Christmas Wish List

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 25th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
We had a thread about what we are getting our LOs for Christmas, but what is on YOUR wish list for Christmas?

We set up our family gift exchange recently and so that means I need to start thinking about what I want. I'm kind of at a loss for ideas, so I'm counting on you girls to give me some good ones!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

October 25th, 2012, 01:38 PM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is probably not so helpful to you, Cassie, but my family decided to forgo regular gifts for the adults this year and just do a large family donation to a local food pantry. We did this the last time that my sister came home - and it was a lot of fun to go shopping and make the big "drop off". It may just be a monetary donation this year given my relative new post-baby status around Christmas - but the idea is still good. At this point, no one needs anything, and can I confess that I'm also thrilled to forgo the holiday shopping that would otherwise be required this year? We'll probably still do stocking stuffers, which are a big deal in my family, but those are usually smaller things.

DH and I have decided to give each other a baby for Christmas.
October 25th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Aww I like that idea! And it definitely takes some stress away from figuring out what to get everyone while getting prepared for a new baby. I doubt we could talk my little brothers into agreeing to that idea, though! haha

{Our family blog}

October 25th, 2012, 02:26 PM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
I would be so sad to not do gifts anymore. I guess Im just a materialist *****

What I'd really love (but won't get) would be for some help organizing my closets, etc. I dont really need much purchased but I would find it to be a christmas miracle to open up my closets and they look like martha stewart was there

Im big in photography so my husband might get me another camera or lens. Im sure Ill be using even more now with baby.

October 25th, 2012, 02:50 PM
dickersons09's Avatar Expecting #2
We are 500+ miles from our families so we aren't going to do too much. One gift for Hubby, one gift for me (I told him I wanted a tanning membership or an elliptical) and then we will spoil our boys!
October 25th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Yeah...the whole "no gift" thing clearly doesn't apply to the kiddos in the family. (Of which there is currently only one - lucky Marlowe.)

And we DO get into our stocking stuffers, Stephanie! We can get pretty creative...so it's not like there's NO presents opened on Christmas. Plus, I think I would die without my yearly holiday re-stocking of lipgloss.

To be honest, gift giving has gotten really, really difficult with my parents. They pretty much buy whatever they want - whenever they want it. So coming up with really good gifts for them is virtually impossible. Buying a gift for my sister's husband is difficult in another way as he's really picky about books, music, clothes, etc... My sister is always a breeze, but again she doesn't really NEED anything, so it's always more about fun stuff I just pick out that she doesn't need and subsequently has to haul home to the east coast.

In so many ways...this is is a much better option for my family.
October 25th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
DH and I decided the same as Maggie and her DH...... Our christmas present this year is Sophia.... and honeslty I couldn't imagine a better Christmas present.

I have also told the other adults in my family that I will not be able to afford gifts for them this year since I will have just spent a bunch load of money getting stuff for Sophia....

My shopping list this year is Hannah, Sophia, my parents.... and I think I still might get something for Ryan....

I'm just not sure what yet

Althought, I would really love a massage or mani/pedi gift certificate for Christmas

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

October 25th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Caleb's Mommy!
Since both of our families live out of town, we view them coming to see us and Caleb this Christmas as their gift. DH and I aren't really into gift giving, but I did put in a request for a mini muffin pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlowesMum View Post
And we DO get into our stocking stuffers, Stephanie! We can get pretty creative...so it's not like there's NO presents opened on Christmas. Plus, I think I would die without my yearly holiday re-stocking of lipgloss.
Tell me about it! I don't think I'd survive if I didn't get chapstic in my stocking each year.
Due with baby "Zo" on July 10th

October 25th, 2012, 03:18 PM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
I understand its way easier to not do gifts - totally get that. But there is something about agreeing not to buy gifts that seems to take the joy out of christmas (for me personally - im not saying anyone else should agree with me or feels the way i do). It has nothing to do with needing something - i just find the act of thinking about someone and what they might like as a sweet part of the holiday. And the idea that people that love me are thinking about what i might enjoy makes me happy too. Its not the money - even if the gift was completely free, that is okay too.

Plus as someone who is 35 without kids, Ive heard the suggestion of doing 'just the kids' a few times and find it highly offensive. Oh thanks so much - so I can buy for everyone else call it a day? How sweet of you to make a suggestion. I don't know any other situation when its okay to ask for gifts and never give in return except this one.

I really enjoy buying for kids as well but its not quite the same thing to buy a toy for a 5 year old versus something meaningful for an adult who can appreciate the time and effort that goes into a thoughtful gift. If anyone needs Christmas, its adults (b/c lets face it - its xmas everyday for kids)

And one last thing - I know so many women who agree with their husbands not to do gifts and then a few years later they are *****ing that he never gets them anything. HELLO?? YOU TOLD HIM GIFTS ARENT IMPORTANT TO YOU! HE ISNT A MIND READER. If you really dont care about gifts then you can't be unhappy when they stop coming.

Can you tell this is a sore subject for me? Haha I dont know why but I feel like lots of adults don't find joy in the holidays anymore and its the whole 'lets do what is easier' thought process that puts them in that mood. Sure it might be easier to skip a lot of things in life but its a lot less fun too.

Ok, off my soapbox!

And this goes without saying but donating to charity instead of buying gifts is super altruistic and wonderful of you and your family. I'm sure you find the joy in christmas without the material side of things which is a wonderful thing - you are just better people than me

October 25th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
To be honest I haven't even thought about Christmas this year. I'm so focused on getting Regan here and dealing with all that that I can't quite wrap my mind around there being anything after! We've flat out told everyone not to plan on us for any holidays and we'll play it by ear. I've given myself permission to not do anything I don't feel like! And that includes thinking about what I want!

