Whooping cough vax

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2012, 03:04 PM
~Landon's Mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not looking for a debate about this, but I'm curious as to if you have/will get the Whooping cough vaccine before your baby is born. Why did you make the decision you did?

Little brother!
November 6th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just recently discovered that I haven't had it. I honestly just figured I had given I've been vaccinated for everything else under the sun, even anthrax. I asked my dr and he said that they will give me the vax in the hospital after she is born. I want it because as a Respiratory Therapist, I get exposed to all that crap. I know there is a huge outbreak of it right now and I just can't take the chance. I guess the baby will get some immunity through my breastmilk.

Daffney

November 6th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had the flu shot a little less than a month ago & asked the doc then. He said he likes to separate the flu shot & tDAP or dTAP (I can never remember which is the one for adults) by at least a month. He said they would give it before I was discharged from NYU or at the first pedi visit if I didn't make it back.

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

November 6th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got it when I got my flu shot last month. Im normally a bit more hesitant when it comes to vax but this baby will have a weaker immune system and my area has had a huge outbreak so there wasnt much of a question for me.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
November 6th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I decided against the whooping cough vax for a couple of reasons, such as the fact that it is a category C, as well as not being able to find overwhelming evidence that cocooning is effective in preventing pertussis in infants. I do plan on limiting the exposure of my baby to large crowds for the first 8 weeks as well, to minimize exposure while she is most vulnerable.
November 6th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Momma_Mia's Avatar Super Mommy
i asked my dr at this weeks appt and she said they would give me the vaccination after delivery but before i am discharged and she recommend DH get it too. i was kinda wanting to get it before delivery so it may pass through to LO but Dr suggested after and i trust her suggestion over what little info I know about it so that is what we will go with

Thank you Jaidynsmum

November 6th, 2012, 07:27 PM
~Landon's Mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor seems to want me to get it before he's born and I'm not sure I'm okay with it. I did have my flu vaccine about a month ago and they said nothing about separating that and the tDAP. It makes sense to separate it to me.

To those of you keeping your baby away from most people. Is your baby due before the holiday, if so, how will you handle that?

Little brother!
November 6th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Momma_Mia's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Landon's Mommy~ View Post
To those of you keeping your baby away from most people. Is your baby due before the holiday, if so, how will you handle that?
thats kind of why i wanted to get it before i deliver. i hate that we are in the cold/flu season. i feel like i should keep him in a bubble. i probably will not go out very much and will likely be very restrictive on who will be handling him rather than just letting him be passed around....with all the germs and funk going around, im not risking it. and for the most part, i would think most people will understand.

Thank you Jaidynsmum

November 6th, 2012, 08:32 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got one when I delivered my daughter in April 2010 and then again a few months later (in a total mommy haze, I forgot that I already got the vaccine at the hospital - not one of my shining moments!). Does anyone know how often you need the tDAP booster? Do I need to get it again?
November 6th, 2012, 10:31 PM
that_girl's Avatar Veteran
I got mine today. Im almost 36 weeks. My doc said it was fine to get at this point, but if I wanted to wait they could give it to me in the hospital after I give birth. I figured why not just get it over with.

DH needs to get one too but he's not insured so I called walgreens and they do it for $63 in case anyone you know needs one. My doc said anyone who is going to be around the baby needs to be up to date on the TDAP.
November 6th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
I got mine last week. They separated it from my flu shot as well because he said they both make you feel a bit cruddy as far as stiffness in the arm so why do them both at once or compound any after affects. I definitely didn't want to risk it and wanted to hopefully pass on some antibodies while she is still in the cocoon I am going to probably be a jerk on holidays and shove hand sanitizer at everyone and try to keep our visits short and keep her away from the younger kids who are in school and such. We will also be requesting that our parents and immediate family get at least the whooping cough, if not a flu shot as well.

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
November 7th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think they are suggesting boosters @ 7 years - although I'm not sure if it's because that is the time frame for the tetnus component or not. The last tetnus vax I received did not have the pertussis vax in it - so I defo need to go.

