Anyone gonna be signing to baby?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gardenbelle
  • 1 Post By MarlowesMum
  • 1 Post By MarlowesMum

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Have you started yet?
When will you be starting?

What resources will you be using to teach yourself?

January 8th, 2013, 08:50 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
I took American Sign Lang as my foreign language in high school.
I remember some so I will probably do some signing. Dont know when though.

January 8th, 2013, 09:04 PM
I'm gonna start in the next couple weeks.
... And I'm embarrassed to say that even though I have a deaf brother I will be rebooking at books and a couple CDs I have.
Ill also be taking a ASL as a course soon too.

January 8th, 2013, 09:36 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did with my others and I'll do it with this baby too. It's pretty pointless to start before 6 months, so that is when we'll start. My first born started speaking very late so it was a huge help for him to communicate simple things like more, milk, all done, water, etc. My second born spoke early, so she didn't use it as much but she loved the sign language books and signing the objects as we flipped through.
hilhillrn likes this.
January 9th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Momma_Mia's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenbelle View Post
I did with my others and I'll do it with this baby too. It's pretty pointless to start before 6 months, so that is when we'll start. My first born started speaking very late so it was a huge help for him to communicate simple things like more, milk, all done, water, etc. My second born spoke early, so she didn't use it as much but she loved the sign language books and signing the objects as we flipped through.
I agree with Mary around 6 months...we didn't with my first but did with my second n it is nice to be able to communicate before they can actually speak

Thank you Jaidynsmum

January 9th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I'm planning on it. I need to figure out which books/program we're going to use. We'll probably start around 6 months.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

January 9th, 2013, 10:49 AM
LindseyF's Avatar Expecting 2nd Dec Baby!
I signed with DS & it was a God send. I could NOT imagine not doing it with Dalya. I actually use BabySignLanguage.com. It's free, easy, & just an overall great resource. I actually hold Baby Signs classes every month with a large local playgroup, just as an intro to baby signing.
January 9th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I did it with my girls. I love it, I encourage everyone to look into it! Both of my girls were/are very late talkers, so it has been great to be able to communicate before they could talk. With my first, I was a little more gungho with it and she knew about 50 signs total by the time she was 18 mos old. With my second, she just didnt want to sign much at all (still doesnt), and doesnt talk much still ugh, lol, but I did teach her the important ones like milk, drink, eat, potty, etc.

I dont start until around 9 mos old. They just dont sign back (at least mine didnt) before then.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

January 11th, 2013, 10:03 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes - I've already started using "milk" with Willa - although as Mary said - there's really no point before 6 months of age. Honestly, it's more about training MYSELF to remember to do this. DD1 is also excited to start using her signs again with Baby Sister.

We are totally looking forward to doing this again. Marlowe talked early and well, and it was STILL a godsend during those awkward months of baby/parent communication breakdown. I used a book that my friend had provided to me.

Like Hilary said, if any of you FTM are thinking about doing this - don't be surprised if you don't get a response from your kiddos for 2-3 months after starting this. There are a couple months where you are just signing AT them. Still so worth the effort.
gardenbelle likes this.

January 11th, 2013, 11:04 AM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
I would really like to but by the time she is 6 months, ill have a nanny taking care of her during the day so I don't know how realistic it is to expect the nanny to do it. I have to learn more about how involved it is.

January 11th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBump View Post
I would really like to but by the time she is 6 months, ill have a nanny taking care of her during the day so I don't know how realistic it is to expect the nanny to do it. I have to learn more about how involved it is.
You'd probably be able to find a nanny who signs already or flash cards are pretty easy to learn... Especially if your getting paid to.

January 11th, 2013, 12:01 PM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, if you can find a nanny that is at least willing to try this - then it's NO problem for you to do it and to easily implement it when you're with Agatha too. You honestly don't need that many signs to be effective, Stephanie. 6 will easily do. (I can think of the major ones being MILK, MORE, POTTY, EAT, WATER and THANK YOU.)
Dhartanya likes this.

January 11th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
we did it with Matthew and it was fun. And very helpful We only learned about 12 signs and once he started talking it went away pretty quick. I'll for sure do it again

Daffney

January 11th, 2013, 04:49 PM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's a great idea. I hope to be able to do it.

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!
January 11th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There are some neat DVDs, Baby Signing Time! you can get. We have the first two and my girls have loved them. I see them frequently on babysteals.com for good prices.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

January 12th, 2013, 04:21 PM
jamiemama90's Avatar Veteran
I've heard it can cause late talking cause they don't need to to communicate. Any truth to that?

On the journey to get into shape before TTC #2
January 12th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiemama90 View Post
I've heard it can cause late talking cause they don't need to to communicate. Any truth to that?
Not any truth IMO.
It's shown to actually speed up talking.
The only time it would hinder it, is if nothing verbal was ever said.
When you sign to baby, your also saying the word.

January 13th, 2013, 02:05 PM
jamiemama90's Avatar Veteran
Okay, that makes sense. My friend just signed to her daughter and her daughter KNEW how to speak but pretty much refused to most of the time. lol But speaking at the same time makes sense.

On the journey to get into shape before TTC #2
January 13th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiemama90 View Post
Okay, that makes sense. My friend just signed to her daughter and her daughter KNEW how to speak but pretty much refused to most of the time. lol But speaking at the same time makes sense.
Ya you definetly gotta back it up with a verbal cue.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search