Let's share our birth plans!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree41Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2012, 11:40 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has everyone finished their birth plans?
Have you gone over it with your health care provider yet and how did they like it?
Share yours here!

I finished mine a couple weeks ago and my midwife was fine with everything except the IV/hep-lock. Since it's a pretty minor thing in the grand scheme of things, I'll follow the hospital's policy. I'll probably need pitocin after the birth anyway, so it's not too big of a deal.

Labor
No IV unless absolutely necessary (no preemptive IV). Midwife said it's hospital policy
Ability to move around the room and get comfortable even if this means the monitors need to be disconnected for short durations of time. She said 40 minutes off 20 on is pretty standard, but they are flexible
If any decisions are made to augment labor, I want my husband and myself to have full participation in the discussion.
If I have a long labor, feed me or I will sneak in food. She said I can have as much food as I want, as long as I don't mind throwing some up. If I get an epidural, only clear liquids
Birth
NO ONE ANNOUNCE THE SEX! My husband and I would like to discover the baby’s gender on our own and in our own time. She said this will be hard because they all love to do this, but to keep reminding everyone new that comes in the room
Mother directed pushing without time limits as long baby and I are not at risk. No problem
I really do not want an episiotomy and will only agree to this as a very last resort in an emergency situation. She said she's only done 4 in her entire career
I would like local anesthesia to the perineum before the delivery to ease the pain of tearing (as I’ve torn my last two births). Yes
I want the baby placed immediately on my chest after birth and the initial examination to take place while the baby is on my chest. Yes
Afterbirth
Please delay cord cutting until the cord stops pulsing and my husband will cut the cord. Yes
No eye ointment, yes to the vitamin K No problem
If the placenta doesn’t deliver in the allotted amount of time, I would like to be put under immediately for the surgery; I do not want to be awake for it. No problem
After the birth, if possible, I would like an hour alone with my husband and the baby so that we may bond with the baby. If a cesarean section is needed or another surgery, I would like to have that hour as soon as it is medically safe. Yes
We would like our hospital stay to be as brief as possible barring any health issues with the baby or myself. 24 hours is standard for the shortest stay so that they can test the baby's sugar and billirubin levels. If all is going well and I'm really ready to get home, I might get the levels tested at the pediatrician's office but that would mean bringing the baby into that germ cesspool. We'll see.
November 17th, 2012, 11:47 AM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
So the red ones are her answers? That sounds pretty good and complete.

I still havent done one. Dont know if I will.

But I do have some question now that I need to ask my Dr now that you reminded me. The eating or clear liquids thing I want to know. But since I plan on getting an epi I'm sure eating is out for me.

November 17th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yours looks great!

I havent even started this... sigh. I need to though since I have a handful of specifics like stressing the breastfeeding establishment asap, what to do with the placenta, and I think I may use your idea for local anesthesia before pushing. I should have this before I meet with my doula. Man, its creeping up quickly! I have so much to do.
gardenbelle likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
November 17th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We don't really have a written one. Just an understanding with our midwife that we want to be as intervention free as possible. Since we'll be at a freestanding birth center, we don't have to worry about a lot of it. No IV, no constant monitoring, eat and drink whatever I want, etc. We've had some discussions about what we want to have happen if we end up transferring to the hospital, but MW (and/or her assistant) would go with us and be there to advocate so that's not a huge issue either. They're very pro natural, but also believe in letting the docs do what they need to do if necessary.
gardenbelle likes this.

November 17th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
Birth plan:

Get c-section
Get lots of drugs
Stay in hospital as long as possible to get help
Breastfeeding is not optional---NO flippin bottles this time!
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

November 17th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Haven't done one... Not sure if I will or not.
It'll be a homebirth (most likely)and my midwives are pretty up and up on making it all about momma and baby.
I will ask for delayed cord clamping.

If I do end up in the hospital, ill make sure steve knows what is allowed and what isn't.
I'm a pretty stubborn gal, so I don't think I'll have many issues voicing my wants as we go should I need to.

I'm also up for throwing everything out the window if the need arises (in an emergency situation).
gardenbelle likes this.

