Goodies for your nurses?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I've heard of some ladies bringing in homemade cookies or some kind of goodies for their nurses to help get on the good list during the labor/delivery process. Now I'm really thinking about doing this after hearing about some of the horrible nurses some of our ladies have had lately. So, BTDT moms, have you done this before? Do you think it helped? Is anyone else going to bring in a treat?

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

October 26th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
I have never heard of this..... when I had Hannah I didn't do this. It's a nice idea, but not something that should be needed in order for someone to treat another person with respect or kindness.

That being said..... I may have to ponder this a bit further..... maybe I can make some holiday designed candies to hand out.... hmmmmmm (but of course that's only if I get to it.... Sophia is my top priority in that hospital)

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

October 26th, 2012, 06:31 AM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
Im FTM so i dont know if it works but I would like to do the same. Just wondering how practical it is to whip up a batch of cookies while Im in labor. I dont understand the logistics.
taatie10 likes this.

October 26th, 2012, 06:31 AM
ash29nc's Avatar Super Mommy
the nurses change so much ive never dne this but I will make my dr a treat for after delivery, proberly fudge

October 26th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Yeah, it definitely shouldn't be needed to be treated the way any expectant mother in labor should, but I figure it won't hurt to try! I'm not exactly sure how it would work, but I guess you could always make them ahead of time and put them in the freezer and then once the contractions start just set them out to thaw before you head out to the hospital. But I was also thinking I'll be making Christmas cookies during this time anyway, so I could just set some extras to the side for the nurses, so I think I'll probably do that.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

October 26th, 2012, 07:06 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
I'll be bringing some goodies just as a thank you. It's not as a "bribe" to get better service, but a way for me to show appreciation. I plan on bringing enough for 3 rotations. Plus, it's one of the things I plan on doing to distract myself in early labor. I love baking, so it's a win for everybody
Due with #2 on July 10

October 26th, 2012, 07:26 AM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never done it and wont be doing it this time. I did not even get to do anything for my kids Halloween party at school yesterday. If I had a doula or midwife I might would do something for them. Maybe I should have a policy....if I have to push the call button more than once then you don't get a cookie.
MarlowesMum and gardenbelle like this.

October 26th, 2012, 07:34 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like Crystal's idea, haha.
I've never done this either, it never even crossed my mind. I feel like it's their job and a genuine thank you is enough.

October 26th, 2012, 07:35 AM
** Tay **'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had never thought of this either first time around! my dads a nurse and he was there with me- he stopped at the store D brought two big bags of candy ( I had dd just a couple days before Halloween) and kept the bowl at their station filled the whole time we were their- they loved it. I had fantastic care an I wouldn't blame it on giving them lots f candy- but I'm sure it didn't hurt

He said nurses- especially night nurses love a pick me up! I'm almost entirely certain he will be the one to bring goodies this time too

October 26th, 2012, 07:41 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ** Tay ** View Post
I had never thought of this either first time around! my dads a nurse and he was there with me- he stopped at the store D brought two big bags of candy ( I had dd just a couple days before Halloween) and kept the bowl at their station filled the whole time we were their- they loved it. I had fantastic care an I wouldn't blame it on giving them lots f candy- but I'm sure it didn't hurt

He said nurses- especially night nurses love a pick me up! I'm almost entirely certain he will be the one to bring goodies this time too
My mom's a nurse too, and she pretty much says the same thing. Some days they're so crazy busy on their floor they don't even get a lunch break, they just shove something in their mouth while running from one place to another, so it's pretty much the best thing ever when somebody brings them a little something.
** Tay ** likes this.
Due with #2 on July 10

October 26th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's very nice when families bring us treats with a nice thank you card. It goes a long way! I will probably order pizza when I deliver. Only because I know how busy it can be and what not getting a lunch is like. Nothing crazy, I'll probably just order three but it will go a loooong way. Candy and doughnuts are big hits too!

Daffney

October 26th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like the idea of a treat as a thank you, not as a bribe for better care. It all depends on when I actually go into labor. If I have a chance to do the normal Christmas baking, I'll put some aside to bring. Or maybe mix up cookie batter and freeze it to throw in the oven before heading to the hospital. If I dont get that chance, I like Daffneys idea of ordering pizzas!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
October 26th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Seriously, pizza, dougnuts or candy. Really, any kid of junk food It really is nice when families do it and write out nice thank you cards. You would be amazed how many thank you's we don't get.

Daffney

October 26th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My mom is an ICU nurse and they frequently get thank you treats, flowers and notes after the fact. I think it's a really wonderful idea to recognize it if you feel you get exceptional care.

I'm sorry but when I'm in labor the last thing I want to be thinking about is doing something for my caregivers. Going to a midwife I'm paying a ton of money (out of pocket) for her to do her job and I want to be able to focus on my baby and myself at that time. She's also a friend and I'm sure that after the dust settles I'll want to do something to show her and her assistants our appreciation. But beforehand? Not gonna do that to myself.

October 26th, 2012, 11:37 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I'm envisioning another nighttime delivery: What about swinging through the Biggby's and picking up coffee for the nurses? Thumbs up or thumbs down? I want those ladies ALERT!
October 26th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's funny you say that Maggie, we had a family bring us a big ol thing of starbucks coffee this morning and it was awesome! LOL

Daffney

October 26th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, good idea. I've even got a drive through Starbucks 2 blocks away.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
October 26th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As a nurse let me tell you how much we appreciate snacks!! Crazy days are very frequent and that means no lunch. I love the coffee idea! And donuts, pizza, candy are always good choices

Us HCP's are so healthy, lol.

October 26th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
lol Picturing a bunch of ladies in labor baking & going through drive-thrus I am one that has always loved my nurses and they always seem to like us too but they could be good at hiding their true feelings lol I have been known to go back to the hospital and thank and sometimes gift nurses. I'll be there a long time after the c-section compared to vaginal birth so I'm not sure how to gift everyone without breaking the bank. Pizza sounds like a cool idea, never thought of that and it can be delivered so it won't be hard to just make a call. I don't like the bribery factor as they should, and generally will, do their job happily. But a good thank you is never a bad thing.
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

October 26th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Super - Mommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I've never done this and won't be doing it this time. There is too much going on I think to worry about doing this. I feel like it is their job and a thank you is all that is expected. If they were not providing good care they would quickl be leaving my presence. I've always had great experiences with my nurses at the hospital It is a nice thought though, if you are doing it for the right reasons but you should get the best care everytime for every patient.

The nurses work really hard and if you got some good ones then giving them some bake goodies sound good to me!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search