LO 3 week checkup

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2012, 12:47 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
Samantha had her 3 week check up this morning. It was more like 2 1/2 weeks due to the holidays.
She is now 7lbs 1oz, 19 1/4 in. She has grown 1 1/4 inches since birth and gained 1lb in 2 weeks. Pediatrician is very happy with her weight gain since she had the problem of losing so much initially.

We addressed the issue of her wanting to eat near constantly and her frequent fussiness, the gunky discharge in her left eye, and her stuffy nose.

She has a clogged tear duct in her left eye causing the gunk. She says that will resolve itself.

She did the exam of Samantha and she couldnt even press on her stomach. It was very distended and she screamed when she attempted to push on her tummy. Based on that and my explanations of the issues shes having. Poor LO had GERD.
She says the acid reflux is causing the stuffiness because the reflux can cause milk to partially obstruct air passages. She recommended gas drops, gripe water and setting her crib mattress with an incline. Then if those dont work we can try Zantac which is the only medication okay for infants.
She says she just acts like she wants to eat all the time because that helps to soothe the reflux by pushing the acid back down. She said I can give her a little water if she gets real fussy and then to give her a binki instead of feeding her.
Its nice to know what the problem is but wish I could calm her crying. I hate to hear her so upset and not able to fix it.
We are to try to get her on a schedule of feeding her every 3 hours. Oh that is gonna be so hard sometimes Right now its been an hr and half and she's crying between spitting out her binki. I'm gonna try to get her to 2hrs then feed her.

December 28th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Yay for weight gain!
Hopefully the tummy issues/reflux settles soon.

December 28th, 2012, 02:56 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awesome about the weight gain! Yikes about the 3 hour feeding schedule though, that seems so long for a newborn. I hope it all works well though and she's feeling better soon.
December 28th, 2012, 03:04 PM
*treefrog*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenbelle View Post
Awesome about the weight gain! Yikes about the 3 hour feeding schedule though, that seems so long for a newborn. I hope it all works well though and she's feeling better soon.
Ditto what mary said

Our family is complete

December 28th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenbelle View Post
Yikes about the 3 hour feeding schedule though, that seems so long for a newborn.
I know that what I thought to. She sometimes goes 2 1/2-3 hrs during the day but only if shes sleeping.
At this point I'm gonna be happy with 2hrs when she is awake. We made that mark from noon to 2pm but there was lots of putting the binki back in in the last 45mins to keep her calm.

December 28th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
That's great about the weight gain, but sorry to hear about the acid reflux issues. I hope you can get things figured out soon and that she'll be feeling better!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

December 28th, 2012, 04:14 PM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Poor little girl I hope the acid issue resolves itself soon. Glad she gained a bunch of weight, though!

Caleb had the eye gunk issue too. Somebody suggested rubbing a bit of breast milk on the tear duct a few times a day, and it cleared it up within a day.
December 28th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
Caleb had the eye gunk issue too. Somebody suggested rubbing a bit of breast milk on the tear duct a few times a day, and it cleared it up within a day.
Really? That actually worked? It sounds so off the wall

December 30th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Im glad she's gaining weight!

Sounds a lot like how my Clara was. She would eat constantly. Of course, when she would eat she would look like she was in pain and gulp and cry and eat and cry. Ugh, it was awful. But it also is very normal for newborns to eat constantly. B RARELY goes more than an hour without feeding during the day and he isnt fussy at all. I wouldnt put her on any kind of feeding schedule. You cant overfeed an EBF baby but you can definitely underfeed them.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

December 30th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilhillrn View Post
Im glad she's gaining weight!

Sounds a lot like how my Clara was. She would eat constantly. Of course, when she would eat she would look like she was in pain and gulp and cry and eat and cry. Ugh, it was awful. But it also is very normal for newborns to eat constantly. B RARELY goes more than an hour without feeding during the day and he isnt fussy at all. I wouldnt put her on any kind of feeding schedule. You cant overfeed an EBF baby but you can definitely underfeed them.
She isnt wanting to eat constantly now (she is still very fussy but we know why now) But....
This 3hr thing is total crap She only ever gets close if shes asleep. Throughout the night and all day today we've been super lucky if we even make it to 2hrs. I've been trying to have her last at least till 2hrs or a little more but that is meaning crying and total meltdowns for anywhere from 10 minutes to 30. 30 minutes is the max I will force her to wait which at that point typically she is screaming like someone is killing her. Which is killing me and stressing me out even more.
I honestly didnt think this would work but am I crazy thinking its making her fussiness worse?

December 30th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Aww, poor baby, well, like I said, dont worry about that and just feed her if she wants to be fed. The eating probably does help her throat and so until the meds kick in, I would just feed her. Why does the doctor want her on an every 3 hr schedule? Babies will naturally stretch out their feeds once they are older.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search