suggestions......?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2012, 10:01 AM
Veteran
my husband and i have been struggling financially these past couple of months, he quit a job he never should have even though when we talked about it i told him we couldnt afford for him to quit, hes working part time and i am a paramedical examiner (health exams for people getting life insurance). work has slowed down for me because people are holding off due to holidays, right now we dont have the money to pay rent and im worried about christmas its zaiden's first christmas and i feel destroyed knowing we cant get him much.... after the holidays i have another job lined up and my husband possibly does to, but for now any suggestions on what we can do to make extra cash? and how can i not be so angry with my husband, i feel like he was being selfish and he put our family in such a financial rut right before the holidays
December 2nd, 2012, 10:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry. Do you have any baby clothes that don't fit anymore that you can sell? Books? Miscellaneous items around the house you don't use anymore? You could donate plasma (or blood? in MN they didn't give money for blood but in Germany they do)

Otherwise you could look at getting him second hand gifts...since he's so little he won't know the difference. My sister is wrapping up some toys that her kids have already played with (she's hidden them so they'll forget about them by the holidays, they're 9 months and almost 2). We're not doing a whole lot for Christmas not only because we don't want it to become all about the gifts but also because I figure she'll probably be more into the wrapping paper anyway as she's so young.

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 2nd, 2012, 11:32 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Ditto selling stuff, either on eBay or at a garage sale. It's still in the 70's here so people are still having them. Another thing I think you should check out is Freecycle, an online/local program where people give things away or request things people aren't using in an effort to keep things out of landfills.

Last year I picked a child on there and gave her DDR & the mat, a set of Spiderwick books that save for sitting on my shelf for a year were new, and a couple other toys. I wasn't using the items any more, and I hate throwing yard sales so eventually those things would have been tossed in the trash or a bin at the library.

A lot of people are hurting financially around the holidays, and they request toys in good condition that they know others will be discarding, and many times you'll see messages about people that treat these children in need as Angel Tree children, and they buy Christmas for them. It isn't only for people in need, I also see many people that just don't want to spend on something they can get second hand requesting things. A lot of well off people don't care to make money off things they have and just donate them. It's something to look into.
December 2nd, 2012, 02:31 PM
Veteran
thank you ladies sooo much i can definitely start selling things and that web site ill check out today!!!!!
December 3rd, 2012, 10:33 AM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
Ditto Freecycle; I got a ton of DS's stuff on there, and also donate when I have things I can't use.

As far as your relationship with your DH, I have to say I frequently want to sell mine, too, and see if I can get good cash for him, since usually he's driving me nuts. I decided to focus on the good (gratitude heals the heart) and got myself a notebook and just started writing down the things he does or says that are kind, good, or sweet. It helps me a LOT to stop focusing on how selfish and unhelpful I feel he is and start remembering everything he does that makes my life better and happier.

It's hard, and we're in financial straits, too. I know it's so easy to blame, but I hope you guys can hang in there; it has to get better! Hugs.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search