November 17th, 2012, 12:28 PM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No birth plan for me. If I go into labor on my own I hope I make it in time and if I have the induction make sure I have an epi before the pitocin is started. I don't have a choice when it comes to the iv or walking around since my BP is high. I may be starving but I am fine with no food since I would rather not puke.
gardenbelle likes this.

November 17th, 2012, 01:08 PM
that_girl's Avatar Veteran
Im planning on staying home until I absolutely have to go to L&D. If my water breaks and there's no meconium/staining in it, I will just communicate with L&D over the phone and argue with them to stay home as long as possible. If it breaks and there is meconium/staining in my fluid, then I have no choice but to go in.

#1 No F'ing Pitocin unless medically necessary!! I don't care how long labor takes, Im not in a hurry.

#2 No coaching!! Im stubborn and don't respond well to people yelling "good job" or "you're doing great" in my face.

#3 No telling me "you're almost there" or "just one more push" unless its actually true. Don't lie to me! I'll cut you!! LOL!!

#4 Yes to an epidural if I feel like I need it. I don't expect labor to be "comfortable" but I certainly don't want to be hyperventilating and drifting in and out of consciousness because Im in too much pain (thats what happened the first time).

#5 If I have to have an episiotomy, please nobody tell me. Don't even say the word episiotomy out loud. I had one the first time, so I'll probably need one again. I didn't feel it and it healed pretty quick, but just the thought of it totally freaks me out.

#6 Do not let my husband cut the cord with his hunting knife no matter how much he begs.

#7 Thank God my hospital supports and encourages breastfeeding, because I am determined to exclusively breast feed my baby.

#8 No circumcision. I dont even know if they do this at the hospital after birth or if you have to go back later, but no matter.....we're not doing it. I left this decision up to my husband because he has a penis and I don't. He's perfectly happy being uncircumcised, so we decided to leave the baby's winky alone.

#9 Oh I almost forgot......Please for the love of God will someone give me some anti-nausea medicine!!! I threw up like Linda Blair the first time I was in labor. I little vomit here and there is normal during labor, but I was literally throwing up so much that I couldn't even hold DD when she was born for a long time because I couldn't stop. Im sure this was a side effect of the meds (I have a morphine intolerance and have to have anti-nausea drugs every time I even take a vicodin) so If I need anesthesia, Im gonna need a zofran or something.

Im sure when I go into labor I'll forget all this and just wing it. T-20 days and counting!!!
LindseyF, Becky_78 and gardenbelle like this.
November 17th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My birth plan is have a healthy baby. I'm very superstitious about birth plans because it seems like the moms that are most staunch in it are the ones that end up having to throw it out the window. I'm not trying to insult anyone for the record! It's just not my thing. I'm kind of the opposite of everyone here I feel like. My main thing was will you give me the epidural right away, before the pit and the foley? I don't want to feel contractions or be uncomfortable. I rather enjoyed the 6 hour nap I got when I was laboring with Matthew! I go to an average of 30 deliveries a month and honestly, the only issues I ever see with babies is the ones that mom gets IV narcs before the birth, and even then, they come around. I would prefer to deliver vaginally. I'm not going to lie, c sections scare me to death, but I feel educated enough to know if I'm being rushed into it or not and the reason I chose the doctor I did was because him and his group are very patient and don't do "impatient" c sections.

Oh, and I did say no cheesy coaching. But the nurses know me well enough to know better. I hate that stuff. It just makes me want to punch someone!
BabyBird, taatie10 and caajje6 like this.

Daffney

November 17th, 2012, 02:05 PM
** Tay **'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tweak here and there still- I'm also prepare to completely toss it out the window bc I understand that sometimes things just happen the way they need to, and I won't let myself be upset - my plan went put the window last time for the most part.

1st- I will be waiting as long as possible to go to the hospital this time.

