Let's share our birth plans!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree41Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I totally get it. And everyone on here sounds reasonable. But you have to understand that we just see a lot of people that will throw huge fits with any deviation in the birth plan. Like the IV thing, it's required in case of an emergency, we need access to give drugs. (it's scary to think about, but I'm not talking pitocin here, I'm talking epinephrine if your heart stops kind of stuff). We have women that throw HUGE fits about it. Not to long ago we had a patient who came in laboring but didn't want to have the baby until the next day because being born on the day she went into labor was bad luck, or at least that's what their spiritual advisor told them. Baby ended up having decels and she needed a c section but Dad was so upset he literally ripped the epidural out of her back to stop them from operating until after midnight as per their birth plan. It was insane. I have to ask though, what is the issue with the cord? Is cutting it while pulsating bad? I don't mean to sound stupid, but I've never heard that.

Daffney

November 18th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Super Mommy
I don't really do birth plans. My biggest thing is to have my epi placed before they break my water or start any pitocin. If this birth goes like any of my last 5 births I will be happy.

My current OB has delivered my last 2 babies (had a different OB before him) and has dh cut the cord and puts baby on chest right away. He also knows I have a paralyzed daughter at home that I have to lift so I need to avoid a c-section unless absolutely medically necessary.

November 18th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
Delaying clamping the cord just means that baby gets as much of the nutrients as possible. The placenta provides every essential so many women now want the baby to get every last drop And there's generally no rush so why not. It only takes about 15 minutes after delivery I believe but could be way off
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

Last edited by Gripstress; November 18th, 2012 at 05:50 AM.
November 18th, 2012, 07:08 AM
DawnVH's Avatar Supermom to Sid and Este
My birth plan is as follows:

#1 Go to hospital
#2 Get drugs
#3 Have c section.
#4 Get more drugs

that's about it.
November 18th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Dawn, we should post this as a template for planned c-sections. lol Oh and did I mention I want lots of drugs?
hilhillrn, rlh27, DawnVH and 2 others like this.
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

November 18th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffneyc View Post
I totally get it. And everyone on here sounds reasonable. But you have to understand that we just see a lot of people that will throw huge fits with any deviation in the birth plan. Like the IV thing, it's required in case of an emergency, we need access to give drugs. (it's scary to think about, but I'm not talking pitocin here, I'm talking epinephrine if your heart stops kind of stuff). We have women that throw HUGE fits about it. Not to long ago we had a patient who came in laboring but didn't want to have the baby until the next day because being born on the day she went into labor was bad luck, or at least that's what their spiritual advisor told them. Baby ended up having decels and she needed a c section but Dad was so upset he literally ripped the epidural out of her back to stop them from operating until after midnight as per their birth plan. It was insane. I have to ask though, what is the issue with the cord? Is cutting it while pulsating bad? I don't mean to sound stupid, but I've never heard that.
I dunno, if a woman doesnt want an IV, then dont give her an IV, especially if she is a low risk mama with a low risk pregnancy. As a nurse, I work for the patient, they dont work for me. As long as she understands the risk, I dont see a problem with it.

As for the cord question, there's lots of reasons why.... For one, we all know cord blood is good for babies. Two, the more blood a baby starts out with, the better. The baby is more likely to have higher iron stores for later in the first year when many babies develop anemia. Three, and this isnt practiced by most doctors, unfortunately... But in the case that baby comes out with trouble transitioning from the womb to breathing air, as long as the cord is connected, the baby is perfectly fine, no risk of oxygen deprivation. I read a birth story of a mom that had a home birth where the baby came out not breathing. For 15 mins they tried to work on the baby to get it to breathe, and it finally did... The cord was connected the whole time and the baby was totally fine because of that because it was receiving o2 from the mother.
LindseyF likes this.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

November 18th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenbelle View Post
Yes, check with your doula about the local anesthetic - from what I researched, it can sometimes make you tear when you wouldn't normally tear, but in my case I am throwing in the towel because I kind of expect to tear. Oh, such a lovely thing to look forward to. Thanks for reminding me about the breastfeeding bits. Need to add that!
Oh that is interesting... My doula is also an RN, I'll ask her opinion on this. With Greyson I did tear but just a bit, 2 stitches here, 2 here, 1 here... And I have a feeling this baby is going to stay on the smaller side.

A lot of things I would have on my birth plan are standard at the hospital I will be delivering at. Its appearantly the only 'baby friendly' hospital in the state, so they say. Everyone you may interact with, down the the janitorial staff, have had some training regarding breastfeeding. Crazy, but awesome! So I know that is a priority for them as well. They also dont remove the baby from the delivery room unless there is an emergency. They do all the checks, clean him up, everything, right there in the same room. Then we move to a recovery room together. Im very happy with this hospital so far-they even offer aromatherapy! How cool is that?! Especially for a University, teaching hospital.
gardenbelle likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
November 18th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
repeat csection (no choice) no drugs
gardenbelle likes this.
November 18th, 2012, 08:12 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffneyc View Post
Wow, that couple sounds like a whack job of a couple. I don't think they are a good example of a couple who makes a birth plan for sure. Insane! They sound more like a cautionary tale that drs tell you about what type of people make birth plans to make you feel weird about making one.
I hear you about the IV, but in all reality, when I started hemorrhaging after my firstborn and was rushed to the OR, they didn't even use the IV I already had placed since it wasn't fresh; they started a second IV on my other hand and had it connected in like 15 seconds. That's why I feel like it's a little less imperative to get that IV placed ASAP because I've been in an emergency situation and I saw the way it was handled. I'm ok with the IV though since it sounds like a big deal to the hospital - it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.
As far as the cord blood, I think you have some good info from the other ladies! Kind of off topic, but I read this great book called Birth Day by Mark Sloan over the Summer that talks about the transition from a fetus to a baby that occurs in the first 5 minutes of a person's life. It is fascinating! Because of your profession, I bet you would really find ot interesting.

