Cranky babies

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
As Ive said several times before, my second was the fussiest, most horribly colicky baby I've ever come across. Screamed literally 24/7 for 3 months straight. I think I researched and Googled fussy baby issues ad nauseum for weeks. Here are some things you could try that I remember reading about....

- How are her poops looking? Are they still yellow and seedy or are they green and frothy or mucousy? If they are green and frothy, it could mean you have a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance in your milk and that can make them feel sick. If it is green and mucousy, it could mean she has a dairy intolerance. This is probably the most common intolerance in EBF babies, the cure is going dairy free. IT SUCKS. lol But this is actually the source of many EBF babies colic and/or reflux.

- Could be reflux, regardless of whether she spits up or not. Clara ended up having silent reflux. Reflux Rebels infant acid reflux and colic is a great site to help determine if your baby has reflux. Zantac is not the only medicine that can be given to infants. And Zantac is also very weight sensitive so the dosage needs to be upped rather frequently and many people say it doesnt work well. We put Clara on Prevacid and it was a miracle worker.

- Could be gas. There are a couple really good youtube videos on how to really bicycle their legs to get the gas out. B has been gassy just a couple nights but a couple mins of bicycling to get it out helped him feel all better again.

- Check out that Harvey Karp Happiest Baby on the Block. No need to buy the DVD or book, just google it. Lots of youtube videos on his technique, too. The 5 S's are... Shhh (doing it really loudly in their ear), swaddling, shaking (gently, of course), sucking (on a paci, finger, or boob), and swaying. Babies love to be shaked and bounced and moved constantly. Also, babywearing is awesome, our Moby wrap is what kept my sanity with Clara. She would fall asleep instantly in that thing when literally nothing else worked.

- The "witching hour" for babies starts up at about this time. Basically for several hours every night theyll just cry for hours. Doesnt last forever.

- Could be going through a growth spurt. http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurts/

That's all I can think of right now, if I think of anything else Ill be back...
BlueJayBaby likes this.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

December 30th, 2012, 06:23 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
Thanks Hilary, I will google that happiest baby thing.

Yes Dr says she has reflux. Luckily she doesnt spit up much but the crying is horrible. Some times she just looks like she is in pain with her movements. Gas drops seem to help some. Gripe water doesnt seem to do much, she doesnt like the taste of it I dont think and spits most of it back out. The Ped didnt mention anything about Prevacid, she just said Zantac was it so I'm afraid Prevacid would not be an option for her.
Reading a handout Ped gave me on GERD and Reflux, I'm going to try mixing a little cereal with some breastmilk and I dont want to quit nursing her so I'll just give a little to her in a bottle after I nurse her to see if that helps. Its what had to be done for me when I was a baby too. I'm gonna start that tomorrow once I pick up the cereal my mom picked up for me.

Her poops are still yellow & mustardy. They are normally always runny they arent like regular poops.

Yah the witching hour Im beginning to believe in. She is always worst in the evening and night time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search