People
✔ I would like my husband to stay with me at all times
✔ I would like to allow other family members or children to visit me in the hospital- though I prefer children to wait until after baby is born
✔ I only want my husband/invited guests, practitioner and nurse in the room (no students or other hospital staff) while I am in active labor/delivering

Photos & Video
✔ I do not want photos or video of labor and birth, but would like a photo of the baby on my chest after delivery

Anesthesia/Pain Relief
✔ Please do not offer pain medication. I will ask for pain medication if I need it.
✔ I would like a low dose epidural (can still feel and possibly walk)- I would like an anti-nausea medication administered with the epidural- lowest dosage with the medicine that has the LEAST DROWSY FORMULA - Zofran over Phenergen!

Tearing & Episiotomy
✔ I would like to avoid an episiotomy as much as possible

Labor
✔ I want to be free to move or walk around
✔ I would like to drink clear fluids instead of being hydrated through an IV

Induction
✔ I would like the amniotic membrane broken before trying other methods to augment labor
✔ I would like to try natural methods of movement/position before using Pitocin

C-Section
✔ I would like to be part of the decision process
✔ I would like my husband in the room if c-section is necessary
✔ I would like the baby given to my husband soon after delivery, if possible

Delivery
✔ I would like to push when I feel like it rather than being coached

Delivery Positions
✔ I would like to try a semi-reclining position
✔ I would like to try a side-lying position

Soon After Delivery
✔ I would like the baby placed on my chest soon after delivery
✔ I would like to delay the baby's eye medication if possible
✔ I would prefer to urinate on my own instead of using a catheter
✔ I do not want to be given Pitocin to help deliver the placenta

Umbilical Cord
✔ I would like my husband to cut the umbilical cord
✔ I would like to allow time for the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is cut so the baby gets all remaining cord blood

Postpartum
✔ I do not want to be separated from my baby during newborn procedures (when possible)
✔ I want my husband to be with the baby if I cannot be there
✔ I would like a cot for my room

Breastfeeding
✔ I plan to breastfeed the baby exclusively
✔ I would like to begin nursing soon after birth
✔ I do not want my baby to be given a pacifier, formula, or sugar water
BlueJayBaby likes this.

Last edited by ** Tay **; November 17th, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
November 17th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Here's mine. I showed it to my OB last week and she was ok with everything other than that I would also need to get a hep-lock.

Oh and at our birth class today she said that we need to get our OB to sign their approval of the birth plan. Has anyone else had to do this? She didn't say anything when I showed her and I would assume if she's had to do that before that she would have, right?

Mother-to-be: Cassie S
Labor support: Andrew S, husband and father-to-be
Physician: Lisa Emm, MD

My goal is to deliver my daughter as safely and naturally as possible without medical interventions. We realize things arise and this plan may not be followed exactly. I understand that final decisions about my care will be discussed and agreed upon in the birthing room with my well-being and the safe delivery of my baby as the most important considerations. Thank you for honoring our wishes.

Labor
• We are preparing to have an unmedicated, vaginal birth and we prefer for our labor to progress as naturally as possible.
• I do not want anesthesia offered during labor, though I would like it available if I request it.
• I wish to be able to move around and change positions, use of shower, birthing ball, etc. at will throughout labor.
• I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
• I plan on staying hydrated with clear liquids by mouth, rather than an IV.
• Please avoid use of urinary catheter unless anesthesia is used and my consent is given.

Contingency Plan
• If cesarean becomes necessary, I would like to be conscious and not have my arms strapped down, my husband would like to be present at all times and we would like to have contact with our baby and have the opportunity to nurse as soon as possible.
• Please use double-layer sutures when repairing my uterus. For future children, I hope to attempt a VBAC and understand this is a requirement for many doctors.

Delivery
• We would like to avoid the use of forceps/vacuum extraction unless absolutely necessary.
• I would prefer to tear naturally rather than have an episiotomy. I would prefer the use of compresses, massage, coaching for slow birth of my baby’s head, and positioning stirrups to avoid the need for episiotomy unless absolutely required for our baby’s safety.
• Please use local anesthesia if repairing is needed
• I would like the cord to pulsate for at least 90 seconds before being cut.
• I would like the opportunity to deliver the placenta naturally.

