Rough Night

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gardenbelle
  • 2 Post By rlh27
  • 1 Post By dickersons09

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2012, 09:14 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Do babies go through some kind of fussy phase around 3 weeks?

Caleb is usually a content little guy. He wakes to eat, plays for a little while, konks out, and then repeats the cycle. But the last 24 hours have been miserable for us. Last night he screamed for 3 straight hours and nothing I did calmed him down. Not nursing, rocking, cuddling, or gripe water. He's not sick or anything and I keep him dry. I felt so bad for my little guy He finally passed out from pure exhaustion. Today he's pretty much been screaming every waking moment, too. Nothing has changed either in our life or my diet. Is it normal for a content baby to one day become cranky all the time? I just want my happy guy back!
December 29th, 2012, 10:00 AM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
It sounds like you were in my house last night. Samantha was freaking out for 2+ hours last night. She refused a bottle, kept spitting out her binki, would be happy with a change in position for about 2 minutes then scream again. Event he gas drops didnt work even though they worked pretty good earlier in the night. Finally she fell asleep about 1am. She is doing okay this am, sleeping right now since I fed her.

Samantha has acid reflux that is causing her fussiness, maybe Caleb has something like that going on. Hope he calms down and goes back to himself soon.

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy
December 29th, 2012, 10:05 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yikes, Lucy! I hope today is better for you guys. I hate to say it, but 3 weeks is around the time that many babies get colic (that's when Penny started). I hope today is better and it was something simple like a growth spurt, a diaper rash, tummy upset, hair in the eye, etc...
Hugs!
hilhillrn likes this.
December 29th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I have a hard, itchy, somewhat painful rash on my breast. Maybe we both have thrush? Would that make him cranky? To make matters worse, my MIL just got into town today, and she drives me crazy. So I have a screaming baby and a know it all MIL who is staying with us for a week.
December 29th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Oh gosh I'm sorry to hear about MIL. I hope that stress doesnt make things worse.
Here is a website to Web MD. It as quite a bit of info on thrush.

Thrush Symptoms in Infants and Adults: White Patches, Bad Taste, and More

December 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hope you figure out something. I went through that with lorelei for 3 weeks straight and finally found a formula that has helped her. I know how you feel with mil. Mine has been here since since Christmas and i would like to kill her and dh now.

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

December 29th, 2012, 03:45 PM
It's definitely thrush. My rash has expanded to the other breast, and Caleb's tongue is white and isn't milk because it won't wipe off, plus he has a white patch on the right side of his lip. I'll call the pediatrician on Monday for Caleb, but which doctor do I call for myself? My OB? General practitioner? Or since you always treat both mom and baby, would his doctor be able to get me a prescription?

I'm hoping that's the only reason he's fussy and this isn't a new trend for him. I wish I knew how we got it, though. I boil everything his mouth touches and my pump at least once a day.

Oh, and is it time for MIL to go home yet? I was just told that he's too warm in his pants and long sleeve even though we're all in sweatshirts and it's snowing outside. She changed him into a short sleeve with no pants without asking me. She says she's here to help, but has asked me twice what's for dinner because she's starving. Um yeah, lactating mom who skipped lunch to comfort her newborn and was up all night trying to calm him down could care less if you're hungry.
taatie10 and dickersons09 like this.
December 29th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Either doctor should be able to prescribe for thrush. I hope it resolves quickly for you and LO.

December 29th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Either Dr can treat you for thrush but I would call my OB if it was me, just because its more there area.

I hope getting it treated helps him.

Yah I'd be telling MIL if your hungry then figure it out yourself, that would be helpful.

December 29th, 2012, 09:15 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry to hear about the thrush, I hope it clears up soon once you get some treatment. Keep us posted and tell your MIL to get her butt into the kitchen herself.
December 29th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Are their tongues not supposed to be white?
Rilynn's has been white stained (doesn't wipe off) since birth.

December 30th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No, their tongues are not supposed to be white. Should be pink and moist. The white patches are typically a yeast overgrowth.

