Weaning

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kellysensei

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 24th, 2012, 08:42 AM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Who else is weaning or has already weaned? I've decided to wean Evan, and I'm a little surprised how emotional I am about it, considering I was so eager to stop breastfeeding for a long time. I think the speed at which weaning has progressed has caught me off guard. It was a 5-week, painful process with DS1 that included lots of Tylenol, ice packs, and cabbage leaves in the bra. This time, it's gone really fast. I stopped pumping on 12/12 then dropped one of three nursing sessions a week later. Friday night was the first time ever that I did not nurse Evan to sleep; Daddy gave him a bottle. Saturday and Sunday, I only nursed Evan in the morning. Today I have not nursed him at all, and my boobs are surprisingly okay.

I thought I'd be nursing another week or so, so I'm sad. I'm torn between nursing him one more time today or just leaving things be because I don't feel a physical need to nurse.

So all in all, the weaning process was less than two weeks. What was everyone else's experience? Were you emotional about quitting, too?

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

December 24th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I decided to continue breastfeeding Winter. I am hoping to go till 2 this time.

When I stopped nursing Alice I was alright. It took a month to do. She was 18 months when I started, and she was only nursing when she awoke and when she went down for the night. I wasn't nursing during the night at all, and I hardly ever comfort nursed. I did sometimes nurse her during naps. I started the first week by dropping anything that wasn't morning and night, just every 12 hours. The second week I dropped the morning feedings, nursed once every 24 hours. The third week I nursed every 36 hours. The forth week was going to be every 48, but I had dried up. She got hurt one day, and I went to nurse her till she was better, and nothing came out. I was glad to be done then. Not ready for Winter Rose to wean yet.
December 25th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I got all emotional yesterday and gave in and nursed Evan even though I wasn't feeling too full. He only nursed for a few minutes so now I've got a clogged duct and I've had to nurse 3x in the last 18 hours to try to get it out. Sigh...I don't feel full, though, just sore from the duct, so I'm going to try to massage it out instead of nursing more frequently. Hoping to stick to 1-2x/day nursing so I can continue to wean.

December 26th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Part of me doesn't like nursing at all so I can understand wanting to wean. lol A friend of mine told me when you have a clog, there is a blister on your nipple. It might be teeny tiny, but if you pop it, the clog will come out. I haven't had a clog in 4 years, and back then I just suffered. Maybe check to see if there is a blister? I hope it comes out soon!
December 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been thinking about the weaning process lately myself. I feel as though my supply has decreased quite a bit but I still would like to make it to a year. Just thinking about it makes me kind of sad even though I've had moments where I've hated it so I definitely understand you there.

December 27th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Working mommy
I have been thinking about it too. With DD I was back at work and that took care of most of my supply. The last feeds to go were before bed. But that was 5 yrs ago and I don't remember actually "doing" anything to wean.

With DS I have already nursed longer than with my first. But I only nurse 3 times a day (and he gets food 3 times a day). He still has bad reflux and is still on medicine. His weight has been falling percentiles but the pediatrician feels like we are still ok. I'm just concerned that my milk isn't enough and maybe a bottle would be better for him. I don't pump much when I do pump but he always seems happy after nursing and not hungry still. BUT he would be sad if we didn't nurse. It makes him so happy. Some days I think it would make me sad to stop. And others I think about having my body COMPLETELY back to myself.

Of course, time is flying. I think I can make it till 1.

December 30th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
Robby went on a "nursing strike" when I got my period back, right before Thanksgiving. I did EVERYTHING that is recommended to make sure he would go back to nursing, but he never did. DH and I were both shocked at my reaction to it; it was an extremely emotional couple of weeks. I felt rejected and angry and devastated -- I thought it was supposed to be hard on him, too!! I finally gave up exclusively pumping this past week, and it was such a relief to be free of the machine, but another emotional hurdle. I just developed two clogged ducts (one on each side), even though it's been over a week since I stopped pumping. I think any way you do it, it's an emotionally difficult thing. Hugs to you!

December 30th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I nursed Evan for the last time on Friday. Emotionally, I'm still a bit of a mess, but physically, the clog a week ago was the only setback and I've hardly had any soreness, to my surprise. Evan sucks down his bottles like a champ now. I'm wearing a regular bra for the first time in 10.5 months today!
Blue-Jay likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search