Baby Care
• I would like immediate skin-to-skin contact and have the option to establish breastfeeding prior to routine baby care.
• We would like to delay eye ointment until I have finished nursing our baby.
• We will be waiting until our pediatrician appointment to give her the Hep B vaccine.
• We would like our baby to remain in the room with us during our stay. If she must be taken for any reason, my husband will accompany her at all times.
• Unless medically necessary, I wish to have no bottles given to my baby.

Above all, we ask for time; time to labor naturally, time to discuss and make important decisions, time to have an enjoyable and memorable birth. Thank you!
hilhillrn likes this.

November 17th, 2012, 03:03 PM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
I don't have one written down because everything I want is either standard procedure (such as immediate skin to skin contact) or it doesn't line up with hospital policy (and none of those things were strong preferences). The only thing we plan on telling them when we get there is to please not suggest pain management to me. If I want it, I'll ask, but I don't want to be offered.
gardenbelle likes this.

November 17th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Super Mommy
My Birth Plan is to HOPEFULLY make it to my scheduled c-section date LOL! If I don't, then the hospital will just do the c-section when I get there. I wish to be awake for the c-section and have my hubby AND mom present during the surgery...oh! and lots of meds
gardenbelle and Gripstress like this.
November 17th, 2012, 04:28 PM
The Truth is out There
Our hospital has a birth plan that they offer, with only things in it that we have control over, so I do have one. It's pretty standard, nothing major.
Our hospital makes every effort to do skin-to-skin the very minute it's possible, so I'm not worried about that. (They're even trying to do that after C-Sections now)
Mine mostly has stuff like-
Don't offer me pain medication
If continuous monitoring is medically indicated, I would prefer to have an ambulatory unit if possible.
I would like to labor out of bed as much as possible.
Don't offer the baby a bottle unless medically indicated
The baby should remain in the room with the mother unless medically indicated
All tests, shots, checking up of the baby should be done by the mother's beside. If this is not possible, I would like either me or my partner to go with the baby.

Then there's some stuff about which techniques would I prefer to use, and should they restrict visitors or not. Also, if it's a boy do we want circumcision.
Since this is a birth plan that the hospital uses, the nurse said there is a better chance that they'll really enforce it. I am going to take it in next Tuesday to discuss with my Midwife. (I've intended to do that for the last two appointments.... Whoops.)
gardenbelle likes this.

November 17th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I dont have a birth plan yet. My MW wants me to make one, but I dont know what she wants in it, lol. I guess in case of a hospital transfer? Ill have to ask her at my next appt next week. Most of the things she does standard is what I want. She delays cord clamping, baby right up on mama and does exam with baby on me, she never takes the baby away from me, etc. I dont think she does the full newborn exam for another hour after birth so we can start BFing. And I reeeeally want to have the baby in the water to decrease tearing so Im hoping that works out.

My MW is pretty hands off during labor from what I hear, so Im having a doula, too. Ahh I just hope everything works out ok!
gardenbelle likes this.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

November 17th, 2012, 06:29 PM
~Landon's Mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here is my quick list:

No use of vacuum, forceps, etc unless medically necessary.
The baby will be placed on my chest upon delivery.
The cord will not be cut until it stops pulsating.
No formula for baby unless medically necessary.
Baby will stay in my room and if needed my husband will accompany him to any tests that are needed.
We will be delaying his Hep B vaccine until his first check up.
gardenbelle likes this.

Little brother!
November 17th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really need to write out my birth plan. Thanks for giving me so many templates to choose from
gardenbelle likes this.

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

November 17th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by taatie10 View Post
But I do have some question now that I need to ask my Dr now that you reminded me. The eating or clear liquids thing I want to know. But since I plan on getting an epi I'm sure eating is out for me.
When I had my epidural with my son, they fed me a big dinner in the hospital before I got it placed. That might be a thought if you are getting induced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Grey View Post
Yours looks great!

