb, just like after they are born.

Try not to worry!

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

October 25th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I'm happy we have a plan. I called and got my first NST and then 2 more weeks scheduled. My brain already started the what is they arent reactive thoughts But I'm not going to go there just going to be more diligent about doing the kick counts each day

This is already hard to try to coordinate with work but whatever needs to be done for Samantha I'm gonna do.
I'm sure my boss will understand she's been great so far just hope one of my co-workers will be the same.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search