PS Here's the link to amazon if you are interested in checking it out.
Amazon.com: Birth Day: A Pediatrician Explores the Science, the History, and the Wonder of Childbirth: Mark Sloan: Books
November 18th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I totally want to read it! I know the physiology and all the things that happen anatomically in the first few breaths and that in and off itself, the way things have to coordinate and happen "just so", is amazing. The fact that things don't go exactly the way they are supposed to most of the time is a miracle. The cord blood thing is fascinating. I know all the benefits of cord blood banking and stuff, I guess I just never thought about delaying clamping. Something I'll have to look into.

Maybe the reason I'm so leery of birth plans is because of what I've been exposed to. Now I feel like it's something I want to look into. I mean, if I'm at a delivery it's because it's "high risk" for some reason or another and in those cases birth plans or at least part of them, get thrown out the window. So all I've been exposed to is people who flip out because things aren't going the way they want to. Regardless, this conversation/thread has made me at least want to look into outlining some stuff. Like them not taking the baby. I had asked one of the nursery nurses about it and she said they "only take them for an hour or so" when they are a couple hours old and I told her that I didn't want to do that so maybe having something outlined would be better.

Daffney

November 18th, 2012, 04:46 PM
The Truth is out There
Daffney- that's insane. I can't imagine doing that. If the OB/MW/Nurse tells me my birth plan isn't going to work because of medical issues, I'm going to be disappointed, but say "You're the professional" and move on. I'm not going to be one of those people who forever hate talking about the birth of their child because one little thing didn't happen.
And in all reality, a birth plan IS a little thing, and as long as the baby is alive and healthy, it doesn't matter to me that maybe I ended up having Picotin, or 7 IV's...

But I'm chill, some people aren't

November 19th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I finally typed up our birth plan

Thank you for helping us on the most important day of our lives. We are so grateful for all you are doing for us today.

We would like our birth to proceed as naturally as possible. We understand that sometimes things don't go as planned and if there are any interventions that become necessary or you think would be helpful, please obtain our verbal informed consent before performing any procedures.

We are going to do everything we can to avoid pain meds if everything is normal, therefore please do not offer them. Rebecca understands her options and will request them if necessary.

After birth, we prefer to delay cord clamping until the cord stops pulsating. Joseph would also like to cut the cord.

If our baby is born healthy, we would like for the baby to have at least one hour of uninterrupted skin-to-skin contact with Rebecca, or until the first feeding is accomplished. If the baby is ok, please dry the baby and assess the baby while Rebecca is holding him. Please administer Vitamin K while Rebecca is holding the baby and, if possible, please delay eye ointment and weighing the baby until the first feeding has been accomplished.

In the event that a cesarean birth becomes necessary and our baby is born healthy, we would like Joseph to be skin to skin with the baby while waiting for Rebecca in recovery. It is our heartfelt preference that our baby be with one of us for warmth and bonding, rather than in the nursery if possible.

Thank you again for helping us through this miraculous process. We sincerely appreciate all of your assistance and valuable knowledge.

- Rebecca & Joseph
daffneyc likes this.

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

November 19th, 2012, 09:50 AM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
Much of what is on your birth plans is standard practice at my hospital so Im not too worried about it but Im wondering about the local for tear repair thing. I am under the impression that is standard - have your experiences been different?

November 19th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Not all doctors use local during repairs. If you have the epidural you won't need it but I think it depends on how much needs repairing. If only a stitch or two, they may figure it will hurt as much to get the needle to numb you. I'd prefer numbing regardless but it's a non-issue for me. Just ask ahead at an appointment or in a birth plan so that they know and you won't have to think about that when trying to enjoy your new baby.
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

November 19th, 2012, 11:41 AM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
Is there a birth plan template for people who want the drugs? Ive never seen one but I imagine there must be.

I thought it was standard now but our hospital doesn't take the baby out of your sight unless there is a complication. They do skin to skin right away. They also dont put the baby in the nursery unless you specifically ask for her to be taken there. There is a lactation consultant there everyday and they even have some kind of class you can attend while in the hospital (although I dont see how that works if you are laid up in bed). So it seems unnecessary to specify these things. But I would like to make it clear that I want to be as comfortable and pain free as possible and Im not bothered in the slightest by drugs.

November 19th, 2012, 01:14 PM
The Truth is out There
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBump View Post
Is there a birth plan template for people who want the drugs? Ive never seen one but I imagine there must be.

I thought it was standard now but our hospital doesn't take the baby out of your sight unless there is a complication. They do skin to skin right away. They also dont put the baby in the nursery unless you specifically ask for her to be taken there. There is a lactation consultant there everyday and they even have some kind of class you can attend while in the hospital (although I dont see how that works if you are laid up in bed). So it seems unnecessary to specify these things. But I would like to make it clear that I want to be as comfortable and pain free as possible and Im not bothered in the slightest by drugs.
Our hospitals birth plan packet has drug options in it. It has various options and you just check next to which you'd prefer. (IV, Epi, etc.)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search