I am most concerned about RSV after the baby is born. There is no vax for that (and not just because my post doc failed) - I think more so because no one develops lasting immunity. I was reinfected (not intentionally) with the same strain at work almost every two months the entire time I was there. The symptoms for adults is the common cold - but it is awful for development of newborns lungs (especially preemies).

Everyone will have to wash their hands, and then purel, and then wear a maask (ok...maybe that's overkill) - but no one from my RSV lab will be able to hold him for months!!!!

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

Last edited by Becky_78; November 7th, 2012 at 05:54 AM.
November 7th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I will be getting mine at my appointment on Friday. I'm really worried about her being born right in the middle of cold and RSV season and I've heard whooping cough is really bad this year. So I don't want to take any chances and will be getting it, as well as my DH and immediate fam that will be around her a lot.

November 7th, 2012, 08:41 AM
My baby is due 12-12-12, and because I chose to not get Flu or Tdap vax, like I mentioned I do plan on limiting her exposure to large crowds and stores where the likelihood of her catching something or being around unvaccinated people is higher...for the holidays themselves, we only go to my parent's house with my immediate family, and all of my nieces and nephews are vaccinated. I have a couple weeks to change my mind, though, so who knows!
November 7th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_girl View Post
I got mine today. Im almost 36 weeks. My doc said it was fine to get at this point, but if I wanted to wait they could give it to me in the hospital after I give birth. I figured why not just get it over with.

DH needs to get one too but he's not insured so I called walgreens and they do it for $63 in case anyone you know needs one. My doc said anyone who is going to be around the baby needs to be up to date on the TDAP.
Try calling the health department. I know in my area they are offering it cheaper than that.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
November 7th, 2012, 11:26 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
DH and I'll be getting it soon after he's born. I'm concerned about RSV too Last year we had an outbreak so bad half the schools had to close. I'm going to keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in my bag for anybody that wants to hold him.

November 7th, 2012, 12:35 PM
*treefrog*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just asked my OB about it yesterday...he said I will be given it in the hospital. I am definitely going to take it. I have a close friend whose baby almost died last year due to being diagnosed with Pertussis at 6 weeks. The baby was hospitalized for weeks I will be BF, so I hope to pass on immunity to baby.

Mary...I believe the CDC website said that you only need the Tdap booster once (if you've had the DTaP as a child).

Edited to add: I teach in a high school and we've had a few confirmed cases of whooping cough, so that is even more reason for me to get the booster.

Our family is complete

Last edited by *treefrog*; November 7th, 2012 at 01:30 PM.
November 7th, 2012, 01:56 PM
dibbers's Avatar Super Mommy
I got mine today and my flu jab.... they weren't wrong about the stiff arm part!

11/03/12
November 7th, 2012, 02:00 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky_78 View Post
I think they are suggesting boosters @ 7 years - although I'm not sure if it's because that is the time frame for the tetnus component or not. The last tetnus vax I received did not have the pertussis vax in it - so I defo need to go.

I am most concerned about RSV after the baby is born. There is no vax for that (and not just because my post doc failed) - I think more so because no one develops lasting immunity. I was reinfected (not intentionally) with the same strain at work almost every two months the entire time I was there. The symptoms for adults is the common cold - but it is awful for development of newborns lungs (especially preemies).

Everyone will have to wash their hands, and then purel, and then wear a maask (ok...maybe that's overkill) - but no one from my RSV lab will be able to hold him for months!!!!
Thanks for the info on the booster, Becky! Also, I am so afraid of RSV too, I've never had a newborn baby in the Winter before so all this concern is new to me. I decided not to have a meet the baby party after all because of the whooping cough and RSV concerns. It's just not worth the risk.
November 7th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Veteran
I went to the drs today standard prenatal appt, and since both of my children attend school ( elementary and high school, in different towns) i did get the whooping cough vacc, ( does anyone know as i cant remember details from 14 yrs ago) once you have had whooping cough what are the chances to get it again, i swear our ped at the time said once...) and hubby will get it also i did not get the flue shot, last time i got the shot i got the flu lol so skip in that

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search