Professional mamas

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree23Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2012, 12:04 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was a Practical Nurse until we had #3. I worked on the Maternal/Child unit and pediatric home care. For the past 7 years I've been an instructor with the Billings Ovulation Method. If I were to go back to school, I think I'd become a midwife. I don't really plan on that though, I really love being a SAHM. If we can continue to make it work, I'm happy to keep on doing that until they are all grown.
Peytonsmomma likes this.
December 23rd, 2012, 03:08 PM
ellinj0206's Avatar Mom to Alexandra Jane
Send a message via Skype™ to ellinj0206
I am part of the Administration at a college in my area and also an adjunct business professor at the same school. I'll be heading back to work on March 13. Really upset every time I think about it, but the daycare is located on campus so I won't be too far from my little love. I'm nervous about the transition to working mom, even the morning routine makes me nervous! I'm sure it will take a week or so to really fall into a good routine getting out the door in the morning.

December 23rd, 2012, 05:40 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Before I had kids I was a mental health counselor and a psychiatric technician with teenagers in a psych ward. Not so fun. Then I switched to a children's counselor at a domestic violence shelter and loved that so much I started my masters in social work. Got knocked up and have been a stay at home mom since. I would love to finish my masters but I feel a calling to lactation consulting and am looking at some online bachelors degrees in lactation which would let me sit for a International Board Certified Lactation Consultant test. I would love to work in a hospital with new moms and babies. I could see myself doing that until I retire, honestly.
December 23rd, 2012, 08:39 PM
Teeniemama's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm a copywriter in the marketing department for a large financial corporation. ("What's in your wallet?") I also do freelance writing and teach writing at a local university.

December 23rd, 2012, 09:09 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I have a B.M in Music Education and an M.M. in Voice Performance and Pedagogy. When I finished grad school, I was hired full time as a K-6 general music teacher in our local school district. I worked there for three years while also maintaining a private voice studio, then resigned when I had Josiah. I was hired in a neighboring school district when I was 39 weeks pregnant with Josiah to be the K-6 Music teacher for that district's homeschool resource center. It is a classified position instead of certificated, so I receive an hourly wage instead of being salaried, and the experience doesn't count toward additional teacher certification requirements, so I had to let my teaching certificate expire this past June (I have my permanent sub license, and the state will re-instate my teaching certificate for 3 years if I get hired into a certificated position in the future, giving me time to work on my national board cert or pro-cert). I teach a K-2 and a 3-5 grade music class one morning a week, and will return to that job on January 3rd.

I also maintain a private voice studio two evenings a week. I keep between 8 and 12 students in my studio right now, which is about half the number I had before becoming a Mom.

And last but not least, I own a Music Together center, and teach classes one morning a week there.

Down the road, my dream is to have all of my music teaching under one umbrella, and to have building space that I own where I can have a small music school and teach Music Together, Voice, and possibly have some other teachers under me teaching other specialties, maybe even a small retail space. I love that my education allows me to go in so many different directions, and that at different times in our lives, I can tinker with my schedule, and shift my focus more towards one thing or another.

I also love that now that we have kids, I can bring in a decent income working no more than 10 hours a week.
cincy1luv and JillMama like this.

December 23rd, 2012, 10:26 PM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Before I was pregnant I was an assistant manager at a skate shop and worked in the floral dept. at a grocery store. Great benefits, money, and hours!!!! Stupid me quit both of them to move across country with you know who... Yeah, so **** stupid of me. While I was pregnant I was the florist for a few weddings, which I really enjoyed!

Now I am planning on becoming a CNM, although part of me would like to go to cosmetology school because I know it's something I am already good at and I could finish school in about 1/5 the time!!!

December 23rd, 2012, 10:53 PM
Peytonsmomma
Kristen-my so works in a prison with mental health inmates....understand the not so fun part as it wears on him a lot

My dream job would be a labor and delivery nurse but math holds me back in school i dont even know where to begin for school id like to do online schooling if i could
December 24th, 2012, 02:54 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Of I were in the medical field I would 100% work in L&D too .

Leanna, being a cosmetologist is Sooo fun!! I LOVE my job, it's fun on a social, artistic, and personal level. I recommend it. U can do that. Make great $$ and go to nursing school too. You're so young u could absolutely do both. I know lots of girls who went to college while doing hair. U make your own hours and prices!

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
December 24th, 2012, 04:10 AM
cincy1luv's Avatar 1st time mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillMama View Post
I feel like I can hear your accent through your typing. <3 it

I didn't know u did iui to get lil miss Adrianna. My brother and sister in law have don me it a lot with no success glad it worked for you!! One if my girlfriends has twin boys iui babies
Yes, thank god 3rd time was a charm for us! My sister in law had like 7 off them and none worked but her second ivf did! If they are still trying I hope it works! I will be praying for them!! : )
December 24th, 2012, 07:41 AM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
I was a Head Start (preschool) teacher for 4 years. Resigned this past March. We knew I was just going to stay home, so I didnt finish the school year out. I had a challenging class, and being pregnant didnt mix well with it.

Ds1-6/7/2004
Ds2-9/20/2012
*Got my BFP on March 20!!! Woohoo!! Due late Nov. *Thanksgiving baby*

Last edited by jlstebbins; December 25th, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
December 25th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I own and operate a child care center. I offer services to children age 7 months to age 6. I do not accept children who are enrolled in school.

I have been in the ECE field for 24 years. I have a bachelor's degree in earch childhood with a teacher license for birth to grade 3.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search