Hank Zeppelin birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Jamyandcrew

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Jamyandcrew's Avatar Veteran
I Went in at 40 weeks 4 days for my midwife appointment. I have had great blood pressure at every visit but for some reason, on this day my reading was elevated. The midwife I was seeing that morning was not my normal one and apparently not as concerned with my plans for an all natural intervention free delivery. She immediately started pushing induction immediately. This was extremely upsetting as pitocin was the antithesis to my birth plan. I asked her what process she would use. She said they would first try breaking my water and then see. I asked how long they were willing to let me go after breaking my water before starting pit...3 hours! This was very upsetting as my last labor was 15 hours from the time my water broke and delivery. I asked if once pit was started and laborious established if it could be turned off. No. Wow...I could see my perfect labor and delivery slipping quickly from my grasp. Obviously I wanted another opinion. I mean, all this from one elevated bp? So off to l&d I went to talk to the midwife on call.

Dh met me there and the new midwife basically said the same things. She and the consulting ob both felt it would be better to deliver today. She did make me feel slightly better though explaining that the three hour rule would be more about progress..not just cervical but also strength of contractions. She also agreed that we could use nipple stimulation as the second means of induction at that point before we would talk about pitocin. Dh and I didn't feel there was much else we could do but agree. So, my water was broken at 11am and we were then "on the clock."

We were unable to get a room for nearly two of those hours and instead sat in triage chomping at the bit wanting to get a room so we could walk, bounce on the birthball and anything else we could think of to get this laborious going. It was a very frustrating time. Finally we got into a room around 130pm and immediately began treating this as an athletic event. We must have power walked that floor 500 times! I was not optimistic that an hour later there would be much change so I was surprised to learn my fervid had effaced to 100% from 75% and I wax now a 4 from a "good 3."

That was enough to let me continue for another hour! At each check thereafter, I was making small incremental changes that were enough to not have ti have the pit talk. Fabulous news! At about 330pm I was feeling like it would be a good idea for dh and I to listens to a hypnobirthing track to try to release some of the fear that had accumulated this morning. Somehow, we ended up having the room with no working means to play a Cd! Nothing was going according to plan!

Trying to make the best of it we kept up our regime of walking the halls and coming back to rest and bounce on the birthball. At some point around 430 or 5 I decided to get into the tub and relax. I was nervous this would spread my contractions out but needed to di something relaxing anyway so gave it a try. We watched some Louis ck stand up on my kindle while lounging in the tub. After about 20 minutes, I was really hot and noticed that I was getting annoyed by the stand up during contractions...good sign!

I got out of the tub and from that point on I needed to focus between contractions so I put in my ipod with my hypnobirthing tracks and nature sounds. Things kept picking up gradually from there and I just basically went inside myself to concentrate on each wave. Dh says things were absolutely silent in our room for hours until finally at around 730 pm I suddenly took out my earbuds and announced to everyone in the room that I was done and would not be able to continue. Welcome to transition!

Transition is a weird beast. While the surges are much more intense, there are longer breaks in between and during those times I would joke with dh and the nurses/midwife. This stage seems to take forever while simultaneously seeming to fly by leaving little concept of time. Before I knew it my surges began to have pushing type grunts at the end of them and I was confused because it did not seem like it should be pushing time yet. A check reveals 9.5 but midwife said go ahead and push if my body was telling me to do so. Wow...this is really almost over!?! I was ecstatic.

Crowning was different this time too...I really felt the "ring of fire" you hear so much about. It seems like forever. waiting for a new contraction to come as a baby's head sits inside your vagina. Not sure how many pushes it took but finally the baby is delivered and placed on my chest to wait for the cord to stop pulsing. I looked in between the legs for our long awaited surprise...boy! I knew it! Hank Zeppelin was born at 947pm 11/14/12. He weighed 8lbs 8 oz and was 20.5 inches long. We are so in love. If you made it this far, what I want people to take away from this story is that it is still possible to have the birth of your dreams with few interventions if you ask good questions, choose when to comprimise and do what feels right to you.
November 18th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Glycerin19's Avatar Mindful Mama
Beautiful story! I'm so glad you got the birth that you wanted in the end. Congratulations!!

Mom to Norah (12/5/2012), Stella (5), Elly (7), and Nick (12)

November 18th, 2012, 09:37 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Wow!! Loved reading this! Congrats! And happy birthday Hank

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
November 18th, 2012, 01:41 PM
newserenity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, wonderful story!! Thanks so much for sharing! Congrats on your little boy!

November 25th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your baby boy.

November 26th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What a great story! Congrats

November 26th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Congratulations! I'm glad things worked out so that you didn't have to have the Pit.

November 26th, 2012, 07:00 PM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
great story, congrats!

baby Roger @ 7 months

Tags
arom , hypnobirth , natural birth , past due date , third child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search