I havent even started this... sigh. I need to though since I have a handful of specifics like stressing the breastfeeding establishment asap, what to do with the placenta, and I think I may use your idea for local anesthesia before pushing. I should have this before I meet with my doula. Man, its creeping up quickly! I have so much to do.
Yes, check with your doula about the local anesthetic - from what I researched, it can sometimes make you tear when you wouldn't normally tear, but in my case I am throwing in the towel because I kind of expect to tear. Oh, such a lovely thing to look forward to. Thanks for reminding me about the breastfeeding bits. Need to add that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBozeman View Post
We don't really have a written one. Just an understanding with our midwife that we want to be as intervention free as possible. Since we'll be at a freestanding birth center, we don't have to worry about a lot of it. No IV, no constant monitoring, eat and drink whatever I want, etc. We've had some discussions about what we want to have happen if we end up transferring to the hospital, but MW (and/or her assistant) would go with us and be there to advocate so that's not a huge issue either. They're very pro natural, but also believe in letting the docs do what they need to do if necessary.
I'm so envious of you giving birth in a birthing center; it really sounds like the best of both worlds. If I weren't such a bleeder, I would totally consider it this time.
November 17th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_girl View Post
Im planning on staying home until I absolutely have to go to L&D. If my water breaks and there's no meconium/staining in it, I will just communicate with L&D over the phone and argue with them to stay home as long as possible. If it breaks and there is meconium/staining in my fluid, then I have no choice but to go in.

#1 No F'ing Pitocin unless medically necessary!! I don't care how long labor takes, Im not in a hurry.

#2 No coaching!! Im stubborn and don't respond well to people yelling "good job" or "you're doing great" in my face.

#3 No telling me "you're almost there" or "just one more push" unless its actually true. Don't lie to me! I'll cut you!! LOL!!

#4 Yes to an epidural if I feel like I need it. I don't expect labor to be "comfortable" but I certainly don't want to be hyperventilating and drifting in and out of consciousness because Im in too much pain (thats what happened the first time).

#5 If I have to have an episiotomy, please nobody tell me. Don't even say the word episiotomy out loud. I had one the first time, so I'll probably need one again. I didn't feel it and it healed pretty quick, but just the thought of it totally freaks me out.

#6 Do not let my husband cut the cord with his hunting knife no matter how much he begs.

#7 Thank God my hospital supports and encourages breastfeeding, because I am determined to exclusively breast feed my baby.

#8 No circumcision. I dont even know if they do this at the hospital after birth or if you have to go back later, but no matter.....we're not doing it. I left this decision up to my husband because he has a penis and I don't. He's perfectly happy being uncircumcised, so we decided to leave the baby's winky alone.

#9 Oh I almost forgot......Please for the love of God will someone give me some anti-nausea medicine!!! I threw up like Linda Blair the first time I was in labor. I little vomit here and there is normal during labor, but I was literally throwing up so much that I couldn't even hold DD when she was born for a long time because I couldn't stop. Im sure this was a side effect of the meds (I have a morphine intolerance and have to have anti-nausea drugs every time I even take a vicodin) so If I need anesthesia, Im gonna need a zofran or something.

Im sure when I go into labor I'll forget all this and just wing it. T-20 days and counting!!!
OMG, your birth plan had me cracking up! Love it.
November 17th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffneyc View Post
I'm very superstitious about birth plans because it seems like the moms that are most staunch in it are the ones that end up having to throw it out the window.
I think you might be assuming that birth plans are the mother writing out how the birth WILL go, but I think they are more of a guideline for the drs and nurses so they won't have to ask so many questions while you are trying to concentrate on your labor. When you are panting and screaming during transition, the last thing you want to have to do is answer questions about your wishes or worse - fight for them. No thanks, I'll give them a birth plan so everyone is on the same page (literally) and if things change, that's totally fine, no birth is without some surprises! So far, I've had great luck with the drs sticking to my wishes on my birth plan even with obstacles. Like with my son's delivery, we didn't get that hour of bonding time alone until after I was out of surgery but it was so amazing how the nurses ushered my family out of the room and John, Jack and I were able to have some time together as a new family. I'm so glad I wrote it down so I didn't have to explain to everyone they had to leave while I was feeling so weak and out of it. It probably wouldn't have happened if it weren't in my birth plan.
hilhillrn likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search