Most Useless Gift

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree35Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Caleb's Mommy!
Aside from duplicates you've received, what was the most useless gift you've gotten for LO?
Due with baby "Zo" on July 10th

November 6th, 2012, 01:16 PM
mlc52811's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my best friend got me a set of really dorky matching stuff... in a style that is completely opposite of my taste (and hers!). now I have a huge bank, snow globe, and picture frame that just came out of no where. I was pretty surprised that the friend who knows me best would have gotten them for me! haha oh well. I'll use them for her!

November 6th, 2012, 02:07 PM
BlueJayBaby's Avatar Veteran
Honestly nothing really stands out as useless to me. I have a need for it all and the clothes are all adorable. If I had to pick one would be a pair of knitted booties that are big enough to fit a 5 year old but I guess they will have use one day as well. lol

Thanks *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy
November 6th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
One of my MIL friends gave me a ridiclous tea pot to make hot chocolate in when the baby is 1) old enough & 2) the first time it snows. So I guess I'm suppose to store this in my NYC apartment for years? And who makes hot chocolate in a tea pot???

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

November 6th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Caleb's Mommy!
I got a very adorable baby Christmas outfit... size 9 months. I guess my friend just didn't look at the size.
** Tay **, hilhillrn and Twist like this.
Due with baby "Zo" on July 10th

November 6th, 2012, 02:59 PM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have to admit...the 9 month old Christmas outfit is pretty funny, but so far the hot chocolate teapot takes the cocoa. Errr....cake.
rucca1002, nina9809, Twist and 2 others like this.
November 6th, 2012, 03:07 PM
that_girl's Avatar Veteran
My DH's uncle sent us a matching top and bottom set with the harley davidson logo printed all over both pieces and a matchbox harley davidson motorcycle toy that Im pretty sure is not recommended for children under 5. We don't own or ride motorcycles at all, in fact no one in our whole close and extended family is into motorcycles accept for this one uncle. It was a little random.
November 6th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Elevin26's Avatar Super Mommy
Size 3T hot pink monkey pajamas Yeah still scratching my head over this one because for 1) size 3T? and 2) we are having a boy. This came from a coworker who sees me everyday and knows the gender so not really sure what to do with it.
Amari, rucca1002, taatie10 and 5 others like this.
Expecting #2 end of July!

November 6th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't get anything useless really, but I very much doubt she will be able to wear all the clothes she has.

Daffney

November 6th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My MIL gave me a white, crocheted, tiny bib... she called it a dress bib. It would barely cover a doll and would be ruined the first time it was actually used. I don't get it...

November 6th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBozeman View Post
My MIL gave me a white, crocheted, tiny bib... she called it a dress bib. It would barely cover a doll and would be ruined the first time it was actually used. I don't get it...
I think it's pretty funny when people try to pass off "I handmade this and only had the attention span/time/skill to make it very small" as "I intentionally made this extra small to fit a Barbie."
nina9809, Twist and MarlowesMum like this.

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

November 6th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
I have not been given one single thing. Don't you all feel bad for b*tching now? lol

As for the Harley stuff, my dad is SO like that. We don't even like Harleys, quite the opposite, and they have given us coolers, made us a clock, etc. and it's ALL Harley! Ugh.
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

November 6th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I feel bad writing this and its not a useless gift, just kind of tacky....

At my playgroups baby shower for me a few weeks ago, one of the moms showed up almost an hour late and tossed a Target bag full of old, worn baby boy sleepers my way, lol! I mean, as yall know, Im all about some used clothes, especially for babies... But at a baby shower? Kinda tacky. (And no, she isn't someone who couldnt afford anything else... Just thought it was weird)
taatie10 and Twist like this.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)
and NUMBER4! (due 7/4/2015)

November 6th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Crystalici0us4's Avatar Aubree Lynn's Mommy<3<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilhillrn View Post
I feel bad writing this and its not a useless gift, just kind of tacky....

At my playgroups baby shower for me a few weeks ago, one of the moms showed up almost an hour late and tossed a Target bag full of old, worn baby boy sleepers my way, lol! I mean, as yall know, Im all about some used clothes, especially for babies... But at a baby shower? Kinda tacky. (And no, she isn't someone who couldnt afford anything else... Just thought it was weird)
Not useless, but I also got a "used" gift at my shower. Mike's cousin & his girlfriend just had a baby in September. She brought a small pack of newborn diapers and a bigger box of newborn diapers that had been opened. What she did was, opened the box, and used like 5 or 6 of the diapers, then added a different kind of newborn diaper to replace the ones that had been taken out, closed the box and taped it up, then gave it to me at my shower lol. I also know that both things of diapers she gave me were actually the diapers she got at her shower, and that her son grew out of them so she regifted them to me lol. I don't mind, they just had a baby so I'm sure they didn't have the money to actually buy me anything, and I could always use the diapers, so it didn't bother me at all. MIL was NOT happy about it tho, because she gave me something that had already been opened. I'm grateful since I didn't get very many diapers, so it helps to have them.
November 6th, 2012, 07:13 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
It falls in the tacky and not useful to me category.
A friend of mine gave me a Baby Carrier. But its one of the real cheap ones, no padded straps pretty much just goes over your head, cant tighten anything to hold the baby snug. It is very uncomfortable, and baby causes it to slide down your front. I dont think it could support a baby without breaking let alone using it until 25lbs.
I told her I needed to return it (kinda fibbed about it being a duplicate) because I was planning to buy the nicer one I want.
Here is the real tacky part. She tells me oh I got it at Ross but I dont have the receipt because I've had it for a year or more, it was just an extra I had

So I go to return it to Ross today, turns out it didnt even come from them.

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy

My Ovulation Chart
November 6th, 2012, 07:32 PM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have not gotten anything for the baby besides stuff we have bought so I don't have any strange/useless gifts. I do remember at my shower for Elijah DH's mom got us used clothes that were all the wrong size for the seasons. She can definately afford to buy nice things. At Jakob's shower someone gave me a bunch of clothes hangers. They were not even the baby size ones it was definately one of those moments that make you go "what the crap" but you have to play nice and say thank you.

November 6th, 2012, 11:35 PM
that_girl's Avatar Veteran
This thread is making me LOL!!! I almost peed myself reading about the hand me down half used taped up box of diapers!
November 7th, 2012, 07:13 AM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
I haven't had my shower yet but based on how my wedding shower went, Im sure Ill have more to add to this one.
Becky_78 likes this.

November 7th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I, thankfully, didn't really get any useless gifts that I can think of, but this thread is cracking me up! Some of these are pretty hilarious. I think so far Julee wins though with her hot pink 3T pj's for her little boy! hehe
** Tay **, Becky_78 and Gripstress like this.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

November 7th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to BabyBird
My biggest annoyance was clothes the wrong size for the season. I can understand from someone who maybe has never had kids but the ones from other moms got me. My MIL bought me a "boutique" outfit from the hospital gift shop. It was hideous but she thought it was "so cute." It was huge for a newborn size and came with a hat that could fit on MY head. Totally useless. She apparently felt like she had to buy SOMETHING and that was the only option so even though it would never be used she still had to spend money on it.

I had an Aunt who got me a fleece blanket at my shower. It was a super thin, scratchy, ugly print and I wanted to take it back. She said she got it at Wal mart so I tried and nope, it didn't come from there. A few weeks later I happened to be at a dollar store and there were the same blankets! Really?! That blanket was so gross I just tossed it in the trash at Walmart when I tried to exchange it there. Then when I found out it was only a buck I didn't feel so bad about tossing it.
Twist likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search