My breast fed baby will NOT take a bottle from anyone anymore

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By just_em
  • 1 Post By melkissa2004
  • 2 Post By just_em

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2012, 07:18 PM
#NewMommy
Hi ladies,
I haven't been on in forever and I know this is where I will get some helpful answeres. My DD is 6 1/2 months and has been breast and bottle fed since birth. For the past 2 weeks she will not take a bottle from anyone. It is to the point where I CANNOT leave her with anyone because if she starts to get hungry she will cry until I breast feed her. I don't know what to do!! My doctor told me I need to let her cry it out until she takes a bottle I'm so Stressed out about this, I can't leave her at all!!!
Any advice from mother who had this problem or anyone who knew someone who had this problem? This is my first child and I don't want to do anything to upset her.
Thank you so much
November 9th, 2012, 05:54 AM
just_em's Avatar TANSTAAFL!
My first took exactly two bottles his entire life. I feel your frustration!

Can you try starting at the breast and then switching to a bottle? Sort of 'trick' her into it so that the bottle isn't so horrible anymore? I've heard that helps. Since she *used* to take a bottle, is it a problem with the nipple? Maybe go up one 'flow' range?

A lot of babies have separation anxiety at this age; maybe it's less to do with feeding than it is to do with just wanting YOU. If so, it will pass. I promise.

KUP!
vanessa11 likes this.

November 9th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
She won't starve if you need to leave for a couple of hours. You could try offering in a sippy or different bottles or even have them offer solids but don't worry too much. She'll nurse when you get home.
just_em likes this.

November 10th, 2012, 12:51 PM
shanirah's Avatar Mommy Strawberry
Amelia won't take a bottle either, I hear you, I feel like I can't leave her at all. Hang in there, try some of the suggestions the others gave. I have never given Amelia more then 2 bottles her whole life, so I don't have advice but I agree about the separation anxiety, she has it.

“First things first, but not necessarily in that order.” The Doctor

November 15th, 2012, 12:11 PM
just_em's Avatar TANSTAAFL!
I came across this at Breastfeeding for Working Mothers (great site!) and thought it may be helpful.

Bottle Refusal
If your baby is resistant, here are a few tricks to try:

Try different feeding positions - some babies won't take a bottle in the position they are in when they breastfeed. Some babies like to be fed sitting up with their back to the belly of the person doing the feeding.
Try different temperatures - maybe the milk is too warm or too cool - vary the temperature and see if that helps.
Try different nipples. My friend Tracey swears by Dr. Brown's bottle system - her babies had a hard time taking a bottle, and this was the one that worked for them. The Playtex nipples work for a lot of babies, as do the Avent, but really, the best nipple is the one your baby accepts. Don't forget - low flow.
Alternate feeding methods
There's no law that says babies have to be fed from bottles. In fact, avoiding bottles reduces the risk that your baby will learn to prefer the bottle.

From the day they're born, babies are able to drink from a cup - just not like you or I do. Very small babies can lap up milk from a small medicine cup held so that the milk is at the level of their lower lip.
Babies can drink milk from a spoon - just use the spoon to tip a little at a time into their mouths.
A syringe can be used for feeding - no, not a syringe with a needle! Just the plastic part!! Squeeze a little milk at a time into the corner of your baby's mouth, wait for them to swallow, then squeeze in a little more.
An older child's sippy cup can be used - babies usually have better luck with them without the valve - just tip the milk gently into their mouths, letting them suck it out of the cup.
If your baby really, truly won't take milk from any source other than your breast, try not to panic. There are ways to work around this. Most involve some extra work, but all are do-able.

See if you can find a care provider who will bring your baby to you during the day for feedings.
For older babies, usually two good nursing sessions is enough to get through a regular work day.
If your baby is close to six months, you may be able to have your care provider feed enough rice cereal mixed with breastmilk to get through the day.
You may be able to adjust your schedule so that you work two shorter shifts during the day, with enough of a break in the middle to feed your baby.
You may be able to telecommute or work from home for a while.
And even if your baby has vehemently refused a bottle for months, don't stop trying. Babies change all the time, and suddenly, one day, he may decide the bottle is just fine.
TnPhotoMama81 and vanessa11 like this.

November 16th, 2012, 03:28 AM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
I hope the info above helps you! I can't imagine...that would be frustrating! Being a mommy when things "run smoothly" is hard enough!

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search