Worst night yet

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2013, 09:59 AM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
Last night was the worst we've had i think.
From 945 to 1115pm Samantha screamed at the top of her lungs. No matter what you did. She would stop for a minute or two with us holding her then shed start up again for no reason.
DH took her in the other room with him for a little bit because I was so upset I was crying but after about 20 minutes he brought her to me saying he was gonna lose it. I was better by then, luckily gave her a bottle at 1115pm even if it hadnt been 2 hrs yet and then she fell asleep. After that she was fine, even slept all night in her crib.
I'm sure its the acid reflux and gas causing her pain But this is crazy. Nothing were trying is working. It seems they will work at first for a few days then we get last night.

Sorry had to vent, this is so not what I had in mind when we had a baby.

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy

My Ovulation Chart
January 3rd, 2013, 10:14 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I'm so sorry, Katie. I know how frustrating it can get. Have you talked to your ped about it?

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

January 3rd, 2013, 10:22 AM
Yah she wasnt much help. That is when she said she has reflux and that she should grow out of it by 4mos. All the things she suggested havent helped. The gas drops help sometimes I think.
The only other thing she said we can do is to try giving her Zantac. Which I called them asking them to call it in to the pharmacy this AM.

My mom got some Similac colic and fussiness formula so I think I will try that. I dont really want to give her formula but I up to trying anything at this point.

My Ovulation Chart
January 3rd, 2013, 10:41 AM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't have any luck with similac colic formula but the good start soothe has done wonders for lorelei. She was the same way for two weeks. Have you ate anything different that could have caused it? I have heard to much dairy can do that. Hope you figure something out soon

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

January 3rd, 2013, 11:11 AM
rucca1002's Avatar Veteran
Sorry you are having to deal with this Katie! My first born had gas issues for the first 3 months. We swore by Gripe Water (the gas drops didn't work at all) and we bounced him on an exercise ball while holding him flat, belly down on our forearms. That was the only way to keep him from screaming.

My second born screamed all the time for the first three months. Nothing worked with him... it didn't seem like colic so much at the time but looking back, it probably was. And in that case, there is nothing you can really do. Again, bouncing him on the ball helped. But he also had reflux too... so we just did our best to keep him upright after eating.

Good luck!!! It will get better!

Nicole

Proud mom to Declan (7/2008), Nolan (11/2010) & baby Emmett (12/2012)
January 3rd, 2013, 11:18 AM
dickersons09's Avatar Expecting #2
Hang in there. Look at this as just one of the many challenges of parenting! Nobody really talks about all the struggles and not so happy times, most people make parenting look like all giggles and sunshine! As she gets older you're only going to face different struggles on different levels so try not to sweat it too much...try and enjoy every second because they grow too fast to not enjoy when they are this small. Crabby or not!

I have a toddler you can borrow if you want Samantha to not seem so bad ;-)
January 3rd, 2013, 11:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like your doctor was about as helpful as mine in diagnosing reflux. :/ Try the Zantac and if it works, great. But for many babies, it doesnt. Like I said in another post, we did Prevacid and it worked wonders. If your doctor told you there arent any other meds for reflux for babies, thats total crap and she doesnt know what shes talking about. I would get a second opinion. Nothing frustrates me more than peds who really dont want to figure out why a baby screams in pain (saying its just "colic" means they dont know what it is) for hours a day. Anyways, I had to be my own advocate for Clara because I knew something was wrong (all that mommy instinct stuff ) but my ped wouldnt take me seriously and just told me she'd outgrow it. I had to straight up just ask him to prescribe Prevacid and could we try that, and he did thankfully and I did my own research about it and she got better.

Here is a website created by moms who were also fed up with peds lack of concern about reflux babies.... Reflux Rebels infant acid reflux and colic There is a test on there, also, to determine if your baby might have reflux and/or a dairy or soy protein intolerance. Many people dont realize that the two (reflux and a dairy/soy intolerance) often go hand in hand.

Have you considered going dairy free? In breastfeeding circles, if you have a very fussy baby, that is usually the first thing they will suggest doing. It really is the culprit in many babies (EBF and not).

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)
and NUMBER4! (due 7/4/2015)

January 3rd, 2013, 04:42 PM
I havent thought of going dairy free but I really dont think I could do that, too difficult since I'm kinda a picky eater.

I'm hoping the Zantac will work, once I can get it or the change to formula. I guess we will see tonight if she is as bad since this afternoon I started the formula.

My Ovulation Chart
January 3rd, 2013, 05:56 PM
Regular
With my son, I had to give him the gas drops in the bottle. Don't get stuck on feeding her every 2 hrs because the books say so. Just do what you need to do to get through it.
I know exactly how you're feeling. No one can prepare you for the anxiety and trying times of a fussy baby. People around you will try and help, but you will figure out what works.
Keep trying different things. You will get through it - I promise!~
January 3rd, 2013, 06:10 PM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aw Katie I can feel your pain. We have had some horrible nights. I'll just sit on the couch and cry. I hope, for your sanity, that something resolves soon. It's absolutely miserable. PM me any time at night. I guarantee most of the time I'm awake as well.

January 3rd, 2013, 06:29 PM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
I'm sorry, hun! I hope tonight goes a lot better and the Zantac does the trick.
Due with #2 on July 10

January 3rd, 2013, 06:47 PM
Momma_Mia's Avatar Super Mommy
Yah I try not to stick with a specific feeding schedule. If he acts like he's hungry I feed him whether its been 2 hrs or less

Thank you Jaidynsmum

January 4th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Crystalici0us4's Avatar Aubree Lynn's Mommy<3<3
If the zantac and similac don't work.. consider trying a soy formula. Aubree's doctor suggested Gerber goodstart soothe, which is for colic and fussiness and excessive crying. But that didn't help and neither did the zantac. I had been giving her gripe water religiously. Then, someone suggested I try soy. It really helped a lot. I haven't had to give her gripe water in almost a week. Good luck, I really hope you find a solution soon.

ETA - on the can of soy formula I switched Aubree to (Gerber), it says that its for sensitive tummies, and on the back of the can, it says "milk free & lactose free to help avoid fussiness and gas due to lactose and milk intolerance". And according to Aubree's doc, lactose intolerance is really common in babies. I hope this helps!

Last edited by Crystalici0us4; January 4th, 2013 at 12:18 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search