All that being said... I do have DH's present picked out and a cute little matching jewelry gift for Regan and my niece. And there will be some kind of gift for the kids on DH's side as well. My birthday is the first of December and I've told DH that while I don't expect him to go crazy, I would appreciate some little thought for both the birthday and Christmas that are just for me and not baby related.

October 25th, 2012, 05:16 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, last year we switched to hand made gifts only for anyone but our kids, but this year it turned out to be too much for me. I don't think we'll be purchasing any big gifts for anyone, but we will probably do photos of the children for the family?
As for me...John and I love to give each other useful gifts that we would buy anyway, it's kind of a joke between us. This year, I've asked for a vacuum sealer VacMaster® Pro260 Vacuum Sealer and John has asked for the bag refills.

October 25th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want gift cards with being off work I'd be so happy for grocery store gift cards!!! So I don't have to worry about food and necessities

October 25th, 2012, 08:18 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
Oh gosh I havent even thought about it. Too caught up in getting ready for Samantha to think about it.

I'm gonna say I might ask for gift card to Target to get some nursing bra's. Then of course I'm sure I can come up with some books I'll want. Then maybe a movie or two.

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy

My Ovulation Chart
October 25th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Kelly View Post
I want gift cards with being off work I'd be so happy for grocery store gift cards!!! So I don't have to worry about food and necessities
That's a really great idea... DH's parents usually give us a $500 gift card to Costco so that will come in really handy!

October 25th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We probably wont give each other anything. And our families dont give us anything. My dad might give us some money, but Im sure that will be spent on the girls, lol. This year any Christmas money we do come up with will be most spent with World Vision or something. We plan on buying some pigs or goats for families overseas that need them, print out a picture, then hang it on the tree so the girls can see what we've given. Other than that, they might get a couple things I can find at yardsales lol and I might make them a new dress, but that's about it. I really dont want Christmas to be about material things for them like it was for me growing up.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)
and NUMBER4! (due 7/4/2015)

October 25th, 2012, 10:34 PM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We normally do Christmas with my family on Christmas Eve but I'm not sure what we will do this year. If we made the drive I would either have to drive all of the way back and get home abour 4 in the morning and I don't see that happening. Usually the adults all draw a name with a $30 limit and then we all buy 1 gift for each kid. I don't plan on getting the baby anything. The other 3 have had their list made for months and they want so much. We usually spend about $500 on each kid since the older 2 want electronics but I don't see that happening this year. I don't think I am going to ask DH for anything and what I get him will be small in comparison to most years.

October 26th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Stefanie - I'm with you, as much as I love the idea of not doing gifts and donating to a charity, Christmas just wouldn't be the same without the shopping and gift giving. I absolutely love giving other people gifts and I love blasting Christmas music and gift wrapping and putting them under the tree. So it just wouldn't quite be the same without it.

I also love stocking stuffers! I've already bought a few for Sophia!

So the only thing I know on my list is I want a mother's necklace. I found one on Etsy that I think I'm going to ask DH for.

{Our family blog}

October 26th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Phew...little did I know the Christmas sore spot that I had touched upon for Stephanie!

I don't think that this makes you materialistic or anything like that Stephanie, I completely get where you're at on this. And I think that your friends and family are very lucky to have a person like you - - who so clearly puts a lot of thought into presents - - thinking about them during the holiday season.

I think we can also agree on one other thing: That it's a shame when we do what is easier than taking the time to really explore what makes other people happy. If I'm honest, you're probably right - a lot of the joy HAS been sucked out of the season for me as I make the yearly scramble to try to find the "perfect" gift for a family member, and end up resorting to a new pair of pajamas as I run out of time/ideas. Part of the problem for me is the fact that I live in an area where there are no independent businesses that sell unique gifts. Big box stores are a disaster - and I feel like that whole shopping experience is just me being another cattle in the herd of people looking to spend money on things that nobody really needs, or possibly even wants. And yes...there's always the internets...but again it's about the time that it takes to sit down and think up these gifts.

The best gift that I've given/rec'd in recent history was at last years' Christmas, when I made my sister her first set of "Tragically Yours" cards. She wasn't there, but she opened them on the phone with me, and she laughed and cried the entire time. It was a gift that was completley from the heart, totally handmade and the best thing I've done in a long, long time. She sent a box with an antique toddler peacoat that she had picked up many years ago at an antique store - hoping one day to put her own little girl in it. She sent a card saying that she wanted to make sure that someone had a chance to wear it, and given the recent turn of events, that she could think of nothing better than for my daughter to wear it. I laughed and cried. And then we called each other beeyotches for making each other cry on Christmas.

My point is that you're completely right - it's not about the stuff...it's about the thought. (And FWIW, I would never make the suggestion that we only buy for the kids...that was my 39 y/o - childless - sister's suggestion, or rather her entreaty: "BUT we're STILL buying for Marlowe and the baby!!!" Yes...of course you can still buy for the kiddos.)
October 26th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Also...I didn't mean to hijack your Christmas wish thread with a discussion on the merits of Christmas gift giving, Cassie.

But if I had my druthers, I would really like Season 2 of the Walking Dead on DVD.
October 26th, 2012, 11:49 AM
burnbot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Maggie- you are so funny! lol
I also agree with Stephanie. I am going all out this year for Christmas for many reasons. Last Christmas was awful because I had just lost my mom. I didn't even put up a tree. It turned out that I woke up on Xmas eve and DH had put up a tree while I was asleep. It was sweet but I just felt so empty. But this year we will have Zoey and our house has been all redone so it will be great. I've already decided on one gift for DH but his bday is Xmas eve so I am still working on ideas for that. I'm so excited for the holiday season!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search