December 30th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
It should be fine to ask either your doctor or the baby's doctor. They should both be experienced with it and can prescribe for both of you. My Ped. ended up prescribing a medicine for hubby while we were there...go figure. Hope when this clears up he will go back to his happy self.

Tell your MIL to make it herself or ignore her altogether. She should know better. Maybe she will starve and want to go home sooner.

Also, it's hard to know just why/where they get the thrush from. Maybe the binkie?
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

December 30th, 2012, 07:27 AM
He slept like his normal self last night! Went right down and only cried when it was time to eat

I don't know how you ladies with babies who are fussy all the time do it. I was going insane after just one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripstress View Post
Also, it's hard to know just why/where they get the thrush from. Maybe the binkie?
Yeah, that would make sense. I try to boil them too, but we have so many that it's easy to miss some every day.
December 30th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
He slept like his normal self last night! Went right down and only cried when it was time to eat

I don't know how you ladies with babies who are fussy all the time do it. I was going insane after just one day.
I always thought the same thing, now I know. Its really tough, worst part is not being able to comfort her. Thank heavens for DH and letting me get as long of a shower as I want as a break.
Last night she did better than past few nights. She only cried for about 30 minutes instead of 2 hours. Then she slept in her crib But she did get up more frequent during the night.

December 30th, 2012, 10:33 AM
dickersons09's Avatar Expecting #2
Just remember fussy babies aren't as bad as fussy toddlers! Enjoy the stage as much as you can regardless because it won't be long you are gonna have toddlers with attitudes :-)

I am reminded of this myself everytime the baby is fussy and then the toddler starts...
hilhillrn likes this.
December 30th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenbelle View Post
Yikes, Lucy! I hope today is better for you guys. I hate to say it, but 3 weeks is around the time that many babies get colic (that's when Penny started). I hope today is better and it was something simple like a growth spurt, a diaper rash, tummy upset, hair in the eye, etc...
Hugs!
Yup. I was going to say this. With my last playgroup, it was like all the babies lit up around 3 weeks old and didnt calm down for awhile. This is also when the "witching hour" for babies starts at night. They might scream and be fussy for a few hours every night, but it doesnt last forever. A couple months, I think?

There is a really big growth spurt at 3 weeks, too, that can make them hungrier/fussier.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

December 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Also, it's definitely possible for the baby to have a white tongue and it not be thrush. All three of mine have always had "milk tongue" that wont go away. B has it now but there are no signs of thrush. If you have thrush, youll have HORRIBLY itchy nipples.... Its unmistakable, and your nips/boobs will feel hot and get sharp shooting pains.

I would skip going to the dr about it, though. Gentian Violet is AWESOME at clearing up thrush. You can get it at many pharmacies behind the counter, just ask for it. You just dab a small bit in the baby's tongue and in your nipples once a day and it usually clears it up with a couple days. That nystatin stuff they prescribe is a pita and usually takes over a week to get it healed and even then it doesnt do a good job.

...Hilary...

December 30th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilhillrn View Post
Also, it's definitely possible for the baby to have a white tongue and it not be thrush. All three of mine have always had "milk tongue" that wont go away. B has it now but there are no signs of thrush. If you have thrush, youll have HORRIBLY itchy nipples.... Its unmistakable, and your nips/boobs will feel hot and get sharp shooting pains.

I would skip going to the dr about it, though. Gentian Violet is AWESOME at clearing up thrush. You can get it at many pharmacies behind the counter, just ask for it. You just dab a small bit in the baby's tongue and in your nipples once a day and it usually clears it up with a couple days. That nystatin stuff they prescribe is a pita and usually takes over a week to get it healed and even then it doesnt do a good job.
My nipples aren't ichy, just random shooting pains.
Now I'm all paranoid lol

December 30th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I had thrush bad with my first. It would feel like a nerve in my breast would just get this shot of pain every once in awhile. Mostly they were just horribly itchy and uncomfortable. And it would hurt and burn while nursing, too. Uugghhhh thrush is awful, reeeeally hope I dont get it again!

